Visiting Portland - Fall/Winter 2016-17 update

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (1,032) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

...and my 12-shipper arrived safely today, with a bottle of fantasia, 2 bottles of nectarine donuts, 4 cans of sticky hands, crowler of double stack, bottle of cherry adam, bottle of matt, bottle of baerlic woodworker harsmellow mountain and a bottle of breakside BBA salted carmel. Success!

2. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Speaking of Upright... I'm bummed they discontinued Four, Five, Six and Seven. Had a Six over the weekend. I'd forgotten how good it was.

3. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I hadn't heard that. Bummer. Five was my fave from that series.

BBThunderbolt and 66jzmstr like this.
  4. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

BBThunderbolt and distantmantra like this.
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Well that would explain why I don't see Upright bottles as much at the store.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  6. Rhisa09

Rhisa09 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2017

Any beer at Saturday Market? Thought I'd ask!

7. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Crusader (453) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

IIRC I think Rogue has a stall but thats sadly the only one I can think of.

8. guajolote

I'll be doing the spring update sometime in the near future. So far, I'll be adding Ross Island Brewing to the "Newcomers" section and adding the link for the new WW Beer Guide.

Any other suggestions for adds or subtractions? I'm wondering if some of the sections should be pared down a bit, but I don't want to rustle any jimmies by removing the "wrong" brewery or beer bar from the list. A lot of new craft-centric spots have opened in the last year or so, but there hasn't been much buzz around here about any of them, so there probably won't be any new adds to that section. I'm willing to listen to pitches though.

9. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Anyone had beers from Pono Brewing? I've started seeing Untappd checkins recently.

10. zestd

zestd Savant (1,027) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

Haven't been, but they followed me on IG like a week ago and seem very active.

11. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You do a great job with the thread, I'm inclined to vote for trusting your judgement.

12. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

So.... that outlet mall in Woodburn. Is there anything beer related nearby? Wolves and People is too far away and not open until 4pm on Friday. I need something to do for an hour while my wife shops before we head to Eugene. Thoughts?

13. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There's some sort of Mexican food brewpub in the area, but I don't know anything about it. Down the road a bit in Keizer is the Growler Movement growler station. Have always wanted to visit (given the name), but have never been there otherwise. They used to advertise in the Oregon Beer Growler magazine, but that was sometime ago. The tap list looks OK.

http://growlmovement.com/taplists/keizer/

You're not all that far from Salem. Maybe head down there and hit the B2? Gilgamesh is fairly close as well. Shrug. Not the greatest selection of beer destinations for sure... You might be better off just picking up something from the Fred Meyer in Tualatin (they do growler fills) and calling yourself good.

Good luck.

14. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I was thinking about Salem, but it's 25 minutes there and then 25 minutes back to B2 or Archive so I don't have much time for actual beer consumption.

Argh. This is some serious first world problems.

15. guajolote

Yeah, Salem/Keizer is too far if you only have an hour. There's a Red Robin at the outlet mall. I've seen billboards that say they have craft beer, but haven't been to one of those places for years. Woodburn is a wasteland, as far as I know.

BBThunderbolt and distantmantra like this.
  16. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I shouldn't have looked at B2's taplist. Dammit.

guajolote and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There was some sort of Mexican brewery..Trapala in Wood burn..have not heard much,
    There will be a mexicn/Latin American themed brewery opening soon in West

18. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

West Salem.Xicha Brewing..will be centered on latin American beer styles and foods.
    This is great to see given the huge Hispanic population in Salem and Woodburn

66jzmstr likes this.
  19. dphi

dphi Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Had a couple citrusy IPAs (Tropical Thunder and El Garrote) from them that were pretty solid for a new brewery.

The Beer Station in Wilsonville is right off I-5 and usually has a pretty solid tap list although it doesn't look like they have any standouts currently.

distantmantra likes this.
  20. derkruk

derkruk Devotee (373) Oct 22, 2004 Washington

Closest brewery in Salem (Keizer actually) is Vagabond. 15 minutes or so from Woodburn Outlets. Check their hours. That might work.

distantmantra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.