Online Beer Tastings - Idea Submission Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Harrison8, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,642) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Hello BA members,

Based on this thread here, it looks like we need to host some more online beer tastings. With our next online tasting being held January 7th, and with the current winner of the poll being to host an online tasting every month, it is time to start generating some ideas for future tastings. Since this is about the BA community drinking and sampling beer together, we would like as much input as possible to make these events a success. To help aid in collecting that data, I made a short Google Form survey to help analyze the data quicker. That survey can be found here:

https://goo.gl/forms/PPNJFGjPToDhxAOq2

Otherwise, I will leave the floor open to you all to discuss what you do want to see for future online beer tastings. I'm curious what other BA members think should happen for future online tastings.

Cheers.

bl00, larryi86, StoutElk_92 and 4 others like this.
  2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Already took the survey, I'm glad we have other people wanting to start these. I do want to get a narwhal tasting going sometime soon. Other than that I like the idea of a style specific online tasting, that hasn't been done and I'd be curious to see how it works out.

Harrison8 and TongoRad like this.
  3. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I think a natty light online tasting would be fun

4. Scott17Taylor

Trader

We could definitely do a macro lager, whether it be a particular one or a style tasting. The thing is though, if we only do one a month do you think it's worth it and do you think enough people would be interested?

5. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,138) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

How about Doppelbock. Korbinian is a favorite of mine. And classic styles need more lovin'.

6. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I think style specific is a good idea. I also think it would be good to get national/regional distro brews, since to me part of tasting is comparing to others and trying to pick out qualities that others get. I'm pretty good at pinpointing certain flavors or aromas that some people may miss, but also others might be able to describe something I can't.

It might also be cool to do one with single hop IPA's, like mosaic or Idaho 7 (fairly common single hop hops), that way we could look specifically into a particular hop though we may not all drink the same beer. Then there's kind of a unification of thought, and an understanding of how changing other parts of the brewing process effects a beer.

7. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I like the idea of doing a specific-style tasting rather than a specific-beer one -- sometimes it's tricky to find certain beers if you don't live in a major city area. Not entirely against the specific-beer ones in the case of "classics" that are widely available... I'm hoping I'll be able to be there for the Ten Fidy one -- I know there's a store here that carries the four-packs and I've been wanting to try that beer anyway, so why not?

I figure if it's going to be one style a month and trying to get every style in there at some point, AAL will come up eventually. They're easy to find and almost always cheap, too, unlike a lot of other styles... so I'm sure there'd be enough participation from those who will drink them (even if it's just one can/bottle on specific occasions... like an online beer tasting) to cancel out the lack of participation from those who can't stand them.

A lot of people still have a cheap macro beer occasionally, even if they mostly drink craft/imports (plus there's the occasional attempt at an adjunct lager from a craft brewery... heck, there's even been a couple of craft-brewery malt liquors.)

BWood and utopiajane like this.
  8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (931) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Celebration Ale

9. Harrison8

Society Trader

I'm still down for a Narwhal tasting. I did order a bottle online (first time doing so) just out of curiosity. I am thinking only one stout tasting for a while. Since our next tasting is a stout, and then we only have a month or two of brutal winter before spring rolls around. Perhaps February? March? March is starting to feel a little late personally. We could set Narwhal up for next December. I'm not aware of when it hits shelves each year.

Korbinian would be great. I really like that idea.

FBarber and loebrygg like this.
  10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Samichlaus. Just don't plan on doing anything afterward.

11. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (227) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Duchesse de Bourgogne

dukeandduke, zid and FBarber like this.
  12. rypkr

rypkr Champion (877) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

St bernadus abt 12
    Schlenkerla marzen
    Weihenstephaner hefe

larryi86, aquabears and Premo88 like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I could see alternating between style and specific beer tastings. One month, say, a Hefeweisse tasting, next month maybe do a beer that is fairly easy for most folks to get.

For specific beer recommendations I could see doing Anchor Porter, Chimay Grande Reserve, Stone Ruination.

Long list of great beers that we almost all have access to nowadays.

14. manillaroad

manillaroad Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2016 Florida

Something by Boulevard would be an easy one for a lot of people.

15. Scott17Taylor

Trader

A hefeweizen tasting would be cool, should probably wait until summer for that one. I don't know about do an online tasting of something that doesn't cellar, do you think it'd still be interesting if there aren't multiple vintages?

Premo88 likes this.
  16. Scott17Taylor

Trader

Agreed, BBQ, saison Brett, imperial stout, there are many we could do.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,656) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I love the idea of alternating myself, as well as sticking with the classics for the individual selections. But fwiw Chimay Grand Reserve has already been done - it was that thread that eventually led to ones like this.

18. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,839) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

another vote for all those, especially Schlenkerla! Or a rauchbier/smoked beer style tasting! And make that one a Sunday so I don't get caught downing pints of smoked marzens at work. :stuck_out_tongue::grinning::stuck_out_tongue:

aquabears, TongoRad and Harrison8 like this.
  19. Harrison8

Society Trader

All good ideas, folks. I'm really liking where this is headed.

Per the comments I've gotten back in the survey, I thought one was worthy of discussion.

As far as limits on the style beer tasting thread, what if we excluded all brewery-only releases?

I was thinking we would do this on an IPA tasting or stout, since those beers tend to be the hyped, hard-to-get beers. After all, these tastings are really about showing off new beer, sorta like the New Beer Sunday, but with a style theme. Just me two cents. What do you all think?

Also, I was thinking about setting the February tasting to the tune of Dopplebock. It would be a nice malty, winter beer session without going back to a stout after Ten Fidy.

20. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,839) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Are you saying we should exclude releases or not exclude them? I ask because you say we should exclude but then say these tastings are about "new" beer ... those two points seem opposite to me ... but it could be me. (it often is :flushed:)

My vote: no exclusions for the style threads.

I know that means we'll be looking at, reading about and reviewing a lot of beers that we all can't enjoy, but personally I like reading about brews on the East Coast or up in the Great Northwest that are exclusive to that area. And the free-for-all style threads will be balanced out by the single-beer threads in which we're picking Chimay Red or Weihenstephan Hefe or Pilsner Urquell, beers everybody can get their hands on, so nobody has to feel left out.

Either way, I'm cool ... especially with a DOPPLEBOCK THREAD!!! Quintiple vote yes from me on that!

21. Scott17Taylor

Trader

Dopplebock sounds awesome, I need a reason to branch out.

Premo88 and Harrison8 like this.
  22. dennis3951

Why? 99% of all beer is best fresh.

23. TongoRad

Society Trader

Yeah, the style threads can run the gamut and hopefully show the many facets of the style. But the best part about the times when we all do the same beer come from comparing notes; "I wasn't getting that grape soda quality until you mentioned it", stuff like that. So those should definitely lean towards the easier to get beers.

Premo88 likes this.
  24. Scott17Taylor

Trader

Because if everyone is drinking the same beer and it isn't a cellarable style everyone's tasting notes will be really similar.

Harrison8 likes this.
  25. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (579) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Perfect timing! I had coincidentally been planning on buying some Celebrator soon anyway (haven't had it in a while :flushed: ), so I'll be all set to join my first online tasting. :grinning:

Premo88, TongoRad and Harrison8 like this.
  26. Harrison8

Society Trader

The idea wasn't to exclude new releases, but just brewery only releases. It would more-so by a regulation within specific tasting events, so they wouldn't apply to every style tasting. The biggest beers effected would be IPAs, or stouts, where breweries can twice a week, and if you miss it, you're out. I just want to include beers that folks can get their hands on a little easier. Based on the feedback, we'll hold off on any restrictions on brewery-only beers so far. It's just something I want folks to think about. We could post a "locals only" limit, so we could see what's being brewed in everyone's area, but may not be well known. If that's the case, brewery-only beers would be extremely welcome since there aren't always a lot of local breweries that distribute. Neither of those limits wouldn't play a huge role in the Dopplebock thread anyway.

Based on the feedback, I'm thinking we need to start a Dopplebock thread. I just got an Italian dopplebock in my work's beer exchange, so I'll have something to practice with between now and February :slight_smile:

Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  27. Harrison8

Society Trader

Double post again. Please forgive me.

I made an event for the Dopplebock tasting. That event can be found here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/82013/

I kept with the first Saturday of the month again. So start thinking about what Dopplebock or two you want to sip for the online tasting! I'll post a stand alone thread for the event when we get a little closer.

Cheers.

28. TongoRad

Society Trader

That would be a great beer to include! A lot of the stronger Italian beers (pre-craft) fall into a tax classification called Doppio Malto, which are essentially in the bock family. They do a very credible job with them.

zid, Premo88 and Harrison8 like this.
  29. dennis3951

I don't think that is true but if it is why is it a problem?

30. aquabears

aquabears Aspirant (257) Mar 29, 2016 Connecticut

Love Schlenkerla.

Premo88 likes this.
  31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think making a tasting style specific is not going to work to well without parameters. By that I mean to say naming a few (2 or 3) widely available examples of the style and limiting the tasting to those beers.
    If you don't limit it, you will have 25 people drinking 19 different beers. I think it is much more interesting to have people drinking the same thing.

32. Scott17Taylor

Trader

With dopplebocks it should still only be a few different ones with the occasional person drinking a local. If and when we do a more common style. We also need to do a barleywine tasting, but that might have to wait.

Harrison8 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  33. Harrison8

Society Trader

Really? So a more focused version of New Beer Sunday?

I don't ask out of shock, I just want some clarification. It would be kind of nice to see different Dopplebocks, IPAs, Amber Ales, etc. being made around the country, but at the same time I can sort of see where you're coming from.

Let's run with the current Dopplebock tasting in February, and if we need to adjust, we can adjust. March will be a specific beer tasting, so we'll have about a month to get up the next style tasting after the Dopplebock one.

Anyone want to try a Biere de Champagne/ Biere Brut tasting? I know that's getting a little more specific and pricey, but I have thought about picking up a few for my cellar and really want an excuse to buy one. Haha.

@Scott17Taylor a barleywine tasting would be excellent. The Bigfoot one last year was my first ever online tasting. I wouldn't mind showing off some Old Backus from some local guys. Best beer in Kansas (which might not say a lot, sorry neighbors).

34. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,844) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Personal thoughts/preference, I'm with @SammyJaxxxx on this one. My thought of an online tasting is to note the similarities the taters get as much as the differences. It's to listen to what others are saying and trying to experience what they are. Since others like the style idea, I'd vote for either limiting the choices so everyone would have a chance to compare and converse with someone having a common experience.

Again, just my opinion. I might suggest for the broader tastings that involve less known styles maybe posting the BJCP guidelines for the style for people to compare to. That could act as proxy for those with a beer no one else is tasting with them and give a common ground across taters. Maybe??

35. Harrison8

Society Trader

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. So for future style tastings we should aim to keep it within a listing of beers? I.e. if we did an IPA, we could say SN Torpedo, Boulevard The Calling, Firestone Walker's Luponic Distortion (whatever edition we're on), etc.

I saw it as a more board style trial, where we can see what else is being produced in the style of dopplebock, stout, quad, etc. I like the idea of some specificity, so others can share and converse on their experience rather then a show and tell. For Dopplebock, do we want to limit it? I'm thinking since it's a less produced style, we let it run its gamut, posting the BJCP guidelines in the original post and let others share. A style like IPA, or stout would be much easier to limit within specific guidelines or by a specific list.

utopiajane, Scott17Taylor and cjgiant like this.
  36. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,844) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I would agree with you on the style-dependent limitations. Finding a Biere-de-Garde (using your example which could be interesting) that is "universally available" might be hard, for instance. Choosing one or even a few might be too difficult.

And to also agree, IPA is so wide, at least we might want to consider those featuring (or touting that they feature) a certain hop (not to poo-poo the malt side, but we are talking IPA :wink:). For my two cents, I'd consider doing that and giving a couple ubiquitous examples as "preferred" options.

Of course, I'm just one person with his own opinions, and it's nice the planners are allowing me/us to give them. Nice to see others are chiming in as well. It's probably obvious, but the planners aren't likely to please everyone [every time] - and at some point a decision will be made. I for one will be fine with the decision, whichever way it leads us.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. Scott17Taylor

Trader

I don't want to see style tastings limited. I want to see some examples of the style I may have never heard of. We haven't done any style tastings yet, but it could be fun to see locals, and lesser known examples.

38. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I like that idea very much. The new guidelines are not on the internet in the same way as the old. You know what I mean? If you type in bjcp dubbel for example- you will get the category and the bjcp listings from 2008. If you want to read the new guidelines for the same category you have to scroll through the whole pdf.

cjgiant and VABA like this.
  39. Scott17Taylor

Trader

Bump, we just finished the Dopplebock tasting, anyone have any ideas for the March tasting? Early March is still winter, we could do another style tasting and do barleywine, or we could go back to a single beer and keep it going every other with a style and particular beer tasting.

40. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,263) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

I feel like we have so many suggestions that we should make these tastings more frequent. I think a barleywine tasting would be good while it's still cold in some areas, and maybe even snowy (it has barely snowed this season in Boston, though I'm trying not to complain too much :wink:). I think an Irish style tasting would be good around St. Patrick's day, maybe a combo of Irish Red ales, strong ales, and Irish Dry Stouts, or any Irish beer people can get their hands on, maybe on March 18th the Saturday after St. Patty's day this year. We can try to think of a specific beer tasting too, maybe Nugget Nectar, or some other beer that gets released around this time that is widely available to have one of these upcoming weeks.