Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

ziplock bags vs ball jars

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

2. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

Ziplock bags are bot oxygen proof, but might be good enough. How will you remove oxygen with ball jars?
  3. robinsmv

robinsmv Jun 24, 2010 Florida

Ive never heard of people using ball jars to store hops. Hops cousin is a completely different story.
    loony4lambic likes this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

I bought a used food saver on ebay for like $50 and have no complaints. You get what you pay for and Ziplock makes a living on disposables.
  5. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Aug 18, 2008 Texas

Ive stored hops in mason jars with great results, but I also purged the jars with co2.
  6. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Mar 17, 2009 New York

I have one. It works OK but not perfect. They seal just fine but once frozen they tend to loose their seal. I went to buy more the other day and my store had them all discontinued. So I am not sure if they ever still make them. Next purchase will be a food saver type bagger!

7. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I'm sort of surprised to hear more people don't use good food saver bags.
    How do you store hops? :)
  8. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

For me it's a non-issue. I buy them pre-packaged in 1 oz packs and I typically use them in 1 oz quanitites. I'm not a huge hophead. The most I have ever used in one batch is 7 oz. In 2012 I used 40 oz of hops, which included 19 different varieties, in 11 batches of beer. Average cost is about $2 per pack, so I spent ~ $80 on hops this year. 1-oz packages are expensive but give me great flexibility to try new things and don't force me to worry as much about storage.

I will only use partial packages of hops when I have plans to brew the remaining part soon (within 1-7 days, typically). Under those cicrumstances, I use ziplocks and the freezer. Also, I try to only use pellets because they keep better than cones. I recently brewed a batch with EKG cone hops and they were kind of bad - lost their best qualities. I was bummed.
    inchrisin likes this.
  9. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Exactly. I've been doing this for many years with good results. And I store the jars in the freezer.
  10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

I plopped the money for a foodsaver, especially since I have alot of whole leaf hops and they take up some serious room.

I've also bought some ball mason jars and there is an attachment to suck the air out of mason jars as well that I've been thinking about getting and trying out, atleast for pellet hops.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Foodsaver has a mason jar attachment to pull a vacuum.
  12. sarcastro

sarcastro Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I bought these and use them mostly for hops. I often cut them in half, seal one side, and use them for about 2 ounces per bag.

13. yinzer

yinzer Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

robinsmv likes this.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

15. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

As does my cheapo Black & Decker...but glass doesn't sound any better for hops than a primary (clumsy me : )
    inchrisin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!