A Sad Goodbye

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by DanielAron, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielAron

DanielAron Initiate (0) May 15, 2005 Illinois
    Trader

After over 15 years of membership I am sad to say I must leave you all. Beer has been a core of my being since my first English Ale in college over 30 years ago. It's so central to me that my wife often introduces me to new people by saying things like "he gets 2 beer magazines." I take great pleasure in exploring the amazing explosion of breweries that have sprung up here in Chicago and around the country the last 15. I never tire of exploring new beers and beer styles.

Unfortunately, the afternoon of New Years Eve my doctor sent me a message telling me I have Celiac Disease and that I must stop consuming gluten. Since then I've tried a few gluten free beers (gluten removed is no good for people with celiac). While they allow me some pleasure in being able to still drink beer, they are very far from good.

I thought maybe I would still enjoy reading about beer. But every email and social media post about beer has been extremely depressing. So I've decided to remove myself from the community.

Thank you all for the entertaining discussions and sharing of knowledge. It's been a joy.

All the best,

Daniel

2. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All the best to you sir. There is a lot to love in this world, you'll find other passions. Be happy and stay healthy!

3. cid71

cid71 Zealot (590) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Best of luck to you and nothing but good health. Hope you find another engaging endevour (wine?) I worry about this as i get older that there will soon be a day when my doctor will say enough. I truly dont know what i would do with all that time. Slainte

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Best of luck to you in the future!

5. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hey, Daniel -

Thanks for being a member since 2005, a subscriber to BeerAdvocate magazine (RIP), past fest attendee, and a Respect Beer Society member. I truly appreciate the support over the years. Sucks that you're leaving beer and BA, but whatever comes your way next will be lucky to grab your attention and passion.

All the best to you and yours.

Todd

6. JBogan

JBogan Pooh-Bah (1,837) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation Daniel. Thank you for your contributions here, and best wishes to you for a bright future.

7. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Stupid Doctors. Mine ruined my fun too. I still have the very occasional one beer, and still enjoy to come here and pretend I'm drinking the beers the folks here show and talk about. Best wishes, I hope you find enjoyments to keep you as happy as beer has done.

8. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Farewell and good luck. My problem is this place is addictive but not severely so.

LesDewitt4beer, Peach63, Rug and 8 others like this.
  9. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly Zealot (521) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Sad news, but good luck. My wife and a lot of her family have the Celiac curse, so well familiar with it. Hate to admit it, but this could be a good thing for you, in the long run. And I bet/hope the short run goes by quick.

LesDewitt4beer, Peach63, Rug and 10 others like this.
  10. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Best of luck. I hope you quickly find hobbies and guilty pleasures you enjoy even more.

11. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Sad, indeed.

My wife and children all have celiac disease. One of my children has it so severely that it's necessary to maintain a separate kitchen and dishes in their house from the rest of the family. Even many restaurant "gluten free" menu options trigger a reaction unless the restaurant maintains enough rigor to ensure no cross-contamination.

One of the most frustrating things is how people (including most doctors!) treat celiac as an allergy instead of what it actually is: an autoimmune disease.

There are good celiac support groups available on the web.

One of the good things with the faddishness of "gluten free", though, is the large variety of grocery and restaurant options now available compared with a few years ago.

Good luck and best wishes!

12. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sorry to hear about the news from the doc. Thank you for all of the contributions over 15+ years. As has already been mentioned, there are many things to enjoy in this world. I hope those bring you joy and happiness.

13. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Pooh-Bah (2,562) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Take care and farewell. Truth be told ... you'll do just fine without Ba. Cheers !

14. riptorn

riptorn Maven (1,410) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Be persistent and you'll find something else to fill the void.
    @skleice

15. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Pooh-Bah (2,941) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Fare thee well!

16. not2quick

not2quick Pooh-Bah (2,836) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Folks like us who get very involved in this hobby most likely share a love (obsession) with other things in life. As @DIM said surely you have other passions, but if not seek one out that is mindful of your health. Good luck with your health and focus of other important things in your life.

17. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Terrible news, for sure. But all things considered it could be worse.
    This may very well be a blessing in disguise.
    Life is short, too short, and there will be something that will grab your attention and you will be able to channel yourself into that now.
    Good luck!

18. moodenba

moodenba Pooh-Bah (1,833) Feb 2, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I used to brew beer (between 1970 and 1986) but still subscribe to Zymurgy. Now I drink only about a six pack of alcohol-limited beers a week. I still enjoy being part of a community, even if the trends are not always up my alley. I guess I live in the past? Best wishes.

19. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Grand Pooh-Bah (3,485) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All the best to you brother. Health and family is always first. Beer is a pleasure and a vice, but not a necessity for a fruitful life.

Cheers Daniel! :heavymetal:

20. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hate it for you man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.