Nov. 1: Monstro Release/Dark Arts Release

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by jwillbowen, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwillbowen

jwillbowen Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 North Carolina

Is anyone else trying to do both releases on that day? I have a ticket for Dark Arts so I believe I have until 6 that evening for pick up and the release for Monstro is at 10 a.m. so this seems like I should have plenty of time to do both. However, this will be my first two bottle releases and I am trying to cram them into the same day so was just looking to some experienced folks to make sure I can make it happen. Either way, hope to meet some great folks on November 1st! Cheers!

2. Robyn

Robyn Savant (1,054) Dec 20, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

I'm planning to. It should be quite doable, since DA isn't a release, so much as a reservation.

3. mccorvey

mccorvey Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina

Me too.... first releases for me also. I wanted to go the party in Asheville on the 31st, then hit Charlotte the next morning, but I couldn't find a room in Asheville. :angry: So I am going to drive the other way around on the 1st. (from Boone) It's a lot of driving, but I am pretty excited.

NCMonte and cardsfan like this.
  4. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

Im doing both. I was really looking forward to the Halloween party at wicked weed and all of the special beers involved. As soon as Monstro was announced, it took immediate priority for Friday night. Id like to think i could control myself at wicked weed enough to just have a couple tastes and drive back to charlotte to get in line for Monstro, but thats just silly talk. Instead, Im gonna head up the mountain Sunday for some good ol Sunday Funday Asheville style and grab my bottles then. Im hoping Noda will allow bottle sharing and i can replace the void of the WW Barrel party with some nice bottles. Hopefully i will still have a little bit of liver left from the epic Saturday to make it up the mountain.....Monstro morning, Sycamore grand opening and Drive by Truckers at the Filmore sat night. Gonna be an awesome weekend for sure!!!!!

Robyn likes this.
  5. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

I'll be doing both, as well. I'll actually be hitting up the WW Halloween Party on Friday night. Then doing Monstro Saturday morning. After I get the bottles and enjoy Charlotte for a little bit, I'll be headed back to Asheville for the rest of the day. It's going to be a crazy weekend...

6. abb610

.......the life of a beer geek.

7. caaam

caaam Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 North Carolina

Anybody that doesn't have a reservation planning to do both? I'm hoping I can make it through the whole process pretty quickly; it'll be a trip from Raleigh to Charlotte, then to Asheville, grab a beer or two in AVL and then back to Raleigh that night. Anyone else doing this sort of craziness?

8. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia

Planning to do both, just trying to figure out which way to do it. The original plan was WW Friday for the party, then spend Saturday in Asheville and go to Yarn or James McMurtry, but WW prices and NoDa release changed things. Now considering hitting NoDa Friday night, bottle release Sat AM, then driving to Asheville for WW bottles and one of the shows. However, it`s mighty tempting to stay in Charlotte for the DBT show Saturday and take chances on Dark Arts bottles Sunday in Asheville. Either way it should be an ejoyable and expensive birthday weekend.

NoDa closes at 9:30 on Friday`s right? We may not be able to get there until about 8:00-8:30pm.

abb610 likes this.
  9. jwillbowen

jwillbowen Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 North Carolina

Thanks for all the responses. Really looking forward to that weekend. I will be staying in Charlotte Friday checking out all the breweries and doing the same in Asheville Saturday night. Looking to spend a bunch of money! Ha

10. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Zealot (650) Sep 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Also doing both My plan hit NoDa on the 1st. ,and pick up my bottles of Wicked Weed on the 2nd. then drive back to Jacksonville ..

11. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

As long as I get a bottle of each from whoever. Thanks!

12. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

Both of these sound great, but I just can't afford the driving in addition to both bottles, which I'd probably purchase several to make the drive worth. The NoDa beer seems reasonably priced. But $20 for a 16 oz. bottle from WW is pushing it. Not knocking the price, just hard to do. Although, I did use to buy $10 12 oz. bottles of DFH 120 Minute IPA. I hope everyone enjoys themselves. Interested to hear how NoDa's release goes.

13. NCbeerfan138

NCbeerfan138 Aspirant (292) Mar 18, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

I was planning on that same trip, let me know if you wanna carpool.

aam, post: 2867308, member: 740846"]Anybody that doesn't have a reservation planning to do both? I'm hoping I can make it through the whole process pretty quickly; it'll be a trip from Raleigh to Charlotte, then to Asheville, grab a beer or two in AVL and then back to Raleigh that night. Anyone else doing this sort of craziness?[/QUOTE]
    I was plan

14. jayro65

jayro65 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 North Carolina

I'm thinking about also doing both on saturday, coming from about 30 east of greensboro. Without having one of those tickets, whats the honest chance of getting something from WW if i hit noda first? or should I head to ashville first?

15. abb610

I think you will be fine heading to wicked weed after monstro. Monstro will be the harder beer to come by and you can buy it a couple hours earlier than ww opens.

16. jayro65

jayro65 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 North Carolina

Cool thanks man. My first bottle release(s), so wasn't sure how lucky, or probably unlucky, I'd be!

17. a1369864214864

a1369864214864 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2011 North Carolina

So if the release is at 10, would getting there at 8 be early enough to get bottles? This is also my first release and I'm new to the area, so I don't know how crazy these things get.

18. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

I'd think so, especially if there really are around 2,000-ish bottles. Really I'd think you could show up at 10 a.m. and be fine. It's tough to say, though: NoDa has done bottle releases for beers like TriUmphant, but of course that won't draw the crowds that a more limited bourbon barrel-aged stout will. I don't think anyone really knows what to expect right now.

19. a1369864214864

a1369864214864 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2011 North Carolina

I just saw a tweet from NoDa confirming that a case of Monstro is 12 bottles. So if they're sticking with the one case limit they must be confident there's enough to go around. And I doubt many people will be buying the limit (I know I won't be).

20. Renegawam

Renegawam Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 North Carolina

I was totally going to pick-up my Dark Arts bottle after the Monstro release... until I saw the tap list pouring on Halloween at the Funkatorium. Now it looks like I'm going to pull an all-nighter if I can find/hire a DD to get me to Charlotte by sunrise....

New Belgium Brewing, NBB love's Leopold, Dark sour aged in Leopold's Blackberry Whiskey Barrels.
    Fullsteam Brewery, Rum Agricole Barrel Aged Cack-a-lacky, Ginger Pale Aged in the ONLY barrel of wood aged spirit ever produced by High Wire Distillery.
    Dogfish Head Beer, Burton Baton, Oak Aged Imperial IPA.
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Bourbon Barrel Aged Narwhal, Aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels.
    Founders Brewing Co., Backwoods Bastard, Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotch Ale.
    Allagash Brewing Company Evora Wild Ale, Aged 16 Months in Portegese Brandy Barrels with Brett.
    Stone Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard, Aged in Basil Hayden Barrels.

And from the Wicked Weed Brewing barrel house:
    Whiskey Barrel Aged Old Fashioned, Old Ale with Sweet Cherries + Orange Zest.
    Dark Arts Wild Imperial Stout, Barrel Aged for 12 months in Bourbon Barrels.
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Weiz Ass, German style Weizenbock.
    Blissful, Bourbon Barrel Aged Triple with Vanilla, Star Anise + Licorice Root.
    Gin Barrel Aged French 75, Ale Inspired by a Gin and Champagne cocktail, brewed with Lemon Zest and Chardonnay + Prosecco Grape Must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.