Rosa Hibiscus Ale | Revolution Brewing

Rosa Hibiscus AleRosa Hibiscus Ale
3.51/5
Good
Rosa Hibiscus AleRosa Hibiscus Ale

Revolution Brewing
Illinois, United States
revbrew.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

Formerly Rosie and Hibiscus Wheat

Tart summer ale infused with 12lbs of Hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. Her sexy pink hue, leaves her to be desired.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 83 | Ratings: 675
3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours an off red, slightly copper-orange color that is clear with a strong and lacy head.
Aroma: Strongly floral and fruity. Hibiscus, orange, lemon. Maybe some cherry. Smells sweet.
Taste: Flavor does not necessarily follow the nose. Fruit is attenuated. Finishes completely dry with a cereal cracker malt. Lots of yeast pepperness. Not sweet nor sour by any means.
Feel: Slightly heavily bodied for a fruity beer. A little syrupy and sticky. I suspect due to the relative higher alcohol. However, it finishes completely dry and peppery with some yeast.

Overall: This is my first try at this beer and first at a hibiscus flavored beer as well. The fruit flavor is in the aroma, however in the taste the yeast and pepper dry any would-be flavor out. I would say it is one-dimensional. Lacking flavor and complexity for a 5.8% beer and starts to feel heavy and flat more like juice.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-dee red-amber tap pour with a very thin foam cap. The aroma is lightly floral The flavor is a tad tart and a little sweet with hibiscus and some lemon. The mouthfeel is not dry at all this would be an easy drinking quaff on a hot humid day.

3.84/5  rDev +9.4%

Had a tap sample from Revolution in Chicago. Light, almost to the point of being watery, but definitely refreshing. Smooth, little to no bite or bitterness. Hibiscus taste is not pronounced, it tastes more fruity than anything to me.

3.72/5  rDev +6%

Burgundy color on the poor pretty thick head good smell not much lacing pretty good little different I'd say it's so so from a fruity beer standpoint not one of my favorite but still I would be willing to try it again

4.76/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well I'm not much one for Fruity beers, this ale is totally refreshing without overpowering the ale with hibiscus.
Like a porter or Stout in the fall and winter, this is a refreshing summer change-of-pace.

3.46/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz can in Ohio.
Hazy reddish copper body with a good head.
A nice toasted grain base with a clear hibiscus note. Misleading tart aroma.
Medium+ body with soft, medium carbonation.

3.49/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look is transparent watered down cranberry red. Served with 1 finger of light pink head.

Aroma is floral and maybe cherry.

Taste follows nose with a little bit of tartness and an odd aftertaste. Kind of off putting to be honest.

Feel is light and crisp i just can't get past this aftertaste. It's reminiscent of when someone puts on too much perfume and you can almost taste it.

Overall not a bad beer I'm just wondering if the hibiscus isn't too much here....

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A rose colored beer with small head and a citrisy taste to it. Not bad the orange peel gives it the zing that it need to be a decent summer beer to drink

3.83/5  rDev +9.1%

Aroma is a little funky but the flavor has nothing funky about it....just a lot of cherry, berries, and breadiness....

I honestly have no idea what hibiscus adds flavor wise but this drinks nice. A good summer beer for sure.

3.81/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a red amber color. The aromas were slightly floral and had subtle cherry notes. Flavors had notes mild cherries and a light hop profile midway through. Slightly floral at the finish. The malt interplayed throughout with a sweet biscuity taste. Hard to note any hibiscus - but then I don't know what characteristics they have. Mouthfeel was light. Very good beer, I like this.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Look: A beautiful clear pinkish amber. Visible bubbles racing to the top to form a slightly off-white foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly after the beer sits.

Smell: A very present floral and herbal aroma. A little bit of citrus in the background as well.

Taste: The initial taste is a great balance of berries, especially grape, and floral hops. This brew is not bitter at all. In fact, I would say it's almost too sweet for my tastes. It starts off like a sweet wine, and it finishes with a slightly bready malt flavor with remnants of the berry and floral taste. I was impressed with this beer's taste. It was certainly unique.

Feel: Light to medium bodied with the right amount of gentle carbonation.

Overall: I was surprised that I enjoyed this beer as much as I did. I think it's a little too sweet for me to sit and drink multiple cans, but it is a tasty beer to have every once in a while.

5.8% ABV, 15 IBU. Steeped in hibiscus flowers. No other specs per the can or website. I think I paid $1.79 for the 12 oz can at Binny in Chicago.

Pours out to a beautiful light raspberry color, forming a modest white head with poor retention, sparse lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs or so. Nose of candy apples and raspberries. Mouthfeel is tart, bitingly astringent, medium bodied. Taste is interesting...definitely candy apple and raspberries, but not syrupy or cloying or sweet even. Sits on a firm bitterness and flavor of 2-row pale pops through. Lingering bitterness in the finish and an interesting woodiness in the aftertaste. No off flavors or aromas.

An interesting beer. I like the way the bitterness sits and it's easy drinking, quite full of flavor. Recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a deep pinkish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles and a solid two fingers of off white head.

Smell: An earthy and floral aroma with a scent of hibiscus and fruit. Upfront scent of hibiscus flowers. Pale malt with hints of grains, biscuit, and cracker with yeast. Fruit hints of orange and berries. Hints of grassy hops. Light scent of sugar. A solid and interesting aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, an earthy and floral taste with notes of hibiscus flowers and fruit. Big presence of hibiscus flowers. Pale malt with notes of biscuit, grains, and cracker along with some yeast. Some fruit notes of orange, apple, and berries. Sweet notes of sugar and some light earthy hops. A pretty nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp and very smooth.

Overall: A pretty interesting and solid spiced brew. Nice flavors from the hibiscus.

3.71/5  rDev +5.7%

Just tried this on tap the other night. I was not quite sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The darker color is definitely a plus in my book, and the spices in here - while my palate was not identifying them - made for a rather nice flavor. Definitely something I'll consider looking for at my local shop.

3.79/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12oz can into snifter. It is dark cloudy pink with a 1 finger dirty white head. Aroma is very flora with some hibiscus and orange flower notes. Flavor is both sweet and slightly tart, almost like a pale ale with citrus juice. Lighter feel and easy to drink. I definitely enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer.

3.49/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at Melt in Ohio a few weeks back.

It's alright. There's a corn-like flavor that pretty much dominates. A little more Hibiscus and orange peel with a different malt base or something would do wonders. Not terrible at all, just not memorable.

3.74/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 6/21/2016 at Natty Greene’s Tavern in North Attleboro, MA, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains berries, flowers, light caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of berries and caramel. Then a floral spiciness comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there’s a mild but complementary hops presence creating a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, this is a decent beer to drink for a while.

3.72/5  rDev +6%

Had first in a flight at Revolution's brewpub probably seven years ago. Had now from a can after riding a bike (in 95 degree heat and more humidity than is possible at 95.)
Best short summary: I waited for the best moment to review and increase my rating for Rosa. Refreshment is a relative measure.

Looks like not much. Too much red to be amber. Pink does not look good on a beer.
Smell. I get the hibiscus, actually a lot of it; but I can tell there is malt in there.
Taste. Almost any brewer that intelligently spices a beer with something other than just hops, I give the benefit of the doubt. And Revolution deserves much more than doubt here. This is a wonderfully refreshing beer that I will have again next year... maybe this summer.

How to improve Rosa ? I get an odd metallic closing at the end... but even that moves on because refreshment is what I needed most.

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am trying to get a running start for New Beer Sunday (Week 575) since I have a goodly number of beers set aside for the occasion. As always, there is a theme, but I do not want to reveal it quite yet. This review will be CANducted Sub Rosa. Suffice it to say that my travels, although currently limited, yield results and especially in CANs!

From the CAN: "*Fresh Beer [-] Keep Cold*".

I have to say, the approved pic saddens me. This should have been taken as a close-up to better CANvey the beautiful mauve color of both the flower and the upraised left fist. C'est la guerre!

The Crack! revealed a brimful craft CAN, but I want to be gentle with the lovely Rosa. The Glug went according to plan & I retained her beauty & clarity as a result. A swirl in the glass raised a brief finger of foamy, pinkish-white head, but Rosa was shy and it quickly went back into hiding. Her color was a Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with both NE-quality clarity and a slight pinkish hue. What a beauty! Nose smelled of perfume and springtime - blossoming flowers, honey/honeysuckle, freshly baked bread cooling on the windowsill. I swoon in response, my darling! Mouthfeel was light, gentle, a mere caress of my poor beaten & bruised tongue, left raw after so many AIPAs & DIPAs. Rosa, sweetheart, you have won me over. The taste was also of springtime, but now the strawberries had begun to ripen to accompany the perfuminess of the flowers, plus the breadiness of the malt became even more evident. Mmmm. Some reviewers characterized Rosa as a tart, but I really did not experience that. She was more of a delicate flower who, as I finished with her, kissed me on the lips and departed, leaving a slight sweetness in her wake. I CAN still taste her as I lick my lips in fond remembrance. If you see her, treat her with the respect that she deserves.

3.41/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark golden copper color with bright orange edges and a half finger white head that quickly settles. Decent retention with sporadic spots of soapy lacing left behind.

Floral aroma with a nice balance of delicate grassy hops and a sweet malt backbone. Citrus doesn't really comes through but the floral/hibiscus notes stand out as the most prominent characteristic in the nose.

Sweet and slightly tart but not sour or acidic with a stronger citrus zest presence than the nose suggests. This is countered by sweet malt and zesty spices. Slightly tart blood orange along with coriander, caramel sweetness, bread and biscuit. Not too complex but well balanced, refreshing and easy to drink.

3.31/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It looks cool when you pour it - it's PINK. It's very floral. After that, not much to say...let my wife finish the glass... and she loved it. Just not my style.

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at The Congress Hotel in Chicago.

The Beer is pink! I've yet to have a pink beer.

Smell is good with hints of hops and malts hidden in a sweet floral aroma.

Taste is also good. Very unique with the hibiscus flower giving that floral note in front of mails hoppy bitterness. Not something you find every day.

Overall the feel is ver good. Not strong is booze and even balance. I was able to have two mugs without any trouble. If you looking for something different today try this out.

3.89/5  rDev +10.8%

Can't say I have drank too many Hibiscus beers. I picked up this and one from Boulevard. Lets see which one is best!

A - PINK PINK muddy PINK! Slightly hazy with a 1/2 inch of head that takes a few seconds to dissipate.
S - Very floral and herbal almost like it was brewed like tea. Very spicy and malty sweet.
T - Floral with dry bitter hop notes and a semi sweet malty finish. Smashed flower petals in the after taste.
M - Very smooth I was able to chug this fast so I give it a light medium body grade.

Overall a very tasty flower spiced beer that makes me eager to try more Hibiscus beers!

4.48/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have not liked this beer in previous years. However, this year it has a lot more hibiscus flavor. I really like how they balance this flower with the green bittering flowers. Very nice seasonal beer.

3.61/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange-pink clear body, some loose carbonation, cratered white head. Floral, vegetal nose. Smells like a medicinal bittering agent, like those found in a gruit, was used. Taste adds strawberry-like fruitiness, while still keeping the herbacious aspect. Slightly sweet. Easy drinking feel, refrshing carbonation.
Good beer, albeit somewhat for the novelty. Love the appearance, good flavors, good feel, I think they amped up the intensity from previous years, for the better.

Rosa Hibiscus Ale from Revolution Brewing