DFH WWS worth $207 a case?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by waddellc2, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (1,187) Aug 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

Have a chance to get a case of DFH World Wide Stout for $207

My question is: IS this too much money to spend on one case of beer??

I have never spent over $125

2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

For that beer specifically... yes. Not worth it.

3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

Do you like it? Do you want to drink/age that much of it?

WWS doesn't have huge interest in trade forum (although I'm sure there are people who will want it), so I would have a plan to drink it if you were going to buy it. Maybe split with some friends?

waddellc2 likes this.
  4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

I long for the day when people can make their own decisions.

It's the "going rate" so if you're on the fence, why not just buy a partial case?

5. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (1,187) Aug 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

I do love the beer, just feel particualry guilty spending that much on a case of beer. I would love to split it with someone. I dont have any beer obsessed friends as crazy as I am I guess

6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

Idk about a whole case, though you would be saving some money by doing that. Guess it depends how much you like that beer. Just please make sure you have tried it first, so you aren't like that guy who bought a whole case of Hopslam and then came here to complain about how his taste buds weren't like the average BA.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

$8.65 a bottle is a good deal, so assuming you like the beer, yes it is worth it. Beer ages well so you could drink it over a long period of time.

Bitterbill, huysmans and waddellc2 like this.
  8. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

Just buy the case in "installments" then. It's not like there's much of a difference in price anyways.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can you post a pdf copy of your 2011 IRS 1040? That'd be a critical aspect in answering the question if it's "too much money" for you to spend on beer.

10. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

If you really like the beer a lot and have a decent chunk of money to burn I guess. It wouldnt be worth it for me, guess it all depends on the individual.

11. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Missouri

I've had nightmares about having a whole case of WWS in my basement. Satan contract brews WWS for DFH.

AmitC, Zach136 and waddellc2 like this.
  12. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2010 Virginia

I gladly bought a case. Drink now.....share with friends....save some for later. All good.

13. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

I bought a 1/2 case of 2010 WWS a month ago for $120. Cracked one open and, damn, sweet and smooth as hell. It's pretty thin for a stout but is drinking like 10% or less already.

Anyhow, you're getting a fair deal. The thieves down the street here charge $13.99 for 2012 bottles! You won't find a better offer, IMO.

14. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

I honestly can't imagine spending $207 on a crate of a single type of beer. Think of what else you could get with that. Unless you really love it i'd say its not worth the plunge. But if you loved it you probably wouldn't even be asking...

15. HopNuggets

HopNuggets Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2009 Connecticut

Seems steep and you don't seem to be getting a deal over just buying bottles separately. Usually when you buy a case there is some savings involved but at $207 that's $8.63/bottle which isn't a deal IMO.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I guess it depends where you are, here we have it for $8.99 a bottle and it is on the shelf all year, I assumed since he was interested in buying a case it was somewhat of a rarity where he is.

17. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Almost the price of some bombers.

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

I've typically seen singles for $10 or so, so strictly monetarily speaking, yeah it's a solid deal. I would strongly urge you to wait at least a year to drink any of the bottles, unless you love alcohol burn as a flavor component.

19. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Pooh-Bah (2,421) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anywhere that carries WWS that i have seen sells it for $8.99 a bottle so you really aren't getting much of a discount there by buying a case which makes it kind of silly to buy a case. Buy single bottles in whatever quantity you want. It's not a beer you can drink that often anyway. And if you've never had Avery Mephistopheles, try that if you can get it as it is a good (and some would say more favorable) alternative.

20. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Zealot (562) May 23, 2007 Maryland
    Trader

I paid $186 out the door for a case in '08. I still have a few left. If that's your approach, buy and enjoy 1 every 3-6 months. Pay attention to changes and share with friends. I enjoy making Heaven n Hell with it to share, also with friends.

Are there better ways to spend $200? Yes. Do you LOVE WWS and want to be able to enjoy for years to come, and impress your friends by saying *Oh, WWS, yea. I have a case in the basement.* Then, by all means, snatch it up.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.