Zwanze Day 2016 @ Jolly Pumpkin Oct 1st

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Runofthedill, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

Any info on this yet? Thought this might be worth having a post, assuming a lot of us OH/Michiganers will be making this trip.

2. jenna_4

jenna_4 Jan 8, 2016 Michigan

3. Smokesnotes

Smokesnotes Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

If you're not already in line, you're too late.

Runofthedill likes this.
  4. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

I'm just curious how it goes. Is this a ticketed event that you purchase in advance or is it a "line up hours before open" sorta thing?

5. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

It depends on JP.

The one I went to in Kansas City was ticketed with a really useful staggered approach to when people were able to arrive for pours.

Edit: stay away Ohioans! This is for Michiganders. :wink:

Double edit: I'll be in California at the time, so... one less body to worry about.

core42 and mcomben like this.
  6. mcomben

mcomben Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

I liked this because of the "one less body"...if I make it in, I'll drink one in your honor.

7. biga7346

biga7346 Jun 19, 2010 Michigan

There is no information as far as I know, the Zwanze Day loc's were just announced yesterday. My feeling is that JP staff will be very cognizant of the potential s*it show this could become, so I'm betting 100% it will be ticketed with possible staggered times for entry. Recent JP release events have been very chill lately but this is a whole other animal. At any rate, I'm sure there will be some good planning/structure in place so I'm not worried about breaking out the tent and sleeping bag.

Here's the FB link: https://www.facebook.com/jollypumpkin/posts/10154292976993700

LambicPentameter likes this.
  8. esktime

esktime Jan 21, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I messengered Jolly Pumpkin yesterday and they responded that this event will take place at the Dexter Brewery and tickets will go on sale a week or two prior to October 1st. NOTE.............Hotels are booking up now due to Michigan is playing at home that day against Wisconsin!!!!!!!!

ojgio likes this.
  9. biga7346

10. LambicPentameter

While it's too bad that only 150 of the 500 tickets are guaranteed a pour of the Zwanze beer, that brewery list is freaking insane. Even if some of those breweries don't bring their A+ level brews, that's a ridiculous list:

Jester King Brewery
    Anchorage Brewing Company
    American Solera
    Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co
    Tired Hands Brewing Company
    Monkish Brewing Co.
    Casey Brewing and Blending
    Side Project Brewing
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Revelry Brewing Co.
    Sante Adairius Rustic Ales
    Allagash Brewing Company
    Fonta Flora Brewery
    Creature Comforts
    Port Brewing Co / The Lost Abbey

I'm extra sad I'll be out of town now.

CowsandBeer, zacky_U and BEERschlitz like this.
  11. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Liked for the list... hate for the out of town part!

12. KRG

KRG Apr 25, 2014 New York

Any idea what time this opens? Trying to figure out if I can somehow manager to go to this and the Michigan game.

13. jenna_4

jenna_4 Jan 8, 2016 Michigan

2:14PM, but you're out of luck with either a 12:00 or 3:30 start time.

14. Mr_Abner

Mr_Abner Aug 22, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Tickets to the JP Zwanze Day event in Dexter are on sale now. FYI. Check universe [dot] com for tickets. Still available as of this posting.

15. Punisher1976

Punisher1976 Jan 4, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Not the biggest sour fan but my brother in law is so I checked it out. Am I the only one who thinks $100 is a bit steep.

16. K-jack211

K-jack211 Jun 22, 2014 Michigan

No. Especially since the $100 tickets don't guarantee you a Zwanze pour.

Gemini6 likes this.
  17. Punisher1976

Punisher1976 Jan 4, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

And if you do its 2 oz?

18. bcarter

bcarter Nov 17, 2014 Michigan

It's 4 oz, but still pretty small.

19. esktime

Trader

Nope, prices are very steep. Hence why every other brewery sponsoring zwanze sold out in minutes. As of five minutes ago......Tickets are still available.

Trillium did charge $100 for a pour of Zwanze. Two glasses (stemware), 5 pours, 10 inch Firestone pizza and ice cream. However, they are in Boston which is 4 times the cost of living if not more.

I am passing...

20. esktime

Trader

Hope Michigan gets Zwanze again, just at another Brewery

21. Mr_Abner

Mr_Abner Aug 22, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I am sympathetic about the price, but it is worth noting in this discussion that all profits from the event will be donated to charity. That strikes me as an important detail. From the JP Zwanze description:

All of that has us feeling pretty good, and when you are feeling good you want to help spread that feeling. That's why we partnered with the Detroit non-profit Feelgood Tap. If you have spent any time in craft beer breweries and bars over the last year you will most likely recognize the name. Feelgood Tap raises funds to support local and regional nonprofits throughout Michigan with a focus on community, culture, and wellness. Their recognizable tap handles grace dozens of bars throughout the state and every beer sold from that tap raises $1 for other Michigan based non-profits. So buy a ticket and feel good about yourself as all profits from this event will be donated to Feelgood Tap.

K-jack211 and sarcastro like this.
  22. bcarter

Yeah, I'm not as upset about the prices as others seem to be. The guest brewery list is pretty incredible, and several of them will undoubtedly be bringing some great stuff.

Jester King raised the prices last year so that they could pay for Cantillon's license in Texas, and it was $50 just for the Cantillon pours. I have no problem paying twice that to get the guest pours as well, especially when the proceeds are being given to charity.

23. beerindex

beerindex Jun 18, 2007 Michigan

It's fine to note that, but to me, it doesn't really matter. If I want to give to charity, I can do so of my own accord, rather than by way of a third party. Better still, I can give to a charity whose aims best match my own, and I can take a tax deduction. So to me, this really is just an overpriced ticket.

A few people have mentioned the great guest brewery list, but it comes with 10 pours. Meanwhile, Side Project in STL sold tickets for $75 that included unlimited pours from an equally impressive guest list, a guaranteed Zwanze pour, and a glass. All this does is make me want to not buy Jolly Pumpkin beers in the future.

24. LambicPentameter

Or they still have tickets because there are 350 general admission spots available total. I've only ever been to Zwanze Day once before but 500 (total) seems like a massive size for this event. Maybe others with more experience can correct me.

$100 for commemorative glassware and 10 pours from the stellar brewery list that will be pouring is steep but not unreasonable imho.

I think the point in noting it is so that no one makes any rash declarations about not wanting to support Jolly Pumpkin, as if they believed JP were participating in some kind of cash grab.

$100 is more than you wanna spend? Completely reasonable. Letting that cost have an impact on your purchase behavior otherwise seems less reasonable. I'd be shocked if the tickets don't end up selling out.

steebo777 likes this.
  25. core42

core42 May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I think the pricing is a bit too high but the truth is that since I have never been to Zwanze Day, I would begrudgingly buy it if I wasn't flying back in to town on 10/1

26. biga7346

Agreed. But it is disheartening to think about paying 100 getting there and walking away without any Zwanze at all. These are all things I didn't consider before buying my GA ticket. I'm now thinking about trying to sell off my ticket.

27. esktime

Trader

This is getting embarrassing for JP, 224 tickets sold, after more then 24 Hours. I would say the first 100 went to their Club members, meaning none went to the public for a taste of zwanze.

Meaning, another brewery with great expectations and terrible marketing skills.

First, didn't take into account all the hotels that would be booked for a home game with the highly ranked Michigan Football team playing at home in Ann Arbour!

Second, thinking they understand the people they represent and their following!!

Third, advertising it as all proceeds will go to a Charity Event as the reason to buy, which is stating everyone is ignorant and doesn't realize they will cover their cost and use ticket sales as a tax deduction and the additional beer sales as profit......hence the 10 pour limit............

With all this being said, hope you guys are not the first venue ever to not sale out a zwanze event

History you don't want to be a part of......I can afford the event, but we have to start drawing a line in the sand between the cost of Craft Beers and be Exploited

Punisher1976 likes this.
  28. bcarter

I'm not in the mug club and I got a VIP ticket...

Regarding your first point, JP has absolutely no control over an international event like Zwanze happening to be on the same day as a home game for Michigan. There are valid complaints about certain aspects of how JP handled this, but that is not one of them.

29. esktime

Trader

Costing would be, since afforadability would equal hotel and transportation cost for a one day event ... Economics 101

30. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops May 11, 2013 Michigan

I would pay $100 for 10 pours from the list of breweries that will be represented there. My issue is the proximity to Ann Arbor on game day and the lack of feasible hotel accommodations at reasonable price points.

31. the_King

the_King Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

Someone at Jolly Pumpkin told me they are in talks with the University of Michigan about getting them to change the date and/or move the football game. That way they could open up more hotel space. They are very concerned about their grand kids reading about them in history class as going down as the first venue to not sell out for a Zwanze Day. I'll let you guys know if I get an update on how talks are going with U of M.

32. esktime

Trader

In all Honesty, I hope they sell all their tickets and everyone has a great time.

33. AnchorDrops

Its a shame Jolly Pumpkin has to host Zwanze Day on, well Zwanze Day.

::raises clenched fist at Cantillon::

Alembician likes this.
  34. biga7346

I have to say, I am absolutely shocked by the slow sales at the $100 level. I mean, you'r still getting 10 drink tokens, a glass and that guest tap list is outrageous. I thought for sure they would sell out within a few hours.

Is the U-M game seriously having that much of an impact? Lessons learned for next year I guess if it comes back.

35. LambicPentameter

A fair point, and I certainly understand that. Although, let's think about this--

It's impossible to know for sure what size keg JP will receive for the Zwanze beer. However, I think we can probably safely rule out them getting a 1/6th barrel or similar size, because that would mean only 656 ounces or 164 servings--just over the bare-minimum number of 4-oz pours they need for their 150 guaranteed Zwanze pours.

So that leaves two possibilities:

A standard 1/2 barrel, which translates to 496 pours of Zwanze beer (just under the 500 they would need to guarantee everyone a pour)

A standard 1/4 barrel, which translates to 248 pours of Zwanze beer, meaning that as of right now (assuming that 224 sold is accurate), everyone currently going will be able to get a pour of the main event.

But yeah, it's still a risk, because there are still two weeks left for people to purchase tickets between now and 10/1.

I'm still curious how a 500 ticket limit compares to other Zwanze Day events. Anyone know? Most places I found details for online didn't seem to list their total tickets available, but the ones that did were as follows:

Jester King: 200 tickets
    Green Bench: 200 tickets
    Thin Man: 160 (for Zwanze pours only--the event itself isn't ticketed)

Then there are several events that aren't doing event ticketing at all, instead selling tickets for Zwanze pours on the day of the event. That sounds like an awful way to spend Zwanze Day--the same way you spend some rare beer release, lining up as early as you dare arriving and going should-to-shoulder with every other beer geek in the region that wants to get in on the action.

To address your specific points:

First, they cannot possibly have done anything about the hotel situation.

Second, I'm not sure what you even mean about understanding the people they represent... how dare a brewery think they understand their potential customers? :astonished: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Third, again, the fact that it's going to charity isn't, in and of itself, a reason to buy tickets. But it proves without a doubt that the ticket price isn't about a cash grab. Yeah, they'll write off the taxes, which will have a marginal benefit, and they may even sell some drinks and merchandise above and beyond the 10 drinks and glasses everyone is guaranteed. Of course, they'll also have to pay for the staff to handle all the people and other unforeseen expenses related to actually hosting the event, but that's neither here nor there.

I guess all I'm getting at is this: out of all the ways venues can miscalculate and screw up Zwanze Day, given how hyped they are, getting down on JP for having unsold tickets seems a bit nitpicky. No one is being "exploited" (to use your bombastic word).

Alembician, biga7346 and loganburgh like this.
  36. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

Cant be having the riff-raff show up and ruin this sacred event....
    #Ifartinyourgeneraldirection

37. AnchorDrops

It is too bad Jolly Pumpkin doesn't have other locations outside of the Ann Arbor area... :wink:

I'm not really complaining, it's just unfortunate timing, and personally inconvenient, not JP's fault. I'm surely not going to drink 10 pours of anything and just hop in my car and drive 2+ hours home.

38. Max_Power

Max_Power Apr 13, 2015 Michigan

My schedule for 10/01 has turned uncertain and I have already purchased tickets. If anyone is looking to attend and needs up to 2 GA tickets I would sell mine at a discount. PM me if interested.

Thanks.

39. biga7346

Heard from a friend of mine in wholesale that largepak Canty normally ships in 20-30L key kegs. I think it would be safe to assume that JP has at least 1 30 L keg (if this is in fact true) which equates to 1014 fl oz or 253 4 oz pours. Common sense would point to JP receiving quite a bit more than that, otherwise why sell 500 tickets? They risk a major clusterf*** if literally half of their guests walk away empty handed. They're obviously smarter than that, so my theory is that they are on the higher end for distribution given the size of the event.

I have loved JP from day one, and nothing that happens as a result of this event will change my opinion. Whatever decisions they made, I believe were based on making the most enjoyable experience for their customers. So yeah, I think that beating them up for something totally out of their control is pretty silly.

#39 biga7346, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  40. the_King

the_King Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

They only sold 100 tickets guaranteeing a Zwanze pour so they should be good. Flusterf*** diverted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.