Sand City Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by guinness77, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You're right, drinking and driving is a big problem, that is not what my rant was about, but I totally agree. You asked how I got home, I drove there, picked up my cans and headed home where I had a couple of cans in the safety and comfort of my own home. I would have loved to stay for the party, but I don't drink and drive. Fortunately my wife does the driving when we are somewhere that requires driving and any brewery drinking is done in the city where I can take a train and a subway to get around.

As far as breweries getting shut down, I am sure there are more examples, but Alchemist had to shut down and move because of complaint by a neighbor. Monkish looks like they won't have Saturday releases any more because of massive lines and rampant drinking in the line.

The camaraderie and sharing beer is a great aspect of the craft scene, if people want to share beer with friends, why not do it at someone's house instead of the streets of Northport.

Comparison_Ford and cosmicevan like this.
  2. jkearns33168

jkearns33168 Aspirant (288) Feb 10, 2015 New Jersey

Any word if they sold out of both cans?

paddyfrankie likes this.
  3. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Wondering the same thing.

4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Trader

I agree that sharing is better outside of public places, but some of the best shares I have ever been to have been beer releases or in bars where techincally it is not legal. Beer releases used to be big events where the line share was the reason to go, but then the scene just got so much bigger and higher profile so we can't have nice things anymore, but some light sharing shouldn't aggravate you to extremes (if it does, I just can't understand this hobby bringing you more joy than frustration). Even when a bar or brewery allows you to open and share beer inside, they are risking losing their license or trouble, but these things go down. I hear what you are saying about people sharing in the line and I am not advocating for it, but to me, if done casually and discretely and the brewery doesn't have a problem with it, then I don't really see the problem. The brewery was open and employees saw people sharing and could have very easily said hey guys keep it down or please don't drink on the line, or anything...but they did not. Not saying that is open season for a raging party, but I think you get my point.

As for the other breweries who experienced neighborhood troubles, I assure you that the primary driver was not that people were casually sharing a few IPAs or bottles on line, but rather their behavior and rowdiness while sharing. Neighbors don't want to be disturbed...a can cracking open wont disturb a neighbor, people shouting and being rowdy and parking illegally and creating unwanted traffic and garbage...that's what pisses off neighbors. A brewery being there means people will be drinking (except in Treehouse's case where they are not allowed to serve). If the neighbor didn't want drinking, they would have been against the brewery period.

At the end of the day, people are going to be people and I wouldn't worry about Sand City getting shut down because of people drinking a few beers on the line. You have every right to be annoyed by the behavior but don't fear shut down.

cavedave and jrnyc like this.
  5. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2008 New York

paddyfrankie likes this.
  6. HansCastorp

HansCastorp Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2007 Ohio

Haven't been here in a couple months, but I have the sense it's getting pretty popular. How crowded is it on an average Friday evening? Wasn't sure if I should expect wall-to-wall people or if there is usually some space available.

cheers

7. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I find myself in this weird predicament where I can sit here and type about how I don't think it would be a smart idea for people to drink in line, but then when I'm in line if someone were to offer me a really good beer I totally wouldn't say no...:stuck_out_tongue:

8. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Said the exact same thing. What a great beer. Two tremendous cans last weekend.

cosmicevan, jrnyc and guinness77 like this.
  9. dar482

dar482 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,039) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Couldn't have said it better.

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. Cernst28

Cernst28 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 New York

Def kicking myself I didnt max on "One". Had another can last night and wow! Does anybody know if they are doing growlers?

11. jrnyc

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They weren't during Anni party, but it still is on tap at brewery, maybe now?

12. cosmicevan

Trader

I couldn't agree more. I think that bottle sharing
    No growlers of even mo, one, or rebellion as of the other day.

13. zeuiax

zeuiax Initiate (0) May 1, 2016 New York

This is my first time trying Sand city beers. What a treat. 'ONE' is similar to Trillium GFPPA but not quite but very well constructed and enjoyed every drop if it.[​IMG]

#213 zeuiax, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  14. zeuiax

zeuiax Initiate (0) May 1, 2016 New York

[​IMG]As a Mosaic slut...this has to be my mosaic wet dream. What a fantastic beer, extremly ripe mango, pineapple, banana (yes banana), basil, grapefruit, dank as liquid weed. How can i get more ....Jesus this is top notch

15. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Maven (1,293) Apr 4, 2014 New York

Dope photos, man. Love the way ONE looks in the glass.

algebeeric_topology and Msudukie like this.
  16. cosmicevan

Trader

definitely the best mosaic ipa I have had

17. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Might have been Race Day. I think Noggin might go down and get it themselves.

paddyfrankie likes this.
  18. jrnyc

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am a big fan of Mofosaic, but feel it is 1/2 a notch below being really well made. Even Mo Mofo although not my favorite beer, is incredibly well made. Sand City is right up there in the conversation with the best IPAs in the Northeast.

#218 jrnyc, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    algebeeric_topology likes this.
  19. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 New York

I've been telling everyone that sand city is king of LI. Second wave and fade to jade are also great.

Anyone notice that the cans seem slightly under filled? Maybe they are still figuring out the canning line.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  20. jrnyc

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

King of Long Island, that is a no brainer at this point, they are in the conversation with the rest of the northeast now.

ArsMoriendiOU818 and Jtbel1988 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.