Imperial Stout Appreciation Thread (2022)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Resistance88, May 20, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Interesting…. I’ve had some pretty terrible ones that I bought on a whim off Tavour. I think I drain poured about $100 worth of beer my last box. That put me off adjuncts unless I’ve had the beer before. I like this one, but I wouldn’t buy it again

2. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,796) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

i am in the small minority for sure cuz people love this one.
    it was a drain pour for me

3. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Pooh-Bah (2,190) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lol, finally someone posts an interesting stout from my neck of the woods, and it comes with complaints about thickness. Oh sure, there are a few Brooklyn Black Ops and Black Chocolate Stout posts and a couple of Grimms. Where's all the NYC/NNJ/Hudson Valley love? Let's see if I can remedy that situation right now.

Separately - I'm fully on board the thicc train. I've been disappointed recently by Bourbon County, which used to be my favorite beers of the year. They are just so thin!

4. CraftFan5

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Here are the recent highlights. Sadly, just a couple from New York, but the Mortalis/Prison City collab Whams Above Whams Below is absolutely amazing. Might be the best non-BA stout I've ever had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btip1969, warsxh, Nugganooch and 8 others like this.
  5. CraftFan5

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

6. CarolinaCardinals

CarolinaCardinals Grand Pooh-Bah (4,765) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

You are correct! How soon i forget! Hope you enjoy!

Luscious_Malfoy and BigIronH like this.
  7. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Love that beer! One of the better ones from BL. To each their own!

8. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

BLs stouts are way too much. To me they fall on the MT level. I never pick up any trace of a base beer as theyre masked by suspect ingredients ( they used Jet Puffed marshmallows for Scatter Signal) .
    I would never put a Kraft Single slice of cheese on a burger with high quality beef and definitely don't want any kraft products in my beer:nauseated_face:

The BL reps ive spoken too are great people and they make good lagers/PAs but their stouts are always a big No Thank You to me.

I always enjoy sending them to people who want them and they seem to be received well. :popcorn:

9. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

@CraftFan5 I love me some Thin Man Brewing AJ ! Have had 3 of them and enjoyed them all.

I was.almost saddened by your intial post and had to dig through my collection to find it. I also have the Barleywine that i gotta rip into.
    You saying you enjoyed the base stout more has me shakin in my space boots with excitement!

10. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

Forgot I had Two 4-packs of this so put one in the fridge last night.
    Enjoying it with my coffee [​IMG]

11. CarolinaCardinals

CarolinaCardinals Grand Pooh-Bah (4,765) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Was on that train of thought as i will typically enjoy a base stout or barleywine first then the BA version. Plus, must have confused this with Lou Reed Barleywine - that was the base beer that i could not find. Also, gotta remember, that some BA brothas have lots of great beer lurkin!
    Cheers!
    Tom

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  12. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,534) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

finally found some 2022 cafe deth. cheers!!

Btip1969, Nugganooch, BMBCLT and 12 others like this.
  13. VodkaPong87

Trader

How is it? Mine comes next week. Love that beer

14. Luscious_Malfoy

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

it’s good! i’m admittedly not the biggest cafe deth fan. at least not in the past. i thought supermassive was a big step up and i still think crushing mass blows them both away. but i did like the 2022 more than what i can recall in the past.

15. VodkaPong87

Trader

I actually preferred cafe to supermassive. It had an almost woody character on the finish for some reason. Only had one can of it though

16. Luscious_Malfoy

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

i only had supermassive once and it was out of a crowler, but it was big time coffee compared to regular cafe. this year’s seems like not more coffee but more well integrated coffee that meshes better with the base and the barrels.

17. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My first Ralphius in probably four years, 2022 release aged for one year in a wide variety of bourbon barrels. This is the O.G., I got a few new variants to try later. I thought I'd reacquaint myself with this first.

[​IMG]

Still loving this. Chocolate dominates, rich cake batter up front that turns to dry cocoa powder at the finish. Hints of caramel, dates, and vanilla throughout. The bourbon notes are rich and warm. Gonna be hard to top this.

#1857 DIM, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    jmdrpi, Nugganooch, BMBCLT and 10 others like this.
  18. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

IMO Parabajava blows Cafe and Crushin mass out the water

i still love CM and Cafe deth tho.

this years CafeDeth was better than 20 and 21 IMO

19. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,822) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Spear - Lough Gill

[​IMG]

O
    k, of the four, Shield and Spear are tops. I think Shield edges out Spear. Maybe just because it was first of this impressive bunch.

Spear warms with the most progression and has the more solid base. The barrel age on Shield is something special.

Nugganooch, BMBCLT, BigIronH and 8 others like this.
  20. VodkaPong87

Trader

I’m so pissed that FW doesn’t distribute to CT anymore. I stumbled upon one final 2018 Sucaba (the only one I’ve ever had) and like 6 Parabola a couple years ago, and bought them all when I heard they were stopping. Since that day I haven’t seen anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.