Nugget Nectar non-hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SunDevilBeer, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

I've been around the craft beer scene a while & seen things come & go. Happen to be enjoying a delicious Nugget Nectar from a can right now that I picked up at my leisure on my way home tonight - this certainly wouldn't have been the case 5 years ago.

I think NN is just as good as ever, if not even better in the readily available cans. In a way it saddens me that a good beer like NN has certainly been passed by beer fans for the latest/greatest.

Troegs has a great rep & I respect them immensely- but I see problems for breweries like them with beergeeks quest for the latest/greatest, & specifically the latest haze/juice fad which I feel is not sustainable.

Just a rant from a long time beer geek...

SFACRKnight, ceeg, ovaltine and 34 others like this.
  2. Hoos78

Hoos78 Maven (1,303) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I understand what you're saying, but there really isn't anything to be bummed about, is there? Nugget Nectar, an excellent beer, is more readily available...that's good news! So long as Troegs continues to brew it, no worries.

Enjoy your beer!

3. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Grand Pooh-Bah (3,485) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I definitely see where you're coming from. But it's really just an evolution, but it's all relative. You look at how much the top beer list has changed over even the last two years. We are all guilty of forgetting a delicious beer that at one time was at the height of its existence for some new shiny hopped up-barrel aged brew. But I find that you can lose passion in what you do love, in favor of what you don't have access to; or can't get without sacrificing your first born child. I still want to try Zombie Dust and several other overlooked beers nowadays that say 2-4 years ago people were drinking like it was going out of style--which in essence they were right to a degree. You've got the right belief system though! Enjoy what you have access to! Probably rambling at this point, but I do hope you're wrong and these "classic" awesome beers stay relevant and don't get tossed aside and forgotten totally.

Cheers!

4. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

Should probably post this in the beer talk section.

1Sundown2C likes this.
  5. SunDevilBeer

Pooh-Bah

Totally agree - for now- but what about 2 years from now if this continues?

Yeah, I'll probably find something else to drink.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  6. SunDevilBeer

Pooh-Bah

Nah, I think this belongs in the Release section. In years past the NN thread was crazy with folks chasing it all over. Now? crickets. Sign of the times, as I think NN has actually gotten better in recent years personally.

7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I get what you are saying and point. However, I will take non-hype over too much hype.

I would say red ipas/red ales seem to be less popular these days. People don't want to taste malt they only want hops.

I miss flipside IPA by Sierra Nevada. At least I still have modern times blazing world

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, that's one of the few remaining. Disappointed to see Aurora off the 2017 MT calendar. Guess I'll have to hope Red's Rye makes it to Norcal in more that kegs.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  9. beermeplz

beermeplz Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 California

try stone pataskala yet? great stuff too

10. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Good stuff indeed, however, the red x malt doesn't have as much character as most other reds brewed with crystal and chocolate Malts.

beermeplz likes this.
  11. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Missed that last year. Sounds good.

12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My store got 20+ cases. We still steadily have around 10. It used to fly out. Now it just coasts. Doesn't take away the fact it's a great beer.

User_Name, tone77, jcos and 2 others like this.
  13. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Pooh-Bah (2,224) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I made easy trades with it just last year. Flash forward 12 months later and it's nobody wants it. Crazy.

SFACRKnight and Harrison8 like this.
  14. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm sure Troegs has increased production of it the past 5 years as they've grown as well. Sure some cases may sit but those stores might be getting double what they did just a few years ago.

It's too bad they switched away from the 16 oz cans, I'd imagine those would sell better given the current trend

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I do.... I just about had a trade lined up for NN and First Cut this year, but it fell out. I should say though, I didn't pursue NN hard this year since I got shut down so much last year.

To respond to OP, it is a bummer for the brewery, but that's the function of a competitive market. It's also nice when you don't have to chase down a truck to get a beer. I love Hopslam, yes, I still do, and this year I was able to get several 6ers for myself, and I picked up another for an exchange with good friends a couple weeks after it was released. That would not have been possible a year or more ago.

It's a bummer knowing I don't have anything worth trading for Treehouse, Trillium, or Other Half, BUT in a couple years, I may be able to trade a local mix six to get their stuff, and there will be another brewery or two's stuff I can't get. I can't wait.

16. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

5 - 7 years ago, (or so) there were lines waiting for the NN to come out, and now... nothing.
    You're right about that.
    I think mostly it is about the latest and greatest, but also tastes are changing. Most of the in demand beers, as far as the hoppy side of things go, are basically all hops flavor and aroma, and no malt. NN has a pretty prominent malt backbone with the hops. Also, the hops themselves are not the in demand ones. Have the same base but call it Citra Center, with the nugget hops switched out, and it would A) get an immediate 5.0 / 100 rating, and b) fly off the shelves like nothing else.

17. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Agree with the first response, it sounds like this is perfect....a readily available beer you really enjoy? No chasing or hype driven beer fans in your way? Win-win.
    They'll still be making it in 2 years. Probably.

Harrison8 likes this.
  18. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Guess I am gonna be the one to say I don't think it tastes as fine as it used to taste. Two years ago and last year we all thought it must be a different beer. This year seems better but not as fine as I remember it. I like that it is easier to get, but we get a locally made hoppy amber around here that is such a better beer that I barely give NN a thought anymore.

19. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 New York

agreed on reds and ambers

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  20. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

You can call it evolution, but really the trend is a move a way from diversity. There have been a few posts in this short thread mentioning how the demand is for hop-driven beers with virtually no malt character. Malt is what makes beer beer.

There's room for a wide variety of flavors in beer, and sure, some of them can be tropical, juicy, whatever. What kills me, though, is that IPA's proliferation is necessarily to the detriment of other styles. I realize that is the economic reality (I'm so fucking sick of people saying "it's what the market demands!!!!" like it's an insightful comment), but as someone who loves beer as a concept and cultural artifact, in addition to as a delicious beverage, it's genuinely disheartening to see this "evolution" essentially breed out the history of it.

I regularly see posts from people who can't find classics like Sierra Nevada Stout or Porter because the market demands nothing but hops and Sierra Nevada has to respond to that. What ends up getting lost are the historically important beers that made the scene today a possibility. I'm not saying there's anything that can be done because it is what the market demands. What I am saying is that it sucks.

User_Name, LeRose, Harrison8 and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.