Zwanze Day 2020

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jul 30, 2020.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,905) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Hi folks,

Does anyone know about the status of Zwanze Day 2020? I might have missed any announcements. I assume it’s off (another consequence of this pandemic) but perhaps there’s some alternative in the works. Would Zwanze-at-home defeat the whole point of the day?

Premo88, JFresh21, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,565) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Isn't the whole point of the day to be able to enjoy an extremely limited release beer in one of a select few locations around the world? I don't see how this could be made to work on an at-home basis.

3. elNopalero

Society Trader

Yes! And no! I think the larger goal is to build and support community. The beer is the mechanism that brings people together. A virtual tasting isn't the same, granted, but I'm guessing we won't be toasting in person anytime soon, either.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (853) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think this is the point for most people^
    Maybe rather than a ticket for zwamze day, you get a voucher to redeem for one bottle of zwanze over a month window for onsite consumption at participating establishment that has outdoor seating with applicable social distancing.

SierraNevallagash and ChicagoJ like this.
  5. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Devotee (445) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

IIRC Jean said Zwanze was all or nothing, meaning if it couldn’t be global/the usual experience he’d rather not do it

Was part of a zoom conversation with Allagash and RRBC from a few months back, I could be mistaken/there easily could have have been an update since. Cheers!

FonyBones and dcotom like this.
  6. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,106) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

7. dcotom

Society Trader

Well, crap, then. :slight_frown:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. dcotom

Society Trader

Just to clarify: While I am disappointed that I'll have to miss out this year, I do think that what they are proposing is workable and I wish them all the best with it. The Zwanze beer is special, but there is so much more that goes into the spirit of the festivities. A big part of the appeal for me was getting together with like-minded folks over great food and pour after pour of world-class lambics and gueuze from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Boon, Tilquin, et. al. You can't do this online, and it would be sheer folly to even try.

9. d0n_nill0

d0n_nill0 Initiate (94) Jul 11, 2018 Denmark
    Trader

Himmeriget, a local bar of mine, which usually hosts Zwanze Day in my part of the world, posted this yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    Seems like not only is Zwanze Day happening (at least in Europe) but Blåbær Day is back on as well! Or maybe I'm reading it all wrong. Who knows? :slight_smile:

Premo88, SFACRKnight and SABERG like this.
  10. readyski

readyski Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Instead, and of course depending on how the current situation evolves over the next month, we hope to be able to organise an event limited to the European continent, that way any changes can be dealt with as swiftly as possible.

Well I do have (some) European blood in me, and some days feel more European than others. Perhaps that qualifies me?

11. elNopalero

Society Trader

I need a meme decoder.

d0n_nill0 and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

It may just be a Scooby Snack deficiency.

d0n_nill0 likes this.
  13. elNopalero

Society Trader

If only it wasn’t for those meddling COVIDs we’d have Zwanze day!

14. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,106) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

In case anyone was curious about the 2020 blend -

[​IMG]

15. dcotom

Society Trader

Not only has this SHAMdemic given me a huge pain in the ass and a huger list of words and phrases (e.g. COVID, coronavirus, social distancing) that I hope I NEVER hear again as long as I live on God's green earth, but now it has also robbed me of the chance to enjoy this beer. And enjoy it I would have. :rage:

Edit: YMMV.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,485) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm with you, I would have loved to try this one.

On the bright side, I did just score a bottle of Fou Foun and a bottle of 1900 Bruscillosa (sp?) So I'm pretty stoked out on my cantillon stash.

Wonder if we'll still get the little cantillon drop that shows up around zwanze this year?

Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  17. dcotom

Society Trader

That's what I loved about Zwanze Day. They had several Cantillon offerings available in addition to the Zwanze beer, plus many others I would not otherwise have easy access to. It might be worth checking with Schera's (the Zwanze Day host restaurant in Elkader, IA) to see if they'll have anything available this year.

Hope springs eternal...

18. Jack_14

Jack_14 Initiate (43) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Good morning Advocates,
    before doing a check and reading that this thread had already been started, I was taking the responsibility of opening a new one on this topic.
    Of course (work permitting), now I will also write in the Europe section.
    This extraordinary event for us conscientious drinkers is a fixed appointment at the end of September and also this year I will have the pleasure of participating, although with all the precautionary measures imposed by the situation.
    I personally had the opportunity to appreciate the Zwanze 2016 (blend of lambic with raspberry and lambic with blueberry with the addition of vanilla)
    Zwanze 2017, drunk directly in Brussels (of which unfortunately I was unable to bring me the bottle) which consisted of a Lambic with the addition of a particular oriental tea, remedied by a trusted infusion shop. It was the beer for Jean's son's eighteenth birthday. It was a great day.
    But obviously the Zwanze 2018 is the one that impressed me the most !!!
    Dedicated to Italy and the Italians ... with a label that included the glass of Cantillon placed in the manner of the Tower of Pisa !!! Drunk in abundance both in Belgium and here in Rome ... It consisted of a blend of lambics aged for two years (it seems to me) in Chianti, Amarone and Sangiovese wine barrels. Amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2019 edition escaped me instead ...
    So this Saturday will be the opportunity to taste the Zwanze 2020 which, as you well know, will have beetroot as its characterizing element.
    I CAN NOT WAIT !
    Below I put the list of places where the Zwanzw day 2020 will take place :

Austria
    • Tribaun, Innsbruck
    • Ammutson, Vienna

Belgium
    • Moeder Lambic Fontainas, Brussels
    • Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles, Brussels
    • Pasta Madre, Brussels
    • Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon, Arlon
    • Rose Red, Brugge
    • Café Pardaf, Antwerpen