becoming a regular at new stores

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shredder83, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shredder83

shredder83 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

I don't want to bash them too much just yet, although I think that talking to one of the higher ups may help me get in good there. If I go there again and have the same experience I'm going to bash away!

2. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

sucks that the guy was a douche. i get recognized at the one store i do the most damage at, and at this point, if i want something, he'll take care of me. he's not a beer geek or a snob either, just a proprietor with a huge inventory.

3. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

This is such bullshit. I understand taking care of regulars but to have to put in time, money, and extra effort to get the "privilege" of spending your money on shit they're "selling" (or apparently not selling) is just ridiculous. That really grinds my gears :angry:

4. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I very much agree with that. It's ignorant snobbery. I'd be immediately taking my $$ elsewhere.

5. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

I love beer. But not enough to help jerks profit when I can easily get it elsewhere from people who will appreciate my business

Spaghett, Jwale73, nogophers and 2 others like this.
  6. shredder83

I think that this was the worst part of my bad experience there; their prices were pretty damn good compared to most shops I've been to, 1$ or $2 cheaper in most cases.

7. Kinsman

Kinsman Maven (1,433) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

Maybe chat with the manger/owner. In you're most polite/least whiny voice, tell him you're new to the area and they pretty much ruined any chance of you becoming a regular with their poor service. A business can't grow if they don't bring in new customers.

dianimal likes this.
  8. coachdicarlo

Big difference between being "under-staffed" and being "ahole-staffed"

boddhitree likes this.
  9. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

Than that might just be their usual service.

10. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Mississippi

I live in MS, we don't get a big selection of beer here. This would have pissed me off. When I go out of state I always look on here and check out the beer stores where I'm going. I usually spend $300-$500 on beer when I go out of town like this, this store would have lost a big sale. I would have walked out and went to the next store on my list.

11. taxman

taxman Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Illinois

I'd go back there, fill a shopping cart with items I wanted and ask them again about the limited beers, letting them know that you just moved into the area. If they gave you the same line about regulars, I'd just leave.

BlissJunkie and loafinaround like this.
  12. shredder83

That's why I had to post my disgust, because I thought it was pretty snobby to be turned away despite the fact I was spending my hard earned money at their shop. Places should be trying to make people like me/us want to come back and drop $40 a visit to get what we want they they're trying to sell. Because the selection and prices are good I may go back and hopefully my next visit is better or it will be my last.

dianimal likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Just go in frequently, strike up conversations with them, keep spending some dough on non limited stuff and they'll drop their guard.

creepinjeeper and JulianC like this.
  14. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Totally agree. I hate stores (of any kind) that seem to be more of a social club than a retailer. Having to ingratiate yourself with store owners or employees in order for you to spend MORE of your money there? F'in ridiculous.

To the OP, I would have left the $40 worth of beer on the counter (before paying for it), and told the guy "see ya" & never return. And if it was just an employee & not the owner with the attitude? Too bad. Owners need to have more of an eye on how their customers are treated. It's only beer, after all. There's plenty of it to buy elsewhere.

One of the reasons I actually like Total Wine is because it's essentially a beer warehouse. No, there aren't many knowledgeable employees, but there's no attidudes like this. They actually WANT my money.

15. shredder83

I like this idea alot.

16. dieBlume

dieBlume Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Virginia

Truthfully, I would have thrown a fit. Don't let people disrespect you if you're a paying customer. They are there to make transactions and make money - not to be rude and chase off paying customers. As said before by others, your money is just as good as everybody else's.

Also, the things other people are suggesting seem like such a beta way to go about it. You shouldn't have to bribe or buddy up to people to get good service. You're just reinforcing bad behavior. If they can't treat you like a normal customer, then you should take your money elsewhere. $1 or $2 cheaper isn't worth being treated like crap IMO.

</.02 cent angry rant>

17. coachdicarlo

yes, causing a huge scene would have been a great idea

GONZALOYANNA and tacosandbeer like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

That's how the world works though. The owners of the shops priority is to get repeat customers. If they sold all the limited stuff to new people that came in hunting shelf whales then they would let down their regulars.

The caveat to this is he was spending money on other non limited beer, so that makes it a little different, but the guy just walking off the street coming straight to the counter looking for a rare beer the store got one case of?....I couldn't blame them for telling them to go kick rocks.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  19. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Make nice with the owner. This is probably key to every good relationship I have with bottle shops.

20. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

If it was me, that would have made me feel better!

Then, I would bad-mouth the place to everyone I knew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.