Darkness Day Trading/Shares Thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by mrpeterandthepuffers, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Your initial quote of mine I will confess to not being as semantically precise as possible: what I meant was "Before last year, if you arrived by 7:30 AM you would not have been shut out".

Other than that, saying that the last wristbands were given out to those who arrived around 3AM in 2012/2013 is unadulterated bullshit. Every year for the past few years, for no other reason than idle curiosity & having time to kill, we've watched for the last wristbands to be handed out & chatted with the folks who got them, & the people around them, to see when they arrived. Before the line disaster of 2014, it was NEVER EVER before 7:30 AM going back to 2008. And though I don't keep detailed records of such things, I believe it was 2011 when the Surly volunteers were actually standing around at the back of the line, doing nothing, actually waiting for more people to show up so they could hand out the last wristbands.

Please don't feed the hype machine, especially with hyperbole that simply isn't true.

2. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota

Last year was the first year I had been shut out at the open release. Wasn't too happy about that. Then again, I could have bought many times more than that at liquor stores, up to a week after release, so whatever.

It also didn't help that people had multiple wristbands. I saw people who were wearing long-sleeves and pulling bands up into their cuff, then getting back in line with their next band. I don't know how they swung it, but it happened.

In any case, I just hope I can go for the bottle sharing fun this year. Wifey shut it down last year. I've got a Vanilla Rye BCBS and a Mexican Cake I may bring with me. We shall see.

3. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (1,060) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I've got some de garde to share as well

4. maximum12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's messed up, I've never seen anyone do that before, but I was assuming that people at D-Day were mostly cool. I suppose I should have realized otherwise the past few years with the Zombie Prius, dumpster fire, the guy that pooped himself (damn, was that a funny couple of threads), & beer being stolen out of coolers. But I'm an eternal optimist, I guess.

5. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Savant (1,058) Dec 23, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Has anyone heard of a bottle count for 2015 Darkness? Hopefully there is plenty to go around and having to arrive by a certain time is a nonissue.

6. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Well, I picked up feloniousmonk after his shift at Blue Nile in 2013, and we arrived shortly after 3. We were among the final recipients that year, and again in 2014. Call it unadulterated bullshit if you like, but a fact is a fact. I've been in the final color group two years in a row, arriving between 3 AM and 4 AM each time.

7. maximum12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wouldn't trust anybody who knows that guy...

Sounds like we have different facts. <hugs>

8. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Zealot (584) Jul 17, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

2011 - 2013 for sure did not sell out before 7:30 AM. In 2013, I showed up at 6 AM and people well after me got wristbands. I believe that same year, people were strolling up at 10 AM and getting wristbands as well. Might have been 2012 where there were volunteers waiting at the end of the line with handfuls of wristbands waiting to give out to people yet to show up. This is first hand information, though years may be slightly off. 2014 was an anomaly compared to at least through 2011. If BA bottles are sold this year though, then expect a similar size crowd as 2014.

maximum12 likes this.
  9. lysergicdream

lysergicdream Pundit (841) May 13, 2010 Colorado

roadtripping from Denver with some friends, looking forward to sharing some goodies in line with a few new friends. added a line to the spreadsheet but if there are any colorado locals people are interested in trying, let me know and i shall do my best. bringing some Casey and Crooked Stave to share and trade so if that is your thing, be sure and hook up. planning on being in line around 5:30 - 6:00 (pm) so just look for the four guys that have no idea where they are going!

arniepnminne likes this.
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

There were also a TON of line cutters last year. We arrived at 3:30pm and were roughly 300 back per my sober count. The next morning our wristbands were in the 800s. I really hope Surly is able to do something about that this year, because that was outrageous.

11. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Pundit (813) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

A small group of us are looking for a couple bottles to be shared - see the stars and FO.

If you have one of these bottles and want to share with us maybe we can work something out. Or if you want to hang with us the whole time that's cool too. Shoot me a pm.

12. tribeerguy70_3

tribeerguy70_3 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2015 New Jersey

Didn't see anything in the excel but does anyone know if any of the following will show: FB Last Snow, FB Snowed In, CC Marshal Zhukov?

13. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

Last Snow and Marshal Zhukov will almost certainly show up. Snowed In has a lesser chance but is still probable.

14. tribeerguy70_3

tribeerguy70_3 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2015 New Jersey

Thanks! Have all and was considering what to bring.

15. nograz

nograz Maven (1,390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Just because it may or will show, there is no reason not to bring it. I would just bring what you want to drink and share.

DBijnagte likes this.
  16. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota

There will be well over 500 people there. Overlap will not be an issue for anyone.

17. Josholson666

Josholson666 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota

Thanks for this! I added some stuff to the spreadsheet. Don't have any crazy good things to share (i'm still in college after all), but I'm bringing some central waters (scotch and stout), rum king, itasca loonedragon, and possibly a bigfoot vertical (not sure if I want to save this for family thanksgiving or not). Looking forward to meeting y'all, will be my second dday but first campout.

Jack_Deichert likes this.
  18. shawnp

shawnp Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota

[​IMG]

#whalezopen on Twitter for bottle time and line location.....Lol

@theshwig

19. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

That's one hell of a group.

Not sure what I'll be bringing yet, but I think this is the new one to beat.

20. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

not a contest....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.