Firestone Walker Introduces Napa Parabola

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

i hear it’s good, gonna see about grabbing one to try

was really hoping to see Parabonilla be bottled, hopefully that comes around next

johnInLA likes this.
  2. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Pundit (855) Feb 25, 2013 California

Sounds like a lawyer got a word in. FW board didn't want to pay royalties, Napa winery wanted to be co-branded. Winemaker and brewer probably are friends who hatched the idea and were all ready to move on it.

Prince_Casual and pjeagles like this.
  3. ConorM

ConorM Initiate (128) Mar 2, 2019 California

Curious why FW didn't just go with one of the local wineries in Paso or Santa Ynez?

Sure, the Central Coast doesn't have the name recognition of Napa Valley but that's more to do with the Judgement of Paris than wine-making ability.

And it's not like FW doesn't collaborate with the local wineries, they use those wineries to decide the blend for FW Anniversary.

thuey likes this.
  4. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Pundit (855) Feb 25, 2013 California

It would have made more sense if they named the Napa winery. But they had to obtain the barrels well in advance of release, obviously, so those beers were in the barrels well before they had to decide on the particulars of the label design. Perhaps in that time, things didn't go as they had hoped.

5. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Pooh-Bah (2,286) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It has hit SEPA; picked up a couple bottles today.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,999) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I picked up one yesterday. Normally, I would get 2-4, but even thought I trust FW, I have only had one or two wine barrel stouts which were good/great.

7. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Pundit (928) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

If you like wine barrel stouts it's very good, but if you don't it's not going to change your mind.

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was told during the FW tour all the barrels came from single entity in Napa as fallout from the fires in 2017, too much smoke damage to the grape crop to use for wine. Think the winery is Screaming Eagle.

cjgiant, thuey and sharpski like this.
  9. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

Am I reading this wrong, sound like you’re saying there was no wine in the barrels?

10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That was the extent of info offered by the tour guide, I didn't press her on the topic. Perhaps they felt the wine was too smokey and dumped it first, then sent the barrels for use in this effort. I'm not sure.

11. cp45

cp45 Pooh-Bah (1,922) Nov 20, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Has anyone seen this is NJ yet?

mkh012 likes this.
  12. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Zealot (593) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Any Chicago sittings? Binnys?

13. Donco

Donco Pooh-Bah (1,615) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Don't know which part of NJ you are in. But it's in Philly area.

14. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2019 California

This hit the shelves last week. Picked up a couple bottles, but interesting enough, it was the regular 2019 parabola that was moving alot faster, and for good reason, it is a step up from 2018.

I'll gonna try one this weekend. Agree with others, that if any barrel aging program can pull this off, it would be FW.

15. Brehnert

Brehnert Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Pennsylvania

It’s in NJ. Just saw some at Bottle King Morris Plains

cp45 likes this.
  16. ericwo

ericwo Zealot (560) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm with you on wine-barrel stouts, so I was a little skeptical when I cracked this open over the weekend, but FW really nailed this one. Easily the best wine barrel-aged beer I've had, and a very good variant to original Parabola. Highly recommend this one.

17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Picked one up along with two regular parabolas. Excited to see how fw does with the wine barrel

18. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had this on tap at Monk's a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. The slab of chocolate tart I had with it didn't hurt, either.

QuakeAttack and thuey like this.
  19. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (0) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Any SoCal (SD) sightings? Surprisingly, I haven't see it at any of my usual stops.

20. ichorNet

ichorNet Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Picked up a bottle of this the other day and have it stored in the cellar to be consumed in a few months most likely. Sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.