New Beer Sunday (Week 648)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by lordofthewiens, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for sharing your stories!

2. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

De Ranke Guldenberg Triple

Howdy do, BAs? After a productive weekend, I'm excited as hell to be leaving for Belgium in ten days. Looking forward to revisiting a bunch of beers I've only had once before, and to trying some new ones. Getting in the spirit, I'm currently drinking a new-to-me one from De Ranke, a brewery I've only tried one other beer from.

Guldenberg pours a bright gold, highly effervescent, with a massive yellow-tinted head that becomes quite airy and leaves heavy lacing. It obviously becomes a bit cloudier as more yeast gets added to the mix towards the bottom of the 75cl bottle, but the first pour is very clear.

Dry yeast, green apple skin and a hint of earthy wooden something or other show in the aroma.

There's slight pear and apple sweetness, with a little cream and even some vanilla, up front in the taste. More earthy hop bitterness than I normally expect from a tripel on the backend, then a mildly yeasty, semi-dry finish.

Light to medium bodied, with a little prickly carbonation and light smooth creaminess in the feel.

I don't like this much bitterness in a tripel, but it isn't bad. Expiration date of 11/03/20. Would be interesting to try this and other dry-hopped tripels fresher. I find they come off a little stale when they finally make it to my glass, distracting from the depth of the malt flavors.

Despite being one of my favorite styles, tripels aren't really at the top of my list for this trip. That said, if I see one I haven't had before on tap, I may give it a go.

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Whacking Day! a 4.1% ABV Irish Dry Stout served on nitro at twin Elephant Brewing. This is a nice stout. It looks, smells and tastes just about the way one would expect a Dry Stout to. There is a nice dry long lasting finish. A very enjoyable sessionable brew you could drink all day.
    This is not the sort of beer I expect to find at a small local brewery. I enjoyed it and so did everyone else who tried it.

Lingenbrau, 2beerdogs, BJB13 and 15 others like this.
  4. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

A collab beer from Untitled Art and Forager Brewing called Florida Weiss. The beer pours a very bright magenta with a 2 finger fizzy light pink head that leaves some spotty lacing on my glass. Aroma is very heavy with tropical notes, specifically guava, and hints of lime. Flavor really hits with ripe tropical fruit, that guava again, some tart kiwi and lime. Feel is light bodied with prickly carbonation, quite refreshing. This is one of the better flavored Weiss beers I have had.

[​IMG]

5. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Slowly getting up to speed today with this Kindred Spirit Ill Subliminal IPA

[​IMG]

Looks another North East Style beer. Nose has this ever so barely dankness over floral grapefruit. There's something else here that I can't fully explain, but I'll offer this much; it's like a fresh fabric smell maybe? Ok, guess I can't really explain it at all. Taste is easier. Straight up grapefruit with slightly garlic edges, finishing with what can best be described as that taste from those fancy salad greens. Body is satisfyingly light and crisp, less so than many of the other hazy beers I've had. Not necessarily watery thin, but plenty easy-going drinker. Aftertaste is bitter with a floral design, with little else left.

6. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sounds good. :slight_smile:
    Sweet, though?:grimacing::grinning:
    Chokecherries (Prunus virginiana) live up to their name, being very tart, and astringent. Good, intense, cherry flavor is part of it too, so it's not all pain & palate-shock. I was only a kid, but Grandpa H.'s chokecherry wine was beyond "dry". The adults' facial expressions seemed to confirm my kid-sip impression. (I helped pick & make it, most years, so a taste was due.) :slight_smile:

2beerdogs, BJB13, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  7. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

I loved the personification of the feel of the beer you gave!
    Hoping those healthy peach harvesters got some good dope!!

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,422) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Smelled like it to me!

9. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Grand Pooh-Bah (3,144) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A nice summer day with some relief in the humidity here on the island. The clouds and sunshine have been battling back and forth with looming threat of some much needed rain on the way. No beach today so I'm relaxing at home watching more baseball. Not to brag to much but I'm looking at another nice week of vacation which I plan to drink many great beers.

On docs friendship note I cannot agree more. My good friend, who now lives in Manhattan, is usually who I am with when hitting breweries and bars all around the area. We have been friends since the first grade.

My new beer today is Lil' Heaven, session ipa, from Two Roads brewing. The brew checks in at 4.8% abv, a 6/2/17 bottling date, and it features azacca, equinox, and mosaic hops.

A pretty blonde color on the pour with amber highlights. Hazy clarity and a good white head. With the nose I get hops, citrus, and white wine. The drinking starts with nice tangy citrus hops upfront that flows smooth toward a nicely bitter finish. Nice pine and resin with a mix of citrus fruit flavors. I'm getting orange, lemon, and grapefruit. I'm really impressed by the bitterness it delivers. The mouth feel is on the lighter side but it does not stray to watery at all. It has a very pleasant frothy feel which really makes it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I really like it. Very flavorful, and the bottles claim of "crushable" is just spot on. Perfect for a hot summer day and I will be buying more. I'm in the 4/4.3 range here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, Lingenbrau, Bluecrow and 37 others like this.
  10. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Happy Sunday fellow NBS'rs.....I would like to thank @Dragginballs76 for the opportunity to try this new to me beer. Friendships and Fantastic beer always go together well.

At any rate here is the beer :

And here is my review:

Many thanks Mike!

11. puboflyons

puboflyons Grand Pooh-Bah (4,225) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

I attended my 40th high school reunion in Vermont this weekend. Yes, I am that old. And of course when I go to Vermont I usually pick up some Vermont beer. Released in 2017 so it is a new beer.

In this case it was Hogback Park Filling Station from Bristol, Vermont with a 5% ABV. It is marked as a Kolsch by the brewery.

But unlike most Kolsch's I have had - this one steeps in rich sweet, caramel and toffee malts with a low to no hop profile. The body is medium or better and very smooth. I was hoping for something toastier and lighter and this was not the case.

[​IMG]

12. woodchipper

woodchipper Grand Pooh-Bah (3,321) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cigar City Invasion Pale Ale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First, read that 1st sentence on the back. I wan't there, so what do I know but WTF, every year for 100 years. WAKE UP TAMPA!

The beer-
    Picked this up on a road trip Friday. Canned 6/23/17.
    Poured to a nonic. Pours a nice medium gold, mixed size bubbles, mostly tiny. Reasonable lacing.
    Nice aroma, citrus, pine.
    Taste is a nice hop start, mild malt in middle, dry finish, hint of alcohol.
    Overall I really like it.

13. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Grand Pooh-Bah (3,187) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Liquid Riot Brewing CO's a beer has no name DIPA
    -deep brown can pour (date not found, but purchased in Portland, ME) with an initial 2 cm foam cap that dissipated quickly to no visible carbonation. Aroma of sweetish malt and pine hop. The flavor is malt dominated with some hop resin atop. Finish is somewhat flat. Three cans were similar, perhaps they got heated up or other.
    [​IMG]

Lingenbrau, 2beerdogs, BJB13 and 29 others like this.
  14. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

G' afternoon NBS-ers! Been away for awhile and it's nice to be back. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for the nice post about friendship. As I sit here on the last Sunday Pops will be here visiting until he comes back down in October I am reminded how much I put him and Mom through when I was a teenager and how I never thought, at that time, I would be "friends" with my parents. But right now in my life, other than my wife, he's the closest and best friend I have, even more so since Mom's passing. That's not to belittle any of my other friends, but it's just the way things are at this point.

So let's get at today's beer, #beerwithpops, as it is! First let me give a huge THANK YOU to @SammyJaxxxx for this one!
    [​IMG]
    I guess you could say this one was a little limited...
    [​IMG]

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Snorkel glass.

Appearance: Dark brown to black body with a creamy tan-khaki head.

Aroma: Roasted malts, coffee, bourbon, vanilla.

Taste/Mouthfeel: First sip/impressions, so smooth creamy. coffee, vanilla, bourbon and coconut are prevalent. Almost drinks like a milk stout without a hint of the 13.5% abv. Not even a bitterness to it! So balanced it's ridiculous!

Overall: This one has a lot going on and is really exceptional. Beautiful looking beer, an aroma that is inviting and a taste that is beyond words better than I expected.

Cheers!

15. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Happy NBS.
    The first of what I hope will be four new ones.

Canned 7/17/17.
    [​IMG]
    I think the head on this was white, but can't swear to it. :rolling_eyes: Went away before I could focus. Smells of pepper, a vaguely clove-like estery aroma, and a mild, citrus fruity aroma, that tweaks the upper part of the nostril, with a little sharpness.

Taste is pretty similar to aroma, with the addition of something a little fruity, (apple+peach+strawberry+very ripe red raspberry) and a little sweet, that rounds off the sharpness of the (Meyer)lemon zest. Assuming that this is the rose hips.(Apples,pears,raspberries,strawberries,quince, & stone fruits are in the Rosaceae, btw.)

Has a smooth, lightly oily feel, with pleasant, mildy-prickly carbonation, on the tip of the tongue, and the back of the throat, on the finish. A light, drying bitterness lingers on the tip of the tongue.
    I like it, but don't love it, because of the clove, though I might like it better in hot weather. It did get better as it warmed. As this is just six days old, I'll stagger drinking the rest, in hopes that it will mellow, and blend. All-in-all, good, & worth a try.

[​IMG]

4.01/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

You can probably add .25 to smell,taste, & overall, ratings, if you are less averse to clove. (I like it, in VERY light doses. :rolling_eyes:)

16. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy NBS, everyone. Dick, thank you for a thoughtful intro! The heat and humidity have finally broken so it's an appropriate day to review a Barleywine. This is Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. The bottle date was 10/3/2015. While I typically prefer an English Barleywine because it's less bitter, this one is really well crafted. I made the mistake of opening it too soon out of the fridge because it took awhile to experience some of the tastes. Here's my review:

4.12/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/3/2015. Poured into tulip glass. It pours a dark copper color with orange hues, and a finger of creamy, khaki-colored head and lacing with good retention. The nose features sweet malt, caramel, tobacco smoke, and a slight char. The first think I taste is caramel on the tip of my tongue but at mid-sip it becomes quite bitter with a lot of char. As the glass warmed, I began to taste more dark fruit: black cherry and raisin, as well as some licorice. The taste became increasingly complex. This is another beer that should sit for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before drinking. It has a medium, fairly creamy mouth feel, with pleasant carbonation, and you can both taste and feel its 10.2% ABV. While I'm generally more a fan of English Barleywines than the American variant, I'm liking Third Coast a lot!

I hope you're all enjoying your new beers today. As always, I look forward to drinking a beer with you all, and reading your reviews!

17. richj1970

richj1970 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,687) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Crazy hot day in the deep south, and certainly time for a new beer!

Got an alert on Thursday that my local shop got some Westbrook goodies in - a bit of Mexican Cake, and a new IPA called Rinse/Repeat. One bottle/can limit on each.

Decided to crack open the IPA today. First time I've seen a beer self proclaim shower tested and approved, but I like the sentiment.

Notes below. This is a well executed NE style juicy IPA. Just wished I could have landed more than 1 can.

[​IMG]

Poured from 16 oz can dated 7/14/2017

A: Straw yellow with dense 2 finger white head. Lasting retention and leaving moderate lacing.

S: Big whiff of citrus as soon as I started the pour. Mango, passion fruit, and tangerines. Cracker malts.

T: Lightly sweet citrus dominates the flavors. Mango, passion fruit, and orange juice.

M: Medium body with average carbonation. Very refreshing and easy drinking.

O: Excellent IPA. The can says shower tested and approved. I think this would indeed make a nice shower beer.

18. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

On to new beer number two after returning home, showering, and resting. A few stiff joints have joined my aforementioned "injury" - I'm not sure if I can blame age or being out of shape more.

Anyhow, this offering comes by way of @BJB13 and is from a brewery from which I have not had a beer until now. This is Mambo Sauce from Black Flag Brewing.
    [​IMG]

As I poured this, I was thinking this could be decent. A nice, fairly clear beer with an amber body greeted me. I didn't get much in the nose, but it seemed as if it had a light tropical note.

The pour was deceiving me on the nose aspect. Bringing the glass to my nose brought some unexpected heat at first. This died but didn't leave completely. Closer inspection brought a more malty aspect along with a grain and grass component.

This again was a deceiving - to a much lesser degree. While the taste did show some thick maltiness, it included a tropical fruit syrup taste. The beer wasn't syrupy thick, but this aspect brought a little more heft to the beer. The back end was introduced the green grass but parlayed that into a more pine needle end/aftertaste.

Might get in one more before the day comes to an end...

#58 cjgiant, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  19. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]not the beer I intended for new beer but I haven't had it before and all that's available at my nephews house

VABA, Chipotle, Peekaboolu and 15 others like this.
  20. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Trader

Good evening BA's thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting this started. When I moved to South Carolina 5 years ago I left behind a friend I have had since kindergarten, we have not spent many days apart until I moved here. A short time after moving here I got into craft beer after I met a new friend who is heavily involved in the beer I am drinking today since he picked it up for me after I had been searching for it for several days. Westbrook Rinse/Repeat I have to say it is a very well done IPA with lots of tropical flavors and some nice hop flavors coming through in the taste as well. Here is to new friends and old, if not for the new friends I have made on BA I would not be able to try many of the new and wonderful beers I have had over the last year or so.

Appearance 4- Pours cloudy orange with nice dense white head. Lost of stringy lacing around the glass.

Aroma 4.25- Mango, tangerine and pineapple. Lots of tropical fruits not much other than a big juicy aroma.

Taste 4.25 - The taste is very similar to the aroma, mango, pineapple there is a bit of hop bite on the finish and some bitter grapefruit as well.

Feel 4 - Medium bodied smooth and slightly creamy feel with a touch of dryness on the finish.

Overall 4.21- A really well done beer, great tropical flavors balanced with some nice hops as well. smooth easy drinking.

[​IMG]

VABA, 2beerdogs, Lingenbrau and 35 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.