Zwanze Day 2020

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jul 30, 2020.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,883) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Hi folks,

Does anyone know about the status of Zwanze Day 2020? I might have missed any announcements. I assume it’s off (another consequence of this pandemic) but perhaps there’s some alternative in the works. Would Zwanze-at-home defeat the whole point of the day?

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,529) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Isn't the whole point of the day to be able to enjoy an extremely limited release beer in one of a select few locations around the world? I don't see how this could be made to work on an at-home basis.

Jaycase, Vitacca and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,883) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Yes! And no! I think the larger goal is to build and support community. The beer is the mechanism that brings people together. A virtual tasting isn't the same, granted, but I'm guessing we won't be toasting in person anytime soon, either.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (833) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think this is the point for most people^
    Maybe rather than a ticket for zwamze day, you get a voucher to redeem for one bottle of zwanze over a month window for onsite consumption at participating establishment that has outdoor seating with applicable social distancing.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Devotee (408) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

IIRC Jean said Zwanze was all or nothing, meaning if it couldn’t be global/the usual experience he’d rather not do it

Was part of a zoom conversation with Allagash and RRBC from a few months back, I could be mistaken/there easily could have have been an update since. Cheers!

dcotom likes this.
  6. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,088) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

dcotom and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  7. dcotom

Society Trader

Well, crap, then. :slight_frown:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. dcotom

Society Trader

Just to clarify: While I am disappointed that I'll have to miss out this year, I do think that what they are proposing is workable and I wish them all the best with it. The Zwanze beer is special, but there is so much more that goes into the spirit of the festivities. A big part of the appeal for me was getting together with like-minded folks over great food and pour after pour of world-class lambics and gueuze from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Boon, Tilquin, et. al. You can't do this online, and it would be sheer folly to even try.