Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (176) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Just received the good word from Peter himself: The new brewery opens up at Thompson's Point June 4th!

Mark you calendars, it's a Saturday!

(This thread will turn into the Official Bissell Brother's Thread once the new brewery opens!)

Rysk22 likes this.
  2. OctoberPest

OctoberPest Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2015 Connecticut

I'll be up in the first week of July, can't wait to check the new place out!

3. MarkSansone

MarkSansone Aspirant (205) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Agreed, really looking forward to seeing the new place. Will miss the whole atmosphere at the old location though. Cheers!

4. huddyball

huddyball Devotee (417) Apr 3, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

First I've heard of this. Is this in addition to their current spot or are they moving altogether?

5. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (167) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Here is the announcement they made in January. http://www.bissellbrothers.com/thompsons-point/
    All operations are at Thompson's Point, Foundation will be expanding into the old Bissell space at Industrial Way as soon as BBB vacates.

6. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I heard a chicken and waffles place in opening there too.

7. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (280) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Are pours happening Saturday or just cans for now?

8. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (176) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Nice edit ;)

Yes, pours will be happening as well.

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (119) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

10. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Aspirant (202) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How crazy could this get on Saturday? I want to go but dont do well with crowds...

11. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (185) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Well they always saw a good line on the weekends at Industrial. This being the Grand Opening with Baby Genius and Reciprocal, I'd say the forecast is sunny with 100% chance of crowds.

12. Jbrews

Crowds aren't that scary and part of life. Just suck it up and go

Rysk22 likes this.
  13. Noozle

Noozle Initiate (127) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

so it looked like a busy day. They had 120+ cases of 3 different beers and they sold out by 4ish(?). The space looks great, looking forward to getting up there in the coming weeks. Anyone care to share their first experience at Thompson Point?

14. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (160) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Beer Trader

Heading down on Wednesday. Looking forward to some Lux. Love that beer. Can't wait to check out the new space.

bostonwolf likes this.
  15. Jrandlett8

Jrandlett8 Initiate (56) Feb 13, 2016 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Anyone know the wait time last weekend?

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  16. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (160) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Beer Trader

I was talking to one of the guys there today and he said it was pretty crazy. Three lines going for pours and cans, and the wait was at least 45 mins per line throughout most of the day, obviously a bit longer at opening. That doesn't seem too bad though. Not sure if it was extra busy because of the grand opening.. A new beer being released this weekend (Nothing Gold) will likely draw a crowd.

The new space is pretty great though. Very roomy and open. Plenty of seating and places to hang out.

17. Jbrews

As opposed to the old certainly crammed space, but we loved it there! My daughter came up on a weekend when she was only about 2 1/2 months old and slept through our whole time there while we hung out. Glad we'll have some more air and elbow space now!

18. Balrog1

Balrog1 Initiate (115) Jan 3, 2015 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Are BB, Foundation and Allagsh fairly kid friendly?

19. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (220) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I found Allagash very kid friendly (weather was nice when I was there with my 5 year old) If stuck inside, I don't think I would have called it kid friendly ... too many things I wouldn't want to run the risk of kids bumping into. Foundation was fine but you are basically hanging out in a roped off section of a parking lot. Only been to old BB location so have no input for you there.

20. Jbrews

All definitely are. We went up with some friends for a visit back in January when my daughter was only 2 months old. She slept through both tap room visits, with a crazy wedding group shmammered next to us. Most people at the breweries wanted to see her and we met some nice couples at foundation with other babies and kids next to us. I think as long as one parent isn't tossing back a few pours and has the DD vibe about them, people are much more accepting now. If anything I would think the breweries would encourage couples to come out as to not lose $ to potential customers.

21. PeterJensenBissell

PeterJensenBissell Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Maine

Hello there! Someone told me about this thread. I don't spend much time on the site but wanted to jump in to give anyone listening an update - It looks like there are some questions about our operation, so I'll do my best to answer -

-Bissell Brothers is now 100% located in the Brick North building at Thompson's Point. It is a spit of land jutting into the Fore River at the mouth of Portland Harbor. Gorgeous, and privy to up-close aircraft takeoffs and landings, as PWM is located right across the river. It is accessible by exit 5A on I-295. address is-
    BISSELL BROTHERS
    4 THOMPSON'S POINT ROAD STE 108
    PORTLAND ME 04012

We have been open all of 4 days at this point so there is very little data to go by in terms of "what to expect". Our tap room is now 2500 square feet (2000 main floor and 500 mezzanine area where guests can view our packaging and brewing areas) plus a 900 sqf patio area, so needless to say, for those familiar with our old space, it's quite a change for the better!

On anticipated busy days, we are opening with 4 full-service POS stations, and after last Saturday's opening day insanity, our GM Hester and Tap Room Manager James have devised a draft-only line so that you don't get stuck waiting in line for another beer after you've gotten your cans. I have stayed out of the way of that planning, but I am excited to see it implemented for Saturday's Nothing Gold release! The overall consensus was that the lines were moving fast and steady.

The last two midweek days have seen lines at opening, but give way to a very manageable, chill environment with plenty of cans. Don't forget that we have increased fermentation capacity by 70%! So there is definitely more beer.

We have food on site every day, a lot of the same great mobile kitchen vendors you may remember from our previous location, along with some new ones.
    In July, our friend and restauranteur Jay Loring (Nosh, Slab, Rhum) will open Big Jay's Fried Chicken and Waffles in an adjacent space, WITH AN ORDER WINDOW INTO THE TAP ROOM. This is next level shit. We're so excited! Beyond the two titular food types, the menu is very diverse, and as anyone familiar with the Portland food scene knows, this guy doesn't mess around....

Tap Room vibe- very kid friendly. well-behaved (both socially and going to the bathroom) dogs are allowed. Parking is decent, but on concert nights (the place is also a concert venue) I can tell already it's going to get hairy. If you come on a concert day after 3pm, it may be slow getting down onto the actual point itself. BUT that remains to be seen. That was the case last Saturday. But Thompson's Point (the organization) has a dedicated parking services company working all these days. I have faith.

HOURS - these are subject to change - we just need to see how much draft we go through on average, etc.
    WEDS 12-6PM
    THURS 12-6PM
    FRI 12-8PM
    SAT 12-8PM
    SUN 12-5PM
    All can releases are first come, first serve until sold out, except for Substance, which is allocated each day based on the total amount we have. We are currently canning about 35-40 BBL of Substance every week. I would reccommend following us on twitter and instagram for daily/hourly updates on what's going on in the taproom in terms of what we have left on a given day, or what we're starting with etc. It's the best bet until we get a web interface set up for up-to-the-minute can updates.
    ALSO, there are NO scheduled can releases for Sundays. If anything is left, we will certainly roll it over, but the goals with Sunday are to provide a brunch style vibe - chill, great food that deviates from the normal offerings during the week, and a place to socialize and enjoy our beers without the factor of cans and the possibility of lines.

I saw that someone posted the release schedule through July 4th weekend on this thread - there ya go.

Hope to see you all out there, we're thrilled with the tap room, new production facility, and how good the beers are tasting with the improvements we've made to the brewing process.

-Pete

#21 PeterJensenBissell, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  22. Jbrews

That right there might be the best and most informative post from a Brewery operator yet.

Billy_Bars likes this.
  23. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (294) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Beer Trader

Hi, I know they just opened new brewery, but I was wondering about getting Substance. I'll be arriving in Portland at 3 pm saturday(7/2), would Substance will be sold out then?

vonnerbeer likes this.
  24. vonnerbeer

vonnerbeer Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2010 Massachusetts

I thought last Saturday was oustanding and was very well organized for the first day at the new spot. I arrived at 11:45 and the line was pretty long , but it really moved once the doors opened. I was out the door by 12:30 although I only picked up cans. The space and location is fantastic. Cheers!

25. Jbrews

It's a who knows situation. It's spelled out pretty clear in the post above, from the brewer, I would hope you took the 5 minutes to read.

26. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (294) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Beer Trader

Looked up their Twitter and seems like it would be hard for me to get some cans. Thanks.

27. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (125) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

They're going to have higher allottments on Saturdays, but obviously more people in line at opening. Some of the local release hype might be turned down, but it's also a long weekend. I wouldn't bank on it for the long weekend factor.

28. Balrog1

Balrog1 Initiate (115) Jan 3, 2015 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Might have to make my second trip in 3 days tomorrow for Nothing Gold before heading back to CT. Trying to decide how early to get there (driving from York).

29. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (525) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Not a good line situation out here. I guess they can only hold 200 in the building so people just wanting to buy cans need to wait for those enjoying a pint to leave. Why don't they just sell cans outside for those who want to grab and go?

30. Gushue3

Gushue3 Defender (647) Jun 10, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anybody there now? How are the lines?

31. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (217) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gushue3 likes this.
  32. CayseyW

CayseyW Zealot (517) Mar 7, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

On my way to Portland first thing Wednesday (June 22) morning. There's a Substance and Baby G can release. I'm hoping to be there by 12 at the latest. Just want to get some feedback on what the line could be like and if there's a possibility I won't get cans. Any insight is appreciated.

33. Derrick62283

Derrick62283 Initiate (170) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

^^ You're good at 12 on a Wednesday

34. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (208) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I know it's only been a few weeks in the new brewery but Any ideas on how long lines will be Tomorrow or Friday? (looks like just substance) Do I need to be there at opening? how long have cans been lasting? I'm thinking of heading up from wells but will have my kids with me. Thanks

35. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (37) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

this would be nice to know, wife and i are heading up on friday for a wedding and we were planning on getting to bissell for opening.

36. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (185) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was up there two Fridays ago, barely any line. Got my Substance and a couple of pours in 10 minutes

37. HopQuest

HopQuest Initiate (117) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut

Can you get growler fills at the new site or just cans and pint pours?

38. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (37) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Very cool! Thanks.

39. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (383) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Heading up to Portland tomorrow Saturday 6/25 (will not be up in time for Dinner release). Bissell shows Substance/Lux on for Saturday. Should be arriving around 4-5 PM. What are the chances those beers will still be around in cans when I arrive?

40. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

To be honest no probably not, esp after a dinner release. But they have like 7 or 8 taps going right now so you'll be able to get pour for a few hours.

Cheers!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe