Brewing Activities (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Rauchbier brewed, all went perfectly smooth.

1.058 OG. Hydro samples taste wonderful, can't wait until the yeast works its magic and makes that smoke intensify.

[​IMG]

SABERG, Buck89, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  2. wasatchback

wasatchback Maven (1,460) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Simcoe/Nelson IPA

Trying quite a few new things today. I’ve been struggling with bitterness. I want more to be honest. My boil temp is so low I think I’m underestimating my utilization. I was thinking it was 25-30% less but it might be closer to 55% less... soooo. Doubling up on the 90 minute and adding a 45 minute addition (gasp) as well as a larger 20 minute addition.

Also since listening to Vinnie talk about how they’ve stopped whirlpooling hops and just using a hopback now I thought I’d put the hop rocket i’ve had for two years to some use finally.

Rahr 2 Row
    8% Carafoam
    5% Carahell
    1% Acidulated

60 @ 148
    20 @ 162
    10 @ 168

8ml hopshot at 90
    1oz Zeus @ 45
    1oz Simcoe, 1oz Nelson @ 20
    1o Nelson at 0 before chilling
    Chilling to 180 and running wort through 4oz of Simcoe Leaf

Gonna attempt to krausen the batch with .75gallons of a beer I brewed two days ago. Crossing my fingers that’s enough yeast.

KCUnited, Jesse14, Buck89 and 5 others like this.
  3. riptorn

riptorn Maven (1,410) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Altitude issue? If yes, I'd be interested to know if this chart is in line with what you're experiencing. (note disclaimer in cell A1)

[​IMG]
    The row in blue has values for my altitude, roughly estimated.

SABERG and GormBrewhouse like this.
  4. wasatchback

Trader

Yeah I recently saw that as well. I’m at around 6800’. I’d read a few articles 2 years ago or so that quoted that I was around 70-75% utilization. I was a bit shocked when I saw that and it said 58%. We’ll see.

5. Dmanuele1991

Dmanuele1991 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Wisconsin

How'd this turn out? I did a watermelon wheat with 2 pureed watermelons and it turned out a bit watery.

6. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Pundit (887) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Just finished brewing the SN resilience ipa, had some rye left over from a previous brew so I added it. Never got any of the commercial versions that were brewed and I really wanted to try it. Also doing a no-chill for the first time, and my brew day only took about 3.5 hrs. The wort is in my temp controlled mini fridge cooling down, so I'm guessing it'l be ready in about 12-24 hrs? I set the fridge for 70 degrees, so not sure how long it will take.

SABERG, Buck89, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Mine got a bit too sour tbh. But then again, I think that was my fault and not the watermelon’s. It is a tad light in flavor but it works well given that mine is a Berliner and that’s kinda expected with the style. I probably won’t use two watermelon’s next time, but I think they’d contribute better to a gose or Berliner than some other styles.

riptorn likes this.
  8. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

I live less than a couple hours outa Chico and tried some under a week old. Think, “Celebration Light”.

fuzzbalz likes this.
  9. Eggman20

Eggman20 Devotee (399) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

After a few weeks off its time to get some more brewing work in! rewing up a Strawberry Rhubarb Blonde after work today. Planning to roast the rhubarb before adding to secondary with pureed frozen strawberries.

Sometime this weekend I'll be bottling my version of the AP American Brown (had to sub the yeast out since I didn't pre-plan the batch) and making a large starter for next weekend's Doppelbock brew session.

GormBrewhouse, eggsurplus and riptorn like this.
  10. wasatchback

Trader

Gonna give the Bootleg Oslo yeast a spin.

Dry, bitter, hoppy, 5% beer, loosely inspired by Taras Bolba and XX Bitter.

Admiral Maltings Gallagher Pale
    8% Munich I
    Acid

90 @ 145
    20 @ 162

Super Saazer @ 90/45
    Amarillo @ 20
    Some of the new German Amarillo T-45 WP
    No dry hop

Oslo at around 88/90 degrees.

Might bottle condition half with Brett.

Lukass, KCUnited, pweis909 and 6 others like this.
  11. skleice

skleice Maven (1,271) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Just filled a bunch of bottles from kegs to take on vacation. I can't seem to dial in the blichman beer gun....foaming issues.

- kegs and lines are cold
    - bottles coming straight out of the freezer and then cold starsan dunk before each fill
    - 10 ft line liquid
    - relieved keg pressure and reduced psi (directions say 6 psi. I've tried everything from 1-10 and still get foam).
    - tilt bottle to begin fill per directions.
    - open and close trigger quickly
    - taprite double body regulator

Still foaming quite a bit, making a mess and losing beer. Any input appreciated....

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  12. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Saison is 15 minutes into the boil. Target 1.051. 90% Dingeman's Pilsner malt, 5.5 % Avangard wheat malt, and 4.5% demerara sugar. Blend of Styrian Aurora and Sterling in bittering and 5 min additions, estimating ~40 ibus.

riptorn, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  13. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have a Beer Gun, but I haven't had the problem you are having. But a few things come to mind.

- How cold are the bottles after you dunk them in Starsan? I sanitize my bottles, cap them with sanitized foil, and leave them in the fridge overnight, or at least for a few hours.

- Are you also chilling the beer gun's beer line?

- After you have you reduced the pressure, how fast is the beer flowing? I'm wondering if your low pressure gauge might be a bit off.

- What level of carbonation (volumes) is in your beer?

SABERG likes this.
  14. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I've learned kegging the beer for at least two weeks before bottling helps. No need to use cold bottles or lines. Are you using the line that came with it.

15. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Adding 4 oz citra to rye pale ale.

fuzzbalz, Eggman20, Gsulliv2 and 2 others like this.
  16. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

17. loebrygg

Deactivated

18. loebrygg

Deactivated

I think this will be fine

[​IMG]

The yeast was pitched at 20 degrees @ high krausen,
    no oxidation of the starter and slightly under pitch
    Placed in the bathroom (25 degrees) and add the rest of the sugar next weekend :slight_smile:

19. Supergenious

Supergenious Savant (1,249) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Let us know how this turns out. I’ve been meaning to try the same thing. I’ve made hoppy beers with Cali Common yeast, but never at elevated temperatures.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  20. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brewing another Irish stout, as usual the big fav when folks come over.

Eggman20, Gsulliv2, riptorn and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.