2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (447) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottleing whole hop#7

riptorn likes this.
  2. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (328) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Bit of a retro Pale Ale today

Blend of Columbus, Nugget, and Crystal.
    Bell’s yeast
    Rahr Pale Ale
    10% Malted Wheat

riptorn, GormBrewhouse, MrOH and 2 others like this.
  3. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (137) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Blood orange Neipa. Trying these 3 for the first time. The candi syrup tastes great. Hope it works.
    [​IMG]

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  4. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (266) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Brewed an American brown ale modeled after the averagely perfect recipe.

SABERG, Supergenious, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing up another Hoppy Amber. Looking to lighten/redden the color and remove some roast character. Hopping with Colombia, Simcoe & Mosaic. M44 yeast.

6. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,159) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Brewing a coffee brown ale
    Enjoying home brewed Imperial Stout
    Cheers

7. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (778) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Brewed up my Czech Pils. Currently in chilling, at about 52F (target of 48F for pitching). OG is 1.054.

8. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (60) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

Brewing up the same thing this weekend. Seems like a beer you can't always find a lot of recipes for. Curious what your malt bill looks like if you don't mind? I'm going with 2-row 80%-ish, munich 10%-ish, British Med. Crystal - 6%-ish, DRC - 4%-ish, and color adjustment with some chocolate malt.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  9. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Haha, u won't want my grain bill cuz I brew with gluten free malts. Hope yours turns out nice!

10. wasatchback

Trader

Citra/Amarillo IPA

Rahr 2 row
    10% Chit
    3% Carahell
    2% Acidulated

145/162/170

Warrior at 90/30
    3oz Citra @ 5
    3oz 2019 Amarillo Leaf 1oz 2019 Cent leaf in the hopback

Wlp030

I’ve never really found any decent Amarillo so I’ve never tried this classic combo. The 2019 leaf I just got from Hops Direct smells awesome! Was researching what percentage of chit malt I should use to replicate undermodified malt for an upcoming decocted Czech Pils and decided I’d try it instead of Carafoam in an IPA.

11. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (605) Mar 28, 2009 California

Brewing my first “pumpkin” beer. Instead of using pumpkin I am using squash. Based on various resources squash comes through better than pumpkin. I guess i’ll Find out.

Doing a pumpkin porter with 5ish lbs of squash, spices, and vanilla.

[​IMG]free photo host

12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,847) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Conducting an inventory of homebrew equipment as a first step towards organizing and perhaps, downsizing.

13. wasatchback

Trader

Pale Ale version of yesterday’s beer. Same basic beer. Swapped a little Pale Ale malt in this time and swapped the yeast.

Gonna try a little different dry hopping procedure this time. Going to attempt to purge a keg with fermentation. Mostly leaf dry hops will be added to the keg that will have been purged once already then let fermentation purge it completely before pushing beer into the keg at the very end of fermentation. Yeast I’m using floccs really hard so hoping to push as least yeast into the dry hop keg as possible.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  14. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (363) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewing up a quick 3 gallons for my sour solera. After this ferments I’ll rack into the said solera to replace the 3 gallons that will age on a pile of blueberries and some vanilla beans. Resulting in what will hopefully be a tasty blueberry/ vanilla sour. This is only my 2nd pull from my solera, so far so good.

15. GormBrewhouse

Planing the Belgian blueberry for Sunday.

riptorn and skleice like this.
  16. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (60) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

Yeeesh, that's not going to translate. Anyone else have input on my recipe? haha

riptorn likes this.
  17. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Brewed an imperial cream ale last night, to which I'll add dry coffee bean and cold brew before packaging.

72% Pelton, 10% Flaked Maize, 10% Sugar, 8% Opal 44. US-05. OG: 1.086.

A2HB, riptorn, GormBrewhouse and 2 others like this.
  18. wasatchback

Trader

Batch 3 of a Hoppy Pilsner. Italian/Czech style cross sort of.

Found some Weyermann Eraclea Pilsner malt at my LHBS which I’ve never seen for sale at any Homebrew store before.

133 -> 145 -> decoct -> 162 -> 172

Eraclea/Carafoam/Acidulated
    50ish theoretical IBUs
    Saaz through the boil, Sterling in hopback

TYB Hessian Pils. Hopefully keep it around 46 and make it home in time after a work trip to transfer and spund it. Probably gonna pull a little right before I leave to krausen batch 2 (which was a bit of a disaster but still managed to turn out better than expected)

19. deadwolfbones

Also kicked my keg of fresh hop IPA, so put my Danish cider on to burst carb.

20. beershrine

beershrine Aspirant (231) May 29, 2004 California

Today brewing a English pale ale #20 English mixed base malts, Golding pellets, S-04 yeast 10 gallons.

21. wasatchback

Trader

Transferred that last hoppy beer I brewed into the keg full of leaf hops that I purged with Fermentation... leaving on a road trip tomorrow hopefully back in a week to a fully carbonated very aromatic hoppy beer.. we’ll see. Pretty sure I was very close to terminal, expecting a bit of hop creep but who knows.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  22. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,847) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

With designs on the fermenter, I dumped a sour I had held on to for too long and ever quite seemed drinkable. No tears.

23. deadwolfbones

Kicked my Jovaru farmhouse finally, so I put the BBA Britfoot Barleywine back on. Getting some lovely oxidative raisny stuff in that one. I can't wait to see how it further ages over time.

Planning to do a pilsner soon, trying to decide between a true lager strain or Oslo kveik. Both would be low to upper 60s during fermentation, generally.

riptorn, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  24. Maestro0708

What are your thoughts on the Jovaru strain? Planning to brew with it soon.

riptorn likes this.
  25. deadwolfbones

I made a very weird beer with it (raw ale w/ a decent chunk of Opal 44 malt and Sorachi Ace hops) and the other elements kind of overpowered the yeast character. That said, I think it'd be fine in pretty much any kind of wheat beer.

26. Supergenious

Got a starter going for a Chinook/ Citra IPA. Style wise, it’ll be an East coast/ West coast mashup. Also, using Kolsch yeast (WY2565), since I had it on hand and needed to use it up.

27. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,571) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

AP Dubbel racking FG sample.
    [​IMG]

28. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (69) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

I just received a 5 gallon apple brandy barrel and 5 gallon rye whiskey barrel. So much for taking a break from barrel aging! Not that I ever really believed I could contain myself from buying more.

Brewed an Imperial Stout for the apple brandy and a Wee Heavy for the Rye whiskey last week. Wasn't the smoothest brew sessions (running off wort on the kitchen floor is not ideal) but both came out just fine and will go in the barrels when fermentation is complete. Excited to see how these beers come out!

29. GormBrewhouse

I'd think the apple brandy barrel beer would be quite good

eggsurplus, Eggman20 and riptorn like this.
  30. deadwolfbones

Where'd you get the apple brandy barrel?

31. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (69) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Got the barrel through Barrels Direct as they were a little cheaper than Adventures in Homebrewing. Can't remember which distillery its from but the barrel looks in great shape and still has some liquor left in it which smells awesome. I'll have to take a taste before I put the imperial stout in there this weekend.

32. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (75) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Transferring 10 gal of LODO Pilsner w/ Loral hops to spund in kegs tonight - honestly pretty surprised at how little the lodo method added to my overall brew day. Maybe wont do it for every beer, but it was kind of fun honestly

Harvested CO2 from fermentation to kegs, so simple ! Can’t believe I haven’t tried this before, will do this for all beers going forward

33. deadwolfbones

Brewed a toasted rice pseudo-lager with Oslo kveik and Chinese hops last night.

For a 3.5 gal batch:
    4.5# Pelton (75%)
    1# Hand-Toasted Flaked Rice (17%)
    0.5# Metolius (8%)

1oz Qingdao Flower [6.5% AA] @ 25 min
    1oz Qingdao Flower @ 5 min

1.046 OG, 35 IBU

Pitched slurry from my Oslo brown ale into 1 cup of wort drawn off halfway through the mash and it was already volcanically active before the boil even started. Pitched that into the wort after chilling to 95F and it's going bonkers this morning. Fermenting at room temp, around 75F.

A2HB, Supergenious, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  34. GormBrewhouse

Fall farm work is done and the celler is thin,,, so,,
    Today brown ale
    Sunday bottleing nut brown.
    Monday Burton ale / light and smoked magik
    Tuesday citra express ipa

riptorn, Eggman20 and Maestro0708 like this.
  35. wasatchback

Trader

Hopefully two brews tomorrow...

Pale Ale with some 2019 South African Hops

Helles

Gonna be a big day. Hopefully I can get it all done.

36. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (112) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Been a busy year, but have been steadily brewing when I could. Today's funtivites included, bottling a quad, racking an IS into my bourbon barrel, and brewing my first "farmhouse/Funky" beer: a Norwegian Amber ale using Kveik Hovden.

Dave_S, Supergenious, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  37. Maestro0708

Last night I brewed a "farmhouse ale" to try out Omega's Jovaru Lithuanian farmhouse strain. I went with an amber saison base that included belgian Munich, pale wheat, and a touch of midnight wheat - was looking for a nice amber color (something like St. Feuillien Saison) and more depth of malt character. Hopped with saaz and hallertau. Interested to see how it turns out.

38. deadwolfbones

Brewed 6+ gallons of base beer for a sour using Bootleg Biology's MTF Funk Island blend.

7# Pelton (Pilsner)
    1# Shaniko (White Wheat)
    1# Rye
    1# Flaked Rye
    20g Saaz @ 30

1.048 OG. Direct pitched the mixed culture along with 1 tbsp of Oslo kveik slurry. It's going nuts right now, predictably.

39. deadwolfbones

Kegged the imperial coffee cream ale after 24hrs on 1oz whole bean and 0.5oz coarse grounds. Awesome flavor and aroma.

40. Supergenious

Yeah, harvesting CO2 to purge keg is the ONLY way to go. So simple and more efficient.

thebriansmaude likes this.