Cellar Reviews (2022)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beersnake, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy NFL Sunday Funday old beer nerds! Sipping a 2020 Westy 12 today. Absolutely one of my favorite beers and IMO unquestionably amongst the best beers in the world. I’ve had this beer from from until past 5 years, and for me it’s typically ideally right around this two year mark.

Pours dark mahogany almost approaching black. One plus fingers width of slightly off white colored bright head with very good retention and leaves some lacing. Aroma is decadent, complex, and amazing. A boquet of dark fruits with big dates, grapes, some sweet plum. Next is a nearly equally big toffee. There’s a big doughy characters, like a sweet breakfrest bread. Balancing spice rounds out the aroma with some baking spices; cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste follows, with similar characters: dark fruits up front, big caramel. Sugary sweetness, balanced by spice and a hint of bitterness. Long lingering dark fruits and subtle cocoa. almost like a fine cabernet. It’s just wildly complex with waves of flavors that all intermingle perfectly. Mouthfeel is full bodied yet has a lovely carbonation, that unique combo that seems to only be pulled off in Belgian high gravity beers. It’s far too drinkable. Overall, amongst the elite of the elite. I know it’s fallen down the ranks but personally I think it continues to belong in the discussion for best beer on the planet. I’m not sure I can name a better one.

4.5/5/5/5/5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zac16125

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A second one today. In celebration of the time change maybe? Any excuse to enjoy good beer!

2021 BCB Cherry Wood. I very much enjoyed this fresh and was impressed how simply the addition of cherry wood aging changed the base beer so much. Let’s see how it’s drinking at around 14 months.

Pours opaque black, large tan head with decent retention but little lacing. Aroma is roasted malts, lots of earthy woody notes, subtle dark fruits, unsweetened bakers chocolate, charred marshmallow, moderate barrel notes with toasted oak and nutty vanilla. Taste is tons of woody characters, prominent nuttiness almost peanut butter-esque; actually definitely peanut butter-esque. Barrel characters are definitely there, with a lingering bourbony charred oak. Base beer characters with a huge roastiness, and moderate black coffee with a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is full bodied, ABV well masked, average drinkability. Overall, didn’t like it as much as I remembered fresh. Probably not fair to review a beer that soon after a Westy 12. Regardless, I have a few more will take them out a ways more and see how this develops with more time.

4.5/4.25/4.25/4.25/4.25
    (Original/fresh review: 4.5/5/4.5/4.5/4.5)

[​IMG]

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  3. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2005 Bell's 7,000. 17 years old. Poured at fridge temp, but allowed to warm a bit. Pours pitch black without a sign of carbonation. No head. Looks super thick and concentrated.

The nose is clearly showing the age. Black licorice, molasses, maple, port, tobacco, coffee, and sweet plums and raisins. Big nose!

The taste incredibly intense. Crazy amount of bitter roasted malts. Like chewing on burnt wood and leather. Tar, black licorice, tobacco, French roast coffee grounds, an earthy note, and a bit of soy sauce. Burnt toffee and VERY dark chocolate come through with time. This is insane.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Very intense with the lack of carbonation. Bitter on the aftertaste. Never got to try it fresh, so I have no idea what 17 years has done. Glad to find this bottle for $6 at a local shop a few weeks ago!

4.24/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 12 others like this.
  4. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2013 was the only year I did a Bourbon County style geek out. That was the year they introduced the barleywine and I REALLY wanted to try it. I worked Black Friday but made a few phone calls the following Sunday and was able to get a couple of four packs. It was undeniably great but I never chased Bourbon County again. Until I heard about this year's 2 year barrel version. I got one 2022 in a package with some vintage bottles, I think I'll try the older ones first. Here is the 2013 I loved 9 years ago.

[​IMG]

Well this is definitely past it's peak, as evidenced by the beginnings of rust on the cap. It's a little thin and a bit sugary, but it's still very enjoyable even if it isn't similar to the beer I reviewed 9 years ago. I talked about chocolate and dark fruit then but I don't get much if any of that now. Lots of bourbon soaked and toffee and caramel and not much else. If you have any of these I say open them now, it's still enjoyable but not getting any better at this point.

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 10 others like this.
  5. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Starting with the Fall Winter clearing of the cellar once again. This is a beer I tried first two years ago, and pulled a second can from the cellar just under a year ago.

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Narwhal

[​IMG]

Canned 3/6/20, 11.9% ABV, 16 oz. Remained refrigerated since Nov 2021.

Original Review - 1/9/21

First Cellar Review - 12/2/21

Comparison of this same batch against the two reviews above.
    • Appearance remains unchanged over time.
    • Aroma went from bourbon leading (Jan 2021) to more complexity chocolate and malt to bourbon once again front and center, this time more sharp and biting than the smooth bourbon noted nearly two years ago. Did not expect this.
    • Taste follows nose, thought bourbon malt mix sweeter than what the nose indicates, and beyond my preference level. More like Jim Beam and and cooled down hot chocolate.
    • Mouthfeel contains a still faint fizzy carbonation. Drinks much easier than expected both for the ABV and this time of day. Sweetness, more milk and roast chocolate than anything else, lingers.
    • Overall, I am liking it more as it smooths out, now over 30 minutes after opening with just under half a can to go. Overall, I enjoyed the fresh version best, and my first cellar review prediction that the beer would not improve held true. Drink these fresh while you have then for optimal enjoyment.
    Cheers!

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  6. DIM

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Having a 2017 Bourbon County Barleywine tonight. The only other vintage I've ever tried is 2013, when they used third use barrels. Very excited to try the second use treatment.

[​IMG]

As good as the 2013 was last night, this is much better. The body is full and lightly sticky, showcasing the layers and nuances nicely. The bourbon is robust and comes with a nice oaky tingle and a hint of vanilla. Lots of toffee in the base beer along with some raisin and hints of chocolate. If I was scoring this, it would probably be almost as high as the fresh 2013 from way back when. This vintage is worth seeking out.

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  7. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Grand Pooh-Bah (4,393) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I intentionally held this back to age, but didn't realize I had not reviewed it fresh. While I know the bourbon is slightly muted, although just from memory, it is perfectly matched with the bitter roast malts now.
    There is neither bottling nor best by date marking, but the earliest reviews here indicate a fall 2020 release. So, a two year old imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass shows a dark brown body, cola colored at the edges as light filters through, and almost holds a 1/8" cap of cream colored foam while leaving the glass dripping with tiny spots of lacing with agitation.

Bourbon notes dominate the aroma joined by that fresh air/ roast malt aroma I love.

The flavor remains a gloriously, yet restrained, bourbon soaked roasted malt elixir that welcomes, if not demands, another sip.

Medium mouthfeel is expected as I believe they used the Antwerpen stout for this base and that one is a bit thinner than the standard stout, and certainly less creamy than the nitro, but it is also expected due to the barrel aged presentation.

Overall, I expected great things from Guinness, and they delivered.

[​IMG]

Hinda65, landrewg, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  8. Mdog

Mdog Pooh-Bah (2,245) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Jubel 2015
    [​IMG]
    Appearance: Brown, murky, ok head that fades out pretty quickly.

Smell: Oxidized caramel, red wine fruitiness, some oddball vegetal note.

Taste: Very earthy, muted caramel sweetness, kind of a woody note, subdued red fruit, then a combined earthy and mild dark chocolate finish.

Overall: I saw this at Blue Max (Burnsville, MN) as I think they are clearing out all their cellared beers and thought I'd try it. I've never had it fresh, so this bottle is somewhere around 7 years old. It's hard to tell what's changed when I haven't had it fresh, but it does seem like this might be a bit past optimal drinking age. Flavors seem muted and muddled, not bad, but not great. It is pretty complex in trying to decipher these flavors, so I call it a worthy experiment.

Hinda65, landrewg, Uberdachen and 6 others like this.
  9. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2012 Bourbon County. Poured at fridge temp, but allowed to warm for a bit. Low carbonation at this point. The nose is quite different from when fresh (this was cellared properly by me). Very strong bourbon, a touch of soy sauce, and some chocolate. Fairly one-dimensional. The taste is MUCH better than the nose. Big roasted malts, toffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, a bit of coffee, dark fruit, and some brown sugar. Very nice, but totally different from fresh. Interesting experience. This is my last one of the older ones.

[​IMG]

Hinda65, augustgarage, Mdog and 9 others like this.
  10. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Evening all. I've been drinking from the cellar quite a bit lately, but I haven't posted any here - mainly because I forgot about this thread. Which is too bad, because this thread is great. Tonight I'm enjoying a Bells Expedition Stout bottled 9/8/16. It has held up exceptionally well as I've come to expect with this beer and with Third Coast. It's still showing lots of sweet chocolate and a nice chary leather but it's lost almost all the bitterness on the finish. Really enjoyable.

[​IMG]

11. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,380) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As I was looking through my cellar the other day I found I have a 5 year vertical of this from 18 - 22. Trying to decide how best to try them all on the same evening.
    Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving all!

12. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm pretty sure I have from 15 to present, although I may have missed '20 or '21 - those were some weird years for distro. I'm pretty sure I can't do them all in one night. :neutral_face:

13. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,380) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have my SAN group, but currently there are 4 of us and I think I want more than 3 oz of each. If you need a 20 and/or 21, let me know. If I have extra I'd be happy to send them your way.
    And you are right; as tempting as it would be, drinking all of them in one night by myself would not be the brightest move I could make.
    Cheers!

14. zac16125

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy Thanksgiving Cellar Dwellers! A big time beer for one of the best days of the year. Truly, I have an exceptional amount that I am thankful for and I have not lost sight of how lucky I really am. Having these beer as a celebration.

2019 Bourbon County Double Barrel Stout. Aged for a year in 11 year old Elijah Craig barrels, and then a second year in 12 year old Elijah Craig barrels. Also, the only BCB variant I haven’t yet had, meaning as of now I’ve had every Bourbon County variant ever bottled and released…..at least until 9am tomorrow when this new years variants hit the market!

Which of course means I did not have this beer fresh, so no fresh tasting notes for comparison. This one was quite difficult to obtain, and I’m pretty excited for it. Let’s see how it’s drinking at a little over 3 years.

Pours an opaque black with 1.5 fingers width of mocha colored head with pretty good retention before dissipating down. Aroma is a medley of whisky and barrel characters: huge charred oaky bourbon, very big nuttiness, some less pronounced scotch like peat notes. Next I get cocoa and chocolate fudge, a bit of toasted marshmallow, roasted malts, some vanilla. Taste is….wow. Just holy shit this is amazing. It’s bold and aggressive, crazy big whiskey notes that are nutty and earthy, with a big charred oak. There’s bitterness with black coffee and pronounced roastiness but these bold and aggressive flavors are balanced by a big sweetness consisting of huge chocolate, sweet dark and ripe red fruits. There’s an obvious fusel booziness but it’s not distracting yet rather adds to the balance and complexity. Mouthfeel is full body, carbonation is appropriate, the alcohol is noticeable but it’s surprisingly not hot for an 18%’er and it’s dangerously drinkability. Overall, this is a fantastic. Not quite at my all time favorites level but in the top 10, maybe top 5 BCB variants which puts it in elite of the elite category.

4.5/4.5/5/4.75/5
    (Original/fresh review: n/a)

[​IMG]image sharing sites

[​IMG]

Cheers, friends!

15. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haven't dipped into my cellar in a while. But tonight I saw a 19 Narwhal calling my name. It's reminding me why I like to cellar this thing. I find it to be generally discombobulated at around 16-28 months. But drinking this bad boy at 39 months (bottled 8/22/19) and I'm loving the chocolate and dark fruit goodness.

Happy Thanksgiving cellar dwellers

16. DIM

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can't believe it's been 14 months since my first bottle.

[​IMG]

Yeah this is headed in the right direction. I enjoyed the first bottle, but this has improved I think. The sweet booze, dark fruits, and brown sugar are still abundant up front. They linger longer into the finish which isn't as hot or as bitter as I remember. Not sure how long I'll spread out the last 3 I have, this isn't going down hill anytime this decade. At least.

17. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Pooh-Bah (2,224) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

2003 DFH 120 minute. (Allegedly).

I bought this and a handful of other beers from a cellar group on FB. What arrived was a clearly not a 2003. The 120 minute was stamped 2012 or 2013 (I forget). I reached out to the seller upset and they said they sent the wrong one. I then received an unlabeled bottle with only a marker on the cap stating 2003 120 minute.

Bottle crack and pour is completely flat - not unreasonable.

Look - actually looks like 120min.

Taste - taste like 120 minute. But completely flat. And not hot. Maybe sweeter than I know it.

Feel is thinner than I know this beer, and much less hot. If anyone had any very early bottles of 120 minute I'd love to pick your brain. There a few interesting characteristics about this bottle that I'd like to corroborate whether its authentic or not.

Apart from the criticism ehat im drinking is genuinely great. It does taste like 120 minute but genuinely 10% not 19 or 20%. Sweeter, more caramel sugar. If this beer is genuine then 20 year old 120 minute is top tier shit. It just doesn't quite add up witb the lack of heat primarily and hoppiness secondarily.

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    2019 BCBS

Drinking this as I mull over picking up a bottle of the new batch.

This one is past it's prime for me. The positive flavor aspects that remain are mostly fig/prune, with the prune gaining strength. A bit of char and a bit of light tobacco and old leather. This decent flavor profile is undercut by a sharp ethanol note and a sort of vaguely spicey/cola type flavor that I get from lots of whiskey barrel aged stouts as they age out of their prime.

I think I've got one more of these but I'll probably skip over it and try to get to the 2020 I have sooner than later and maybe buy a single 2022. Definitely filing this one as one to drink fresher than not.

19. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Pooh-Bah (2,224) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Apologies for the non-aesthetic picture. I peeled the label off of this one to stick on my beer fridge but then thought this is such a long time tick for me that I should really log it. So the picture came mid-way through the beer

Here's an olde money tick. 2009 (presumed) olde rabbits foot. A collab stout brewed by foothills, duck rabbit, and olde hickory aged in 23 year pappy barrels. To my knowledge, all of these breweries are still in operation but you seldom hear a lot about them. To me, that just screams we brew good beer but don't care about being trendy.

There is no bottle date on it but its bottle 350/694. With a little bit of googling I get several hits that this is from its inaugural year of 2009 there were 694 bottles. I turn up no results for this bottle count on any other year so I'm led to believe this is a 2009 bottle.

I also find it super cool to find trade posts for this beer back as far as 2010 and seeing an entirely different trading mentality from where it is today.

Anyhow. My actual reviews suck as I dont have the palate or talent to iterate the nuances I'm smelling or tasting. From my initial review a half hour ago:

"Very cool beer to obtain being an old money fan. Collab from three classic breweries. Can't find a bottle date. This is however bottle 350 of 694 so im sure that could pinpoint the year if i did some digging.

Cellar temp. Looks magnificent. Rich, frothy head. Smells a smidgen off. A metallic note of pennies or nickels.

Taste is nice. Very classic RIS with bakers cocoa and roast. Not over the top bitter though. Not getting any of the honey mentioned on the label, nor any barrel. Definitely tastes very old and aged, but not off. But chalky, dry, scratchy finish screams of oxidation. Still though, quit enjoyable and incredible basic but well done beer. You know, like when breweries could kill a beer with just the four main ingredients.

Feel is solid for a 10% imperial stout.

Overall a cool old school tick. Be nice to try again fresh in a smaller format if I ever get the chance to."

20. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I really enjoy your reviews and posts, laid out exactly what you experienced with great descriptions! What an excellent treat to come across that beer.

Another cellar from my stash bought September 2020 from Wicker Park Walgreens.

2019 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Cafe de Olla Stout

[​IMG]

I cracking open thus 2029 BCBS I reviewed fresh and also late Nov 2021, the link of both reviews provided below.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/cellar-reviews-2021.653024/page-13#post-7384201

Bottle Notes: This beer was refrigerated on 5/1/21 after proper cellaring since purchase. The best by date is August 11, 2021, or close to 16 months past their recommended date. 13.5% ABV, same as both the draft version (2019) and cellar bottle (2021) in my linked reviews.

Appearance similar across all three years. It's a little flatter now. 4.0 (4.25 in 2019 and 2021)

Aroma: After letting this sit for 10 minutes, first is maple (which is not part of this release, but also noted in my review last year), a roast and slightly bitter coffee, leather, bourbon once again absent from the equation. Taking a 10 minute break to prepare a bagel,, I return and note an emergence of cardboard, which I don't recall ever with a BCBS regardless of age, with a bitter coffee reigning supreme. 2.75 (2019 4.0 2021 3.75)

Taste:
    Took an initial sip 15 minutes after opening, but still above recommended serving temperature (20-25 minutes is my preferred starting point from the refrigerator for BA Stouts. First degradation noted with the coffee now roast bitter beans front and center, with slight to significant pepper crashing the proceedings. Ten minutes later I return to a still sweet maple backed by bitter coffee roast beans, bell pepper, leather and cigar ash. Time waits for no man or beer, certainly the case for the latter here. Oh how the mighty have fallen. 2.5 (2019 5.0 2021 4.25)

Mouthfeel: Carbonation has held on all these years. Thinner than the silky smooth creamy mouthfeel noted the first two attempts. Drinks at the ABV now 1/2 bottle in. Its a muddled mess taste wise, though unpleasant flavors thankfully do not linger, though that may be the result of my paired bagel improving the situation. 3.5 (4.5 2019 and 2021)

Overall: This is a muddled mess, though 0.0% blame on Goose Island as these lingered far too long in my possession. The bad news is I have six more of these, though they are sitting in my basement 50 F unheated cellar, so perhaps they will turn out slightly better. The good news is all of these were purchased for $5 each plus tax at a clearance sale. Bottom line, beers should not be held beyond their recommended fresh date, especially coffee beers. 2.75 (4.5 in 2019 4.25 in 2021).

Cues Men at Work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.