NA (ABV < 0.5%) beers (2023)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jan 1, 2023.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero (975) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Cheers to new years and NA beers!

Maybe you’re a regular contributor here, or just someone curious about the growing number of NA options. We welcome everyone, from those who only drink NA beers to the folks who might try one on occasion, to discuss and share your thoughts on the growing range of NA beers.

I’m opening a new-to-me NA beer, Partake’s NAIPA, to try alongside the ‘regular’ offerings tonight. Will it impress, or just remind me of the style’s general features? Watch for a review and/or follow up post!

IKR, LakesideBrewing, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  2. beer_beer

beer_beer (635) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Have been drinking NA quite exactly five years, can deeply recommend it! Have dry moments, days, weeks, months, years, lives. I'm inclined to the latter.

Looks my great NA beer hunt is coming to an end though. Have had about 300 different, and not always remembering which ones. New ones have mainly to be from abroad, with the cost. Think I will enjoy the 90 or so different from my regular super market provider, now and then there will be a new one, which I will be registering and tasting, maybe one or two new each haul, so 10-20 new per year?

Will simply go deeper with the ones readily available :beers:

#2 beer_beer, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,275) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Are any American NA beers imported to Finland, or are you trading and/or buying online? Any way you look at it, it's got to be expensive for you.

eppCOS and beer_beer like this.
  4. beer_beer

Society

Luckily there are the Hoppy Lager/Amber and IPA Special Effects from the Brooklyn brewery. Have been buying online from mainly the Netherlands and earlier Britain. Cutting down on that radically, will not put in so much energy in totally new anymore. Comfy to drink known.

eppCOS and PapaGoose03 like this.
  5. bsp77

bsp77 (475) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I started incorporating some NA beers back in October and am going completely dry for January. I have had quite a few and here are my thoughts:

Guinness 0 is a lot closer to their Nitro Draught cans than I expected. I could get by on mostly this if I had to.

Clausthaler Dry Hopped is also surprisingly good and super cheap at Trader Joes.

Untitled Art Juicy IPA is probably the best NA beer I have had, but the price is a little too high for regular purchase.

Athletic is a good company overall and everything is decent to quite good. I am getting four, new, online-only 6-packs via FedEx today.

Bravus simply sucks overall. I tried a variety pack and the 4 beers ranged from godawful to barely serviceable.

I had a few local MN ones from Summit and Bauhaus that were good but nothing special.

And I do not know why Sam Adams Just the Haze gets decent reviews. It is putrid overly sweet swill.

TCgenny, eppCOS, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  6. elNopalero

Society Trader

We should put a warning here about Bravus. I think they were the overall worst reviewed in our tasting last year.

IKR, eppCOS and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

Society

If they can't get fresh-ish beer to my store I'll never know for sure. But I agree with your statement.

8. bsp77

bsp77 (475) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

It was like 4 months old. That can't possibly explain how awful it was.

eppCOS and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

Society

The 2.54 overall beer average here on BA really makes a statement. I don't know how they stay in business.

eppCOS and bsp77 like this.
  10. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly (225) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Totally agree with you re Clausthaler Dry Hopped. Having one at the moment. I usually stay dry on Tuesday and Wednesday but will attempt even more abstinence this month (really overdid it this holiday season).
    See a lot of good things about Untitled Art on the forums, but haven't come across any around here.
    Tried some Athletic IPAs, ok but wasn't crazy about them. Did like the SA Just the Haze.
    Think I like more lager- ish NAs. The NA IPAs just make me feel homesick.
    Lagunitas NA IPA NG (no good). Odd. You'd think that would be right up their alley.

11. JimKal

JimKal (285) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Thanks for the review. I occasionally try some NA beers. A good idea for someone my age. Most of them seem to disappoint so I try to stick with lower ABV beers and stay away fro the 7% plus beers. I've had the SA Just the haze and didn't hate it but it , IMO, isn't very beer like and too sweet.
    I picked up some Guinness 0 and looking forward to trying it, especially after you review.

12. PapaGoose03

Society

Check out last year's thread too. I recently reviewed the Clausthaler NA Dry Hopped beer. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/na-abv-0-5-beers-2022.664128/
    I agree with @bsp77 's assessments and I think you'll like the Guinness 0.0 if you like the regular Guinness, and also the Clausthaler DH beer if you are an IPA lover.

JimKal, AlcahueteJ and beer_beer like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (655) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I don't mind the "hop waters" like Lagunitas Hop Refresher, Hoplark, and Sierra Nevada Hop Splash (admittedly haven't tried the latter two). The issue is, these are typically out on warm shelves, and they could be old too.

But I like them mainly because they don't try to be beer, so my expectations are lower, and there's no calories.

My biggest gripe with a NA beer is when it doesn't taste good AND I wasted calories...

14. JimKal

JimKal (285) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Just reporting back as I just tried the Guinness 0. I agree with bsp77 as well. It reminded me of Guinness Nitro (yes, I am one of those who enjoy a good nitro beer). I could see myself buying this again if it sticks around.

15. AlcahueteJ

Society

Still the closest beer to the real thing I've had. And only about 75 calories per 14.9 oz. can if I recall.

16. IKR

IKR (0) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Deschutes Black Butte N/A and Athletics' First Ride are my never let me down, would be good even for alcoholic beers. My beer tastes run towards stouts and porters as my favorite styles though. Happy New Year all!

17. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor (710) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

60 calories / 13.5 carbs

PGHPABeerdrinker likes this.
  18. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Been enjoying a number of NA brews so far this month - doing the dry Jan thing.....

My favorites so far would be;

Guinness 0
    Sam Adams = Just the Haze
    Flying Dog - Deep Fake
    Clausthaler DH
    Weihenstephaner NA

I ordered some additional AF beers online, which should arrive Wednesday - have not tried any of the Untitled Art NA beers, so a few of those are in my order, along with favorite Bitburger Drive (which I used to find locally in years past, but not now)....will report back!

19. CentralPABeerDude

CentralPABeerDude (120) Sep 1, 2022 Pennsylvania

Had Heineken 0.0 last night. Actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

20. Giantspace

Giantspace (625) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Has anyone tried any of these, they all at the TW but I’m looking for opinions from BA drinkers not the TW reviews.

Ceria
    Gruvi
    Wellbeing
    Atmos
    Partake
    Sober carpenter
    Surreal
    Erdinger
    Clausthaler
    Brooklyn, they have a mix of 4 beers
    Lagunitas NA IPA
    Weinstephaner

Untitled art is quite expensive and even more than I care to pay for the real thing.

Any thoughts are great.

Thanks
    Enjoy

21. PapaGoose03

Society

Here's a link to last year's NA Beers thread. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/na-abv-0-5-beers-2022.664128/. It has comments on most of the beers in your list.

I've had many from the list, and I particularly liked the Wellbeing IPA and the Dry Hopped version of the Clausthaler NA. I have not had the regular Clausthaler in many years, but it was my personal pick in the early years of NA beers.

At least one brewery to avoid in your list is the Partake brand. The few Partake beers that I tried were somewhere around 8 months old, which is probably a factor, but I don't think there are any favorable comments about that brand in the 2022 thread.

PGHPABeerdrinker and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I have had several of the ones on your list.....(see my post above)...
    The Weihenstephaner is pretty decent, as are the 2 Brooklyn brewing ones I have had
    I like the Clausthaler DH version better than the original - but both are pretty good
    Most of the others you mentioned (early part of your list) - I have not tried
    FYI!

23. alucard6679

alucard6679 (325) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Does anyone know if the NA Black Butte Porter was just a one-off? It’s one of those things where I want to bring it in because I know it would sell, but I also want it for me because I’m sober now and I miss that beer :grin: Anyway, I’ve been talking to my distributor rep and keep hearing they haven’t seen any for months and haven’t heard about getting more in. Could just be an AZ thing, but wanted to ask on the off chance that anyone here would know.

24. pbrian

pbrian (0) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I'm a fan of Sober Carpenter IPA, more of a West Coast style. Only problem is I can only find it at one place, and that's a meat house/butcher shop that I don't frequent often.

25. AlcahueteJ

Society

That would be 74.5 calories for the can though right? Which is 14.9 oz.

Checked their site, it says 57 calories per 12 oz. (But it’s always 14.9 oz servings unless you only drank 12 oz of it). See below.

Serving Size
    12 fl oz
    Calories
    Carbs
    12.4g
    Fat
    0.0g

JimKal likes this.
  26. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Why not call or email Deschutes directly and ask them?

alucard6679 and JimKal like this.
  27. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Slight difference from what their site says vs what is on the can - see below - but yes, it is a 14.9 oz can, so the calories and carbs are slightly higher than what is printed / per can - kind of a weird way to list their nutritional info, if you ask me! Don't think anyone is going to pour out 12 oz of a nitro can and drink the rest later..

[​IMG]

28. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas (310) Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut
    Trader

I mentioned this at the end of the 2022 thread, for whomever may be interested, Athletic has a dry January sale, it's a half off membership (which you can cancel after receiving your beers). It includes free shipping. I, by way of example, grabbed 4 core beers and 2 limited releases for 35 bucks ( so (6) six packs and it included a glass). Just mentioning in case folks weren't aware. Cheers!

Smorgasvein, alucard6679, kp7 and 3 others like this.
  29. AlcahueteJ

Society

Ah, that's where I was getting the 74 calories from. Yep, it definitely is weird.

JimKal and beer_beer like this.
  30. alucard6679

alucard6679 (325) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Probably should’ve just done that, I guess I was just bored

31. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Anyone else try this one?

I ordered it online, and it is a pretty nice pils.....wish I had ordered more than 2!

[​IMG]

32. PapaGoose03

Society

The BA page for Al's Drinks Company https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/62311/ says the beers are brewed by another brewery. Any hint on the can who that is?

BeerVikingSailor likes this.
  33. elNopalero

Society Trader

They’re listed as being in Windsor, CA. I’d love it if RR was somehow contract brewing this under the radar.

That said, my guess is Barrel Brothers.

AZgman and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. Giantspace

Keep thinking about buying a bunch of these NA beers. I keep asking myself “are these really beers or expensive juice” when you are drinking one of these are you getting the feel of a beer? W/O the alcohol can the body be good or are these watery? I see reviews all over the spectrum so I really don’t know. I will need to just buy some( have seen no singles) and see how it goes, just looking for more thought on these products. Really Looking to use this as a late night replacement or to drink the night before I have to work really early. Think if I put in a long day and crack one of these at 11pm it would be satisfying?

Enjoy

beer_beer likes this.
  35. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

The can says, "brewed in the USA Al's Drinks Co LLC Waunakee WI" - I assume that is where the owner lives.....

Barrel Brothers in Windsor CA is the only contract brewer / canner I see in that area, and they list NA beers as something they do....so, I would feel comfortable saying these guys are packaging for Al's / the owner of Al's - Alban de Pury, is from Switzerland!
    Bit pricy at $14.99 / 6, but very good beer!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  36. PapaGoose03

Society

You've right that comments vary widely for the various beers, and I have a feeling that it's probably related to the freshness of the beers, and even more so than with regular beers. Like with regular beers, the freshness is especially important with the hoppy NA beers, but I think it's also important with any NA beer.

The best one that I've had is Untitled Art's Italian Pilsner. It's pricey for a 6-pack of 12 oz cans at $16-17 but it's a personal decision on price and desire for a beer.

The Guinness 0 is the one that tastes closest to a regular beer in its style, but Guinness has a unique stout character and you have to like regular Guinness to appreciate the zero version.

I recently discovered the Clausthaler Dry Hopped NA beer, which I think is a relatively new beer, and it seems to be gathering a following.

The Sam Adams Just the Haze is popular, but its hop character isn't as clear as a real hazy beer, and it has some sweetness that also makes it 'different.'

If I attempt to relate NA beers to regular beers, the best ones that I've mentioned above would only rate a 3.0 on the 1-5 BA rating scale if I compared them in the same style category as regular beers that I might rate as a 4.25. So there's my 'enjoyability' comparison, which is different from 'rating to style' because I rate these beers in comparison to other NA offerings.

The last point that I'll address is your comment about drinking NA beers on nights when the lack of side effects are important to your schedule for the next day. I just kind of 'tolerate' the NA beers and I'm not sure I could drink more than a couple of them in one sitting. After two of them I think my brain would tell me that any of these best NA beers are disgusting, and ask why I'm doing this to myself. Diet soft drinks would be more enjoyable.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. Giantspace

Thanks for the reply.

I feel I would also wonder why after having one of these. I need to find a few singles before I dive in. Thinking some SN hop water might be an easier choice.

Enjoy

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  38. beer_beer

Society

I think one NA beer in a sitting is the optimum. Probably that's because you don't have to hunt the buzz (there is not going to be any). My NA-rating average is 4.06, so excellent!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  39. kp7

kp7 (270) Feb 8, 2021 Massachusetts

Thanks for posting about this. I've been thinking for a while of grabbing some NA beers to supplement my regular drinking, for those times when I really want another but shouldn't. This helps bring the price down a lot and means I don't have roll the dice on freshness with whatever is at my local. Looks like there isn't a lot a variety for the subscription, so I'm hoping All Out is good!

GlenFarclas likes this.
  40. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Thought I would list the calories and carbs of the 11 NA brews I have sampled thus far this year....I have tried others (like Athletic and a few domestic ones a few years back), but these are current;

BrewDog Hazy AF - 20 calories - 2.3 carbs
    Guinness 0 - 75 calories - 16.8 carbs
    Clausthaler reg - 92 calories - 20 carbs
    Clausthaler DH - 83 calories - 18.6 carbs
    Heineken 0 - 69 calories - 16 carbs
    Weihenstephaner - 50 calories - 8.9 carbs
    Sam Adams Just the Haze - 98 cal - 22 carbs
    Flying Dog Deep Fake - 39 calories - 16 carbs
    Einbecker AF - 40 calories - 8 carbs
    Bitburger Drive AF - 72.6 cal - 16.8 carbs
    Al's Classic pils - 68 calories - 15 carbs

thought this may be useful for those watching their caloric / carb intake - most of these are much lower in calories than your average craft beer; carbs - kind of all over the board....FYI!