Site Zombie Dust Vs. Alpha King classification

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by IamMe90, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamMe90

IamMe90 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Wisconsin

Hi all, was just wondering -

Why does everyone take so much issue with Zombie Dust being classified as an APA rather than an IPA, but I haven't seen anyone take issue with Alpha King being classified as an APA?

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why Zombie Dust could be classified as an IPA (6.4% and 60 IBU) but at the same time Alpha King is 6.6% and 64 ibu. So why doesn't anyone talk about that? Is it simply due to the fact that Alpha King isn't as popular/hyped? I mean, it's still a highly acclaimed and popular APA, even if it doesn't share quite the same celebrity status as Zombie Dust.

2. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (690) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

if it tastes like an IPA then it probably is.

Calling it pale ale just makes it seem like it is even better than it is.

it's like thinking a stout is amazing because it taste the most like chocolate milk.. well it probably is just chocolate milk.

3. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (581) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I think that it sorta speaks to how hop-crazy FFF is at times. What they call a "mild ale" (Pride & Joy), basically everyone else considers a pale ale. I've always suggested Alpha King to people looking for a good IPA, and I'd do the same for Zombie Dust if we got it more often.

hops_slut, fredmugs and pixieskid like this.
  4. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Totally agree with your first statement, but the stout to milk chocolate comparisson doesn't make sense:

"taste the most like chocolate milk.. well it probably is just chocolate milk."

Beer is beer, beer is not milk chocolate...

Duff27 likes this.
  5. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Alpha King is long since forgotten on the forums since the release/obsession of Zombie Dust...that's my guess. You pose a good question though.

Additionally, what are your thoughts on the new "session ipa"?

In my mind, it's just a dry-hopped american pale ale, which is nothing new.

6. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

This is a very good question. Blind fold a certified beer judge and they will tell you AK, ZD, and P&J are all American IPA's. With that said, I would drink those beers if the label said Hawaiian Punch!

SteelersX and fredmugs like this.
  7. Gotti311

Gotti311 Crusader (769) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I think it is more in the taste than in the numbers. For me an APA lets up towards the back of the mouth and is more mellow, where IPAs usually have one last bitter kick.

After tasting both of these beers, they really should be classified as IPAs, but the AK is more borderline than ZD

8. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (690) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

the second part was mostly just a joke.

9. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Alpha King was pretty hyped before ZD came out, and when it was I did hear this brought up. The craziest thing to me is that just a few years ago many regarded Alpha King as sort of a hop bomb. Iv'e always thought it was pretty malty for a pale ale or an IPA.

BrettHead likes this.
  10. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (6,374) Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We go by what the brewery calls it, and make our best guess otherwise. If you don't think it's 'to-style' feel free to mention it in your review and/or penalize the beer for it.

11. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (473) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

AK has been/was talked about as being IPAish on these boards since time immemorial

TheBushman and udubdawg like this.
  12. MrRockstar

MrRockstar Initiate (157) Sep 9, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Maybe I had an off batch, but when I've had Zombie Dust there was no mistaking it for an IPA.
    It's not near hoppy enough to be called an IPA, it was however easily the best Pale Ale I've ever had.
    It baffles me why everyone considers it such a hop bomb.

13. M1A2

M1A2 Initiate (191) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

o_Oo_O

14. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 California

Both could easily be considered Pale Ales or IPAs. Style classification doesn't really matter that much. Look at Grand Teton's Sweetgrass Pale. It wasn't winning any awards as a 6.1% IPA, they switched it to being a Pale Ale in classification and it started winning awards.

Same could be said about a lot of IPAs right at 7.2-7.5% winning awards (beers like Union Jack and West Coast IPA).

Alcohol % typically means more flavor. Not always, but often. So Zombie Dust might be considered a mellow, tasty, lower alcohol IPA, but as a Pale Ale it packs a serious punch.

15. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,259) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

I personally consider both IPAs. I personally think what makes an APA an APA is getting lost. It personally grinds my gears when somebody suggests ZD when someone asks for pale ale suggestions. But I'm not a style nazi so whatever, it is what it is. At the end of the day they're great beers.

16. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

Except when they labeled Permanent Funeral as a "pale ale".

Lol wut

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  17. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (6,374) Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah - I'm never quite sure what to make of Imperial Pale Ales or Double/Triple Pale Ales. They pretty much all go in the DIPA/IIPA category. The Imperial Reds seems to be evenly split between Amber/Red Ale and American Strong Ale - not sure what makes more sense there.

18. tectactoe

Mhm... The fact that someone out there is even trying to state a difference between an "imperial pale ale" and just a regular IPA seems kind of silly. More and more you see certain styles are kind of blending together due to the fact there seems to be some gaps in "style definitions" where a beer could be categorized as either; like stouts/porters, barleywines/old ales, and imperial reds as you mentioned. But at 10.5% ABV and 100 IBU - come on FFF - call it what it is. :rolleyes:

19. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Defender (631) Sep 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Double Daisy Cutter from Half Acre is a ” double pale ale” and I'd say in that instance the title works. Had the flavor of a pale ale (not hoppy like an ipa) and was 8% abv. Probably the only beer I've had where that style title maybe applicable

20. tectactoe

And I guess the only issue I have is when it's such a drastic difference like with Permanent Funeral, because other than potentially confusing consumers - what are you doing? With ZD, it's on the border between heavy pale ale and light IPA, so really it could go either way.

But Permanent Funeral has no mention of the ABV or IBU on the label, and it clearly says "Pale Ale" (and if I recall correctly, it doesn't even say the words "double" pale ale or "imperial" pale ale.... just "Pale Ale"). So people who may not know any better could think it's a sub-6% ABV, lightly hopped brew. I mean really - why not just call it a DIPA at that point?

I understand that most of the people who can/will get their hands on something like Permanent Funeral will likely understand this beforehand, but still....

21. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Champion (814) Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The best way I could describe Permanent Funeral is, well, delicious. Flavor-wise it profiles very similarly to Zombie Dust, but in an "imperial" sense, for what that's worth. At 10.5% ABV, I don't think anyone takes it seriously at its self-proclaimed "pale ale" label.

I really hope they have more of it available at DLD.

22. miketd

miketd Zealot (517) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

It's semantics, but nobody should care unless they're judging the beers in a national competition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe