Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Pundit (880) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Cheers!

2. smalony

smalony Zealot (566) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

Happy Turkey Day, SP bros.

3. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,534) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

“Russian Imperial Stout (Vibes recipe) lagered to soften the base for several months before adding more than 2,000 lbs of Toasted and Raw Coconut Flakes at finishing.”

i don’t brew, i just drink, so idk all the technical stuff but assuming this means they used a lager yeast strain that bottom fermented and then was lagered cold?

4. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wander(ed?) if this is just an abuse of terms, and they just mean that they let it sit to let the hops mellow or something. I also know little about brewing, but using a lager yeast would certainly give it a not RIS taste - it would be more of a "belgian stout," as I've seen it called elsewhere. I think.

Sabtos and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  5. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Savant (1,034) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

The BBT glass is definitely more of a tulip style than the picture originally looked like

6. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Zealot (504) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

It's not an abuse of terms and yes you know little about this. It's has nothing to do with yeast (in this instance). Lagering as a verb just means to store beer a cool temps to slow fermentation. Any beer can be "lagered".

7. Beer_Economicus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for adding a dollop of turd on an otherwise helpful post.

8. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I thought that was called cold conditioning. I think this is the first time I've heard a brewer use the term "lagered" without yeast being involved.

9. Luscious_Malfoy

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

it’s definitely a little confusing, if not misleading. i was perplexed when i read that description. in the email.

10. dlcarst

dlcarst Zealot (721) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Believe it or not, this site has a lot more content than just the forum. Check out the definition of lagering, and you'll notice it refers to maturation at cold temperatures. Since lagering beers was around long before yeast was understood, I'm going to assume the yeast was named for the process.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/101/terms/

11. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Double barrel and continuance tasting very good.

12. Luscious_Malfoy

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

b9. light, tart, refreshing… lovely. cheers SP peeps. whether you’re at the brewery or cellar guzzling stouts or at home enjoying the long weekend - hope it’s been a good one.

#4352 Luscious_Malfoy, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  13. Lorddevn

Trader

Anyone at the brewery now? About to head over from shared to pick up my BBT was looking for someone to drink derivation if I bought a bottle

14. Lorddevn

Trader

If the gentleman from Ohio and his stl blues fan are on here thanks for having the bottle with us and the kind extras.

15. _mark_s

_mark_s Zealot (658) Feb 27, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

How is Far Afield?

16. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Zealot (504) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

It's the same thing and common brewery vernacular. I hear the term used on a weekly basis as a verb.

17. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's strange because I hear cold conditioning on a regular basis. I wonder if it's a regional thing, particularly with AB InBev's stranglehold on STL.

Considering the term lager, in English, has been tied to brewing beer with a specific type of yeast for several centuries, I think it's reasonable for the layman to at least give a side eye when they hear "lagering" while referring to an ale.

When I brought this discussion up with my friends in the industry it turned into an almost hour long discussion on how, ultimately, you can call it what you want, regardless of how complicated it got. But there comes a point where the slushy sour I leave in my fridge for two months because I don't want to drink it can legitimately be described as being lagered as well. If you want to keep being as literal as possible, especially as to the original German meaning, that would truly be a legitimate and technical way of speaking. An unhelpful albeit romantic way, at that. When we're talking about ales, particularly ones that aren't even finished, the terms become confused and it muddles consumer understanding. Especially when, in this case, the brewer has an intended result that has nothing to do with yeast. And we're speaking English.

So obviously we can discuss it ad nauseam here, but there are more people than not who won't ask the questions we will, who will just make assumptions and spread misinformation based on the brewer's otherwise harmlessly innocent description.

18. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Zealot (548) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

BBT 2022 is good. I liked last years and think this is as good if not better. That is all. Happy Monday.

Blutz, OakvilleKGB, dleurf and 8 others like this.
  19. stave000

stave000 Aspirant (233) Nov 5, 2019 Missouri

During anniversary week I thought 2022 blew 2020 and 2021 away. Obviously I can only compare fresh by memory but I think this is my favorite blend of BBT. A nice subtle smokiness that really made it unique and delicious. Last year I remember feeling that the dark fruit character was stronger, which was also right up my alley but I think they really nailed something special with this blend. Awesome that even within just BBT itself it seems like they can keep innovating and keeping it interesting from year to year.

20. Beer_Economicus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Out of curiosity, did you get much smokiness from 2021? The thing I remember most about 2021 is that it had an incredible amount of char. I remember trying to talk to one of the servers about it, asking if it was from the JD barrels - since I haven't had all the BBT vintages. At the time, from my notes, it was a really intense level of char compared to other stouts I have had (even among the SP ones I have tried).

Thirst_trappist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.