Goose Island won me back

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ZDub, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZDub

ZDub Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2009 Illinois

Last night I was lucky enough be part of an invite-only tour of Goose Island's Fulton Street brewery. Like a lot of craft beer enthusiasts, I was a bit turned off by GI after they were bought out by AB. Outside of picking up a bottle of BCBS when I could find it, I completely stopped purchasing GI's regular beers.

That will change now though. Talking with employees and getting to see the R&D GI is still doing to create amazing beer has earned them back a ton of respect in my book. I guess on some level I expected to find AB's fingerprints on everything, but that wasn't the case. Aside from a few AB safety signs, the only mention of them referred to the millions of dollars they had put into GI, allowing them to make more beer and continue innovating. Our guide, an actual GI employee and not just a tour guide, had a passion for beer and was extremely knowledgeable about everything craft beer.

I walked away from the experience thinking that GI may be funded by the MAN, but they're still run by fellow Beer Geeks. How this will affect my purchasing in the future as the big boys snatch up other craft breweries remains to be seen, but for now, I can't wait to see Matilda and Sofie back in my cellar.

2. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

While I completely understand supporting the little guys; Matilda, Sofie & BCBS are way too damn delicious to not buy. I've also read about how their product shouldn't be compromised, but funded to make it more widely available. AND, they upped the sizes of their bombers and charged the same price!

Loops, LuskusDelph, CJNAPS and 13 others like this.
  3. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

But, but, but, but, but, AB Inbev!

:rolling_eyes:

Edit: Sarcasm, for those who don't have a sarcasm detector.

Loops, LuskusDelph, EchoesZ and 16 others like this.
  4. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I've said it once, I'll say it again...

Drink the beer that you think tastes good.

Unless it's the 60's and everyone is high again, we ain't here to "fight the man."

Loops, LuskusDelph, aasher and 14 others like this.
  5. Nachojon

Nachojon Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon

But, Matilda and Sophie aren't very good.

6. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

My philosophy: If the beer is good, I'll buy it.

I buy plenty of other products that are produced by large corporations. Why should beer be any different? Occasionally buying beer from a BMC brewer doesn't seem to be putting my favorite craft breweries out of business.

7. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree and I buy what I like, regardless of who makes it...a good product is a good product to me. I think Goose Island is a solid brewery and almost every single thing I have had from them thus far I have really enjoyed. Case in point I tried their 25th Anniversary Ale last night and thought that it was great!

8. gyberic

gyberic Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 California

Goose Island never lost me. The AB/InBev ownership is weird, but BCBS still tastes like it did when it became my favorite beer and will probably remain in that slot until it tastes different.

9. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

I agree with the if its good buy it.

When reading posts about not buying it b/c of AB, I always think how many of the people that don't buy say GI anymore, shop at Home Depot, eat TGI Fridays, shop at the chain grocery store and not at the local hardware store, the farmers market or the local burger place....

Loops, dictator, peteboiler and 14 others like this.
  10. trh70

trh70 Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2011 Florida

Although I am dissipointed that GI sold out to Inbev, GI still makes its own beers. While Inbev handles the marketing and distribution. This does two things, gets the beer down here to florida and still make some damn good beer. If and when Inbev takes over the brewing process as well, then I will tell them to piss off.

Loops, gyberic and jreindl like this.
  11. jreindl

jreindl Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

I personally was never worried just because AB got involved. Goose is still great. Oh yeah, and what mani said.

Loops likes this.
  12. Nachojon

Nachojon Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon

Sorry, in my opinion... previous remark.

OldRickSputin and Pecan like this.
  13. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

Going to Wrigley then heading to Goose Island will always be a great day.

14. mtomlins

mtomlins Pooh-Bah (1,561) Mar 12, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

not trying to get into the whole, "my opinion is more correct than yours" argument, but I though Sofie was awesome! I also hope that with a bit of extra funding, the BCBS won't be as hard to find or trade for.

15. jeevo

jeevo Pundit (952) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Subtle boast at being invited to a private Goose Island event.

16. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Matilda, very good. Sofie, eh.

Givemebeer likes this.
  17. Tomhet

Tomhet Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 Illinois

It could very well be due to my ignorance of the nuances of the acquisition, but this interview seems to point at nothing but good things for the barrel-aged program and other assorted specialty beers that everyone cares about.

18. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Take it from the guy who quite some time ago said he would publicly apologize for bad things said about ABInbev and thank them if they ever made BCBS easily available. Then had to do it right here on this forum, haha. Life is too short not to drink Sofie, BCBS, and especially the coffee variant, and so many other of their beers.

19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I buy what I like, however I do factor in a compay's practices/philosophy/ethics..etc. IFor example, I have been watching the Goose Island debates here on BA, and as of now, I'm no boycotter (<--new word:flushed:). But I have and will boycot products from companies who I have reason to do so.

20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

^^^ Again with well-said wisdom cavedave. I like reading your posts.

hoptheology and Uncleserg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.