Rant-winter beer gone from shelves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, Jan 7, 2020.

1. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (434) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Stopped off at Wegman's on my way home from work to pick up a 6 of Hofbräu Winter Spezial (my favorite beer this winter) and discovered that Wegman's had removed ALL of the holiday/winter beers from the shelves. All that's left are a few variety 12 packs, no singles, 4's, or 6's.

But thank God they found room for 492 4-packs of PBR hard coffee!
    [​IMG]

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

:grimacing:

Oh wait. Winter is over? Yippee-ki-yay!

#2 Bitterbill, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  3. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (348) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

That is disheartening and kinda horrifying. What ever happened to options?

4. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Was that a rogue decision by one store/buyer/manager, or has this happened in other Wegman's? It seems quite odd.

5. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Defender (633) Dec 3, 2014 Washington

Man that's like a firework stand selling nothing but sparklers...

6. officerbill

Society

In my experience the stocking decisions come from either regional or corporate. The individual beer department managers normally don't make those sorts of decisions.

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeesh, the least they could have done is push out the remaining stock at a discount in a separate display.

Peach63, keithmurray, eppCOS and 7 others like this.
  8. officerbill

Society

You'd think.
    That rack of PBR hard coffee is where the majority of the holiday/winter beers were.
    The beer manager has told me she isn't allowed to discount beer, the best she can do is place them in the “build your own” section.

9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

That's gonna cost the distributors a few bucks, buying it all back?

10. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (184) Oct 6, 2004 California

Winter beers out of rotation, 17 days into winter. Brilliant.

KentT, meanmutt, Peach63 and 15 others like this.
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (256) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I mentioned in a thread recently that a few days before Christmas I was in a store and saw tons of winter/Christmas beers. A few days after, all gone, and I know that it all did not sell due to the amount that was there. It's so strange!

I'll pay extra close attention when I am in a store again within the next week or so but I expect the same thing at my Wegmans, @officerbill

Peach63, Junior, mikeinportc and 2 others like this.
  12. ESHBG

Yeah Wegmans rarely discounts beer. I have only seen it once and that was during a reset and they were trying to clear out really old beers. You could get six packs for $5-$6.00, though.

13. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (90) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

THOSE SHELVES.

wow.

mikeinportc and officerbill like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,318) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you know for a fact where those beers went? Did they re-send them back to the Wholesale Distributors? If so, what will the Wholesale Distributors do with those beers? Send them to other retailers in your area?

Cheers!

15. officerbill

Society

I don't know what happened to them, the winter beers and gift packs were there Thursday. When most of their summer beers suddenly disappeared I was told they were returned to the distributor so maybe Wegman's is big enough to make some sort of deal.

The beer manager wasn't in this afternoon, but I plan on asking her the next time I see her.

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Must be a corporate policy then?

In NJ retailers are not allowed to sell beer below cost, but I do see certain seasonals at a buck or two less per sixer at times like this. And that seems to be enough to move the remaining stock. Heck, if it's a beer I enjoy I'm usually happy to help them out with stuff like that myself.

meefmoff, beertunes, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,577) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

So where do these winter beers go that get removed from shelves in early January? I feel a Scooby Doo mystery needs solves here. All you meddling Millenial kids, please get on it! I'll meet you at the malt shop later on.

18. officerbill

Society

I was told that Wegman's doesn't put beer on sale when they quit carrying Unibroue.

Brewer's Bridge isn't selling at $16/4 pack. She wants to get rid of the stock, but can't put it on sale so every couple of weeks she puts 8 bottles in the “build your own” section and I get to buy them for $9.99/6 pack. :grin:

Peach63, zid, mikeinportc and 5 others like this.
  19. ESHBG

Yeah I do think it may be their policy (and because of PA's system they probably aren't in a position to take a loss on product). And I think PA has a similar law but I do see distributors offer specials occasionally e.g. 20% off for certain things.

TongoRad likes this.
  20. ESHBG

$9.99?! That's a good price, down here mix a six are $11.99.

21. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

Well, this is what happens when Winter beers show up on shelves in early October.

22. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Fill those shelves up with Whitman Sampler Valentine Stout to make things better.

23. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,253) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

At least SOME people want sparklers. Anyone looking for PBR Hard Coffee?

24. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Look on the bright side. In a couple months - three tops - this year’s pumpkin beers will be out on the shelves

25. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (901) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I can understand clearing out the Christmas/Holiday beers after New Years, people/customers are mentally over the holidays by then, but I don't understand the harm in keeping a smaller of display of more general Winter beers when it's definitely winter outside. And Wegman's should be aware that winter is not over, since their headquarters in Rochester, NY is still deep in the throes of winter.

26. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (232) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I don't know what the specific PA laws regarding beer pricing are, but I have purchased beer that had been marked down pretty substantially at my local distributor. If I recall it was about 5.99 for a 12 pack of a something from Sierra Nevada. Golden IPA maybe? It was less than 3 months old and would have been good at full price.

27. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,292) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

If it's anything like Northern Illinois, it'll all be back on shelves next year.

Seriously, watch for those S dates next year!

bluejacket74, pinyin, Billet and 3 others like this.
  28. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,088) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

That sucks...
    But your reaction is how I feel about everyone who takes down winter decoration the day after Xmas. Why? Just keep the lights up for a bit. Don't be such a Debbie Downer. :wink:

29. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (764) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

That sucks. I'm barely even ready for winter beer.

Mister_Faucher likes this.
  30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,838) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Having tried it (and this forum is well aware of my affection for coffee), I'm really enjoying this PBR hard coffee. If my fridge wasn't full of SN Celebration and 40th Anniversary, I'd load up on PBR for video game sessions. Caffeine will help my attention in Call of Duty and the slight buzz will keep me from overthinking moves - win-win! It'd be interesting to see how I race in a Forza series after a few PBR hard coffees too. Would the caffeine dominate my performance (as someone who is sensitive to caffeine) or would my reaction time slow too much?

But I am sorry OP lost his winter beer. That's a helluva lot more PBR hard coffee than anyone needs, and despite my enjoyment for PBR hard coffee, it won't replace beer for me.

bluejacket74, Jaycase, bbtkd and 5 others like this.
  31. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,871) Jun 18, 2010 New York

Over the last 10 years the creep of seasonal beers being raced to shelves has accelerated so much I question if there truly is a "seasonal" beer anymore. It is more of a release date driven model now.

Peach63 and officerbill like this.
  32. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (704) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I usually buy/receive so much Holiday/Winter beer in Nov/Dec, it takes me through Feb. Unfortunately, that's what you have to do at this point.

Peach63 and officerbill like this.
  33. Ranbot

Society

Technically, the religious Christian Christmas season continues to Epiphany or Three Kings Day (January 6th), so for Christians there is a Biblical basis in keeping Christmas decorations [and beer?] around until at least then.
    [​IMG]

#33 Ranbot, Jan 7, 2020
    jglenn73, Witherby, Peach63 and 8 others like this.
  34. officerbill

Society

Well, today is Orthodox Christmas...

DISKORD, Peach63, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  35. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (590) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I considered myself lucky to find some 2019 Anchor Christmas Ale at a local shop this past Saturday. They only had two 6-packs left. I bought one.

Peach63, Bitterbill and officerbill like this.
  36. outlaw1323

outlaw1323 Initiate (91) Mar 22, 2012 California

I think the problem is a lot of regular consumers treat winter seasonal beer as holiday beer because a lot of the retail push for holidays heavily includes winter themed. When the holidays are over people are done with it and everything associated with it. Also most of the country is 2-3 months into snowy cold weather and already anticipating spring, they dont want to drink winter beers that remind them of the cold. Sam Adam's heavily supports this by releasing cold snap in December. I think they should have a seperate season of holiday themed beers Nov-dec, and winter beers jan-feb. I live in southern California and am not anticipating spring, I want to enjoy winter for a few months.

#36 outlaw1323, Jan 7, 2020
  37. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,123) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Interesting point. I wonder if we, as consumers, should advocate brewers/distributors/retailers to make holiday vs winter classifications a thing to keep winter beers on the shelf...during winter.

kuhndog, rgordon and Singlefinpin like this.
  38. Ranbot

Society

It's true... I've drifted away from twitchy FPS games, but years ago my game was Counter-Strike [back to 1.0, then Source]. A very slight beer buzz put me in a more instinctual mindset, usually improving my play. And if I didn't do well, then it was easier detect other players cheating. :wink:

Jaycase, officerbill and Harrison8 like this.
  39. BigMFDaddy

BigMFDaddy Aspirant (206) Feb 6, 2015 Massachusetts

I would try local bottle shops instead. I know breweries like Sam Adams and Anchor are already finished, but smaller stores can usually have some left over even after the season is over.

mikeinportc likes this.
  40. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Aspirant (281) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina

Two questions:
    1) Is there any way to UN like this? No way they're going to need all that PBR Hard Coffee! What a shame! Wasted shelf space!
    2) Where does Winter Beer go for the winter?
    The thought that distributors save it until next winter makes me never want to drink Winter Beer again.

"officerbill, post: 6758351, member: 1260887"]Stopped off at Wegman's on my way home from work to pick up a 6 of Hofbräu Winter Spezial (my favorite beer this winter) and discovered that Wegman's had removed ALL of the holiday/winter beers from the shelves. All that's left are a few variety 12 packs, no singles, 4's, or 6's.

But thank God they found room for 492 4-packs of PBR hard coffee!
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

mikeinportc likes this.