Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Ratings: 1,206 |  Reviews: 231
3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev +1.6%

2.25/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.04/5  rDev 0%

Disclaimer: I do not enjoy Belgian wheat bears, pumpkin beers, or spiced beers, so I am not qualified to review this beer according to BA guidelines. However, I am working on expanding my palate and would like to try to give an objective review based on my expectations for the style.

Looks almost like a pale ale. Cloudy orange-yellow, with a quickly-disappating head.

I followed the instructions and poured all of the beer except for 1/2 inch, swirled, then poured the remainder. At first I thought these instructions meant it was bottle conditioned, but there is no sediment.

The smell is of hefeweizen, coriander, lavender, clove, and star anise. Pumpkin doesn’t jump out at this point, but it’s definitely a wheat beer.

I get more pumpkin in the taste - in fact I would call it pumpkin pie, as there is a sweet breadiness to it. That lavender nose persists to the taste, and I’m not sure it belongs - you could perceive it as a soapy flavor. There is citrus as well, but not the orange and grapefruit notes you get from hops. Sweet lemon, rather.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin up front, heavily carbonated (I’d say too much so for the style) but rounded and satisfying on the finish.

Overall, glad I tried this. Approaching a style you normally dislike with an open mind and respect for the style is a great way to learn about beer.

2.71/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

pours copper with transparent body. minimal to no head. Nose is typical cinnamon , pumpkin, clove. smells thin and watery if that's
Even something you can smell? anyways taste follows nose and body is rally thin with cinnamon and nutmeg swirling around with fake pumpkin and ending with watery clove spice. the nose said it all for me. watery with light pumpkin and clove. just an ok beer but while some pumpkin beers over do some of the spices this one underdoes all of them. having said that is better than some pumpkin messes because it is more balanced. but still not great. stick with pumpking.

2.51/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I have been drinking beer for 25 years and not once have I been so offended by the taste and smell of any beer. I realize not every beer is for everyone but can not believe people appreciate this. My wife and I stopped at a bar and took a chance on it. I took one sip and almost threw up she drank 4 oz of it and about threw up herself. We left the bar. Called it a $8 loss. Just minutes later she did vomit her lunch up and it had to leave a better aftertaste then the beer. Reminds me of the ripe sweet smell a terminal cancer patient has combined with a curry like smell. I'm sure some would argue it requires developing a taste for it. There are people that squire a taste for piss keep in mind. I refused to kiss my wife for hours there after as nothing would get the horrid smell off her breath including deep tooth brushing. Other beer etc. If you truely hate someone buy them a bottle of this nastiness. Or better yet dump one in their car. I would take down a gallon of toilet water any day over another sip of shock top. It is that nasty. Capable of making 2 out 2 people almost vomit. One really vomiting. May the bar tender who suggested this die a slow painful death of a std.

2.98/5  rDev -2%

3.24/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.16/5  rDev +3.9%

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.95/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Very slight pumpkin flavor, but this is more about the spices - but to me doesn't taste much like pumpkin spice. I am a pumpkin pie fan, so I would prefer some pumpkin (squash) taste but more of the spices associated with pumpkin pies. This beer does not hit close to the mark, but at least it isn't a squash beer like some others.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.41/5  rDev -20.7%

11/22/2012
Pumpkin, Allspice, Cloves, Nutmeg,Cloudy Orange, with a small head.Crisp Flavor, a tad sour, but not as bad as the Sam Winter Lager that preceded.A bit pasty, but light and drinkable.Festive and sweet; so nice for Thanksgiving. Wouldn't want one outside of the holiday "spirit".

1.72/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.77/5  rDev -8.9%