No More Taproom Samples

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuliusPepperwood, Sep 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think it's important to remember that for a lot of people, this is all new. They probably expect the brewery to provide the sort of experience you're describing and likely wouldn't understand why their behavior is problematic. The scenario you describe is something I see all the time at wineries. People expect to be able to ask questions about the wine they're trying, and to be able to discuss what there is about the wine that they like or don't like. That can take a considerable amount of time, and is particularly annoying at a wine tasting festival (where there can be long lines to sample a particular wine). It's annoying and rude (IMHO), but fortunately it's fairly uncommon.

I still don't have a problem with breweries providing complimentary sample pours in such a situation (despite the inconvenience).

2. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

Unfortunately against the law in Arkansas to buy anything less than 500ml as a single.

AElfwine_Nerevar and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. rousee

rousee Pooh-Bah (1,628) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Really surprised by the animosity over samples. Live and let live people. Its not that big of a deal.

Mugman8, Rug, beerluvr and 5 others like this.
  4. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I guess that's kind of what I'm getting at. If you're not well versed in beer, just start drinking it. No need for all the samples. If you had told me IPAs are bitter when I first got into craft I might not have tried them because I thought of myself as "not liking bitter beer." People, myself included, are so ignorant as to what beer is and can taste like early on. And yet, they often don't think they are ignorant, they often have certain things they like and dislike. I think it's far more instructive experience to just try stuff that sounds appealing simply by reading the description and maybe asking a question or two of the bar tender.

And while I am anti-giving samples at bars/breweries, I am all for beer festivals. I don't go to the them any more, but early on, they were by far the best place to learn about likes and dislikes.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  5. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is me as well. More often than not I’m pitstopping on my travels to get beers to go. Usually my wife just waits in the car so I need to be quick. A quick sampler really helps me make a good choice on not wasting $16-$24 on a 4 pack of a $12 crowler I don’t care for.

Beer_Economicus and beerluvr like this.
  6. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Despite my aforementioned dislike of breweries/bars offering free samples, I am strongly in favor of them offering flights. Not sure what you will and will not like? Order a flight. Problem solved.

7. John_M

Not every place offers flights. Otherwise, I'm completely with you.

It's only the places that don't do flights or don't sell sample glasses where I'll sometimes request a small taste. And as mentioned above, a lot of times if I express an interest in a particular beer (asking the bartender about the brewery and the beer), the bartender will just pour me a small taste without my even asking.

Redrover and Providence like this.
  8. LoganFarinhas

LoganFarinhas Crusader (441) Jun 26, 2020 Pennsylvania

Yeah man, I totally agree here. I mean someone choosing this taproom/ bar/ brewpub implies they would like their product because they went there and not somewhere else. If the beer is dirt cheap maybe I can see the point of hey it's not too much of a loss. Honestly, though I can barely relate to this post as is: the 60-100 tap brewpubs to the 15-20 people in line while someone at the front is trying samples to the $5 beers.

Essentially OP is saying people should know what they want by looking at the menu and quite frankly that isn't even the point of going to the brewpub: it is an experience. It is about experiencing the different beers. I tip my waiters/ waitresses/ barbacks nicely if I am asking for a sample (which I hardly ever do) that's ok the profit they make off of the $8 beer I ordered (never ordered a craft beer for $5) and the tip I am giving to the bartender I feel justified in trying a bit of their product so that I can buy 2 or 3 pints and some canned beer or crowler for home.

Also, I don't assume everyone who walks up to a bar has the same depth of knowledge about beer styles and beer in general as I do. A few days ago I was talking to a co-worker and they didn't even know that breweries brew their own beer, and he has frequented breweries and taprooms. This guy is just getting into beer and never knew that they make their own beers at the place that he was drinking them; let alone look at the menu read styles and discern the flavors and aromatics of a beer he would enjoy.

cjgiant and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. rousee

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

U guys must all be either a bunch of cheapskates or lack experience in bars or be the people that lie about the size of their tips (among other things) --this is an entertaining thread but a sad one and Ive been on BA in a long time and I know a ton of you are lying in order to make yourselves sound so righteous--get over yourselves !!

10. John_M

Thanks for your helpful post. I have no idea what sort of point you're trying to make, but... Been maybe tipping a few too many this evening? Always a bad idea to come on BA and post some sort of completely off the wall comment after a full evening drinking.

Rug, LoganFarinhas, GuyFawkes and 6 others like this.
  11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Isn't that one of the terms of use? I never read those things, but I just assumed...

Rug, LoganFarinhas, GuyFawkes and 4 others like this.
  12. John_M

Now that you mention it.... :sunglasses:

13. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For real though, that particular post definitely reads like the drunk at the bar who's trying to pick a fight but no one else is even sure who he's trying to insult. Is he pro samples? Anti samples? Just mad that no one tips anymore?

Rug, GuyFawkes, John_M and 1 other person like this.
  14. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Pooh-Bah (2,986) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I never take a sample of a beer at a taproom, unless it's offered to me.

Providence likes this.
  15. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Devotee (373) Mar 28, 2015 California

I'd be angry if the taproom/neighborhood bar refused to offer a half-ounce sample in a shot glass. It's enough for me to make an informed decision, and I would never ask for more than three.

I'm a guy perfectly happy to spend just a buck or two for singletons from Trader Joe's. If a bar expects to pry $8-$10 from my parsimonious palms, they'd better have that "The customer is always right [and valued]" philosophy.

I have gotten a few drafts at the Yard House in Burbank; there was no trouble asking for samples. They might even have been a full ounce.

16. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Unfortunately, not everyone has the same social intelligence or experience in taprooms so sometimes you get that random person taking 5+ samples from the barkeep oblivious that people behind them are waiting. Isn’t this really the only issue/ complaint we are talking about here?

17. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Beer is a luxury item. No one is prying money away from you when you buy it.

DogbiteWilliams likes this.
  18. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Devotee (373) Mar 28, 2015 California

Good point.

Providence likes this.
  19. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Exactly what a sample abuser would say! :stuck_out_tongue:

20. rousee

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sorry if I over reacted but it was a thread that was pissing me off so I had to respond. I wish everyone the best--free samples or not :sunglasses:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.