Sacramento/Rocklin/Auburn - Brewery and Release Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by atomicpunk5151, Sep 7, 2016.

1. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Initiate (165) Jul 25, 2010 California

Since there are now 40+ Breweries in the greater Sacramento area, it could finally be time to have an "Official" Sac/West Sac/Rockiln/Auburn Thread.

http://www.beersinsac.com/sacramento-brewery-directory/

Most now know Knee Deep, Track 7, Bike Dog, New Glory, Moonraker, and Device. Others are starting to expand as well.

This could be a thread to talk about the latest releases. Moonraker just did their YOJO Can release two Saturdays ago and sold out 5,000 cans. Track 7 starts their new weekly 16oz can releases this Wednesday 9/7 with Sukahop NE IPA. New Glory is releasing Astro Haze Galaxy IPA cans on 9/13/16.

Also for new breweries that are opening soon or old favorites.

Local Tap Rooms like Cap City, Fieldwork, UOB, Craft Beer Vault or Final Gravity.

California Craft Beer Summit and Festival 9/8 - 9/10/2016.

Are there enough Beer Advocates here to post about the Sacramento Area?

xmcmc and theconductor like this.
  2. Marco_Gtz

Marco_Gtz Devotee (498) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm sure there are enough. Excited for what Track 7 is about to do with the weekly drops. Havent tried Sukahop yet or the Love & Hoppiness. The DDH LERE sounds good too. Glad I work 10 minutes away.

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  3. thewaterispoison

thewaterispoison Initiate (161) Jun 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Crooked Lane, Big Sexy, and Big Stump are all now open. Any initial reports back on these spots? Crooked Lane looks like it will be pretty legit.

Mraz is releasing Reckless Use of Hops on Friday.

4. atomicpunk5151

I work in Natomas, so I am close also. Track 7 is a solid place on the way home. Hoping to be there by 4pm today.

They even have the local ABC News Crew from Channel 10 there for some publicity. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marco_Gtz likes this.
  5. atomicpunk5151

#5 atomicpunk5151, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

Nice, im in downtown closer to the Curtis Park location. Hope to be there around 3. Looks like the 4 packs are $14 + tax/CRV and no limits.

7. theconductor

theconductor Aspirant (209) Nov 4, 2008 California

Bloomers Cut cans aren't far off either!

8. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (320) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Heretic dropped Incubus today as well, their Heaven Hill BA Imperial Stout. Really tasty, especially at $15.20 out the door at the brewery.

9. atomicpunk5151

Couple pics from yesterday. Track 7 "Sukahops" can release. They had it on tap as well. Track 7 said they have already sold half the cans from the run by the late evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sukahops was good. A little bit dryer and crisper then the Moonrakers YOJO ne ipa.

Will be interesting to see what Track 7 changes on their next new NE IPA that is supposed to drop in 2 weeks on 9/21.

10. JoeyStats707

JoeyStats707 Devotee (450) Jan 28, 2014 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sacramento seems to be an area that doesn't get much publicity for their breweries in California, besides Moonraker, Knee Deep and Track 7, I dont hear much about any of these places. I often travel hours for beer and Sacramento has to be one of the least explored areas for me, even though its only 45 minutes away. This thread is a welcome presence for the scene.

How would people rank the top Sacramento breweries? I'm looking to make Sacramento brewery crawl with friends soon.

EdrickCS, Rocket80 and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  11. thewaterispoison

thewaterispoison Initiate (161) Jun 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

For me, I'd say Mraz, Fieldwork, Moonraker, Device, Berryessa, Sudwerk, Bike Dog, Track 7, Auburn, New Glory, and Claimstake are your top tier ones. I haven't been to Flatland or Titled Mash yet but it seems like they are putting out some good stuff.

12. atomicpunk5151

Track 7, Moonraker and Knee Deep are the ones I go to most often. But mostly since I am in the eastern part of the suburbs near Roseville.

Some good ones in downtown/midtown Sac and now especially WEST SAC as "thewaterispoison" listed above.

One other hidden gem is Monk's Cellar in old Roseville. They are different in that they specialize in more Belgian styles.

theconductor likes this.
  13. JoeyStats707

JoeyStats707 Devotee (450) Jan 28, 2014 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Im glad you added Berryessa, they arent Sacramento really, but they dont get talked about at all, and they're a good brewery and close enough to Davis, if we're counting them as Sac area.

Love their outside seating, food trucks and the beers are solid. Plus they have prefilled crowlers to take home.

My two favorite would be knee deep and moonraker, love their hoppy stuff. Im looking forward to the Napa Fieldwork taproom addition, as I live near.

14. atomicpunk5151

Looked like a HUGE turnout in Sacramento for the Craft Brewing Summit

[​IMG]

Did anyone go?

crico925 likes this.
  15. atomicpunk5151

I went to Out of Bounds Brewing in Rocklin this weekend.

Had the new "Cowbell" Blond. Pretty mellow. Just a little crisp.

[​IMG]

16. theconductor

If you want to travel super deep, but make a nice afternoon out of it, I can't recommend Ol' Republic enough. Outstanding lagers and English style ales. Do not go there looking for a West Coast IPA though!

Nevada City is a great place to spend a day. There is also another brewery in the old town area called Three Forks. Definitely worth a stop for lunch and beer while in the area.

Two other great places for beer in Nevada City are Jernigans for an outstanding taplist and burgers and Matteo's for great beer and atmosphere.

17. _pat_

_pat_ Aspirant (230) Apr 26, 2016 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Any idea how fast the YOJO cans sold out last release? Thinking about driving up for the release this weekend.

18. SDRedDevil

SDRedDevil Defender (686) Oct 25, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

About a week.

19. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

Shame about New Glory cancelling their canned release of Astro Haze. Did anyone make it out to Blue Note in Woodland? Heard they were releasing a peach sour but I didn't make it.

20. atomicpunk5151

They said they did 5,000 cans in the last run. The first half was gone after a day, then the rest went in the following few days as mentioned above.

They said the limit is one case per person.

No mention of how many cans they are doing on this run. Maybe more popular as they got great work of mouth around town with the last release.

21. crico925

crico925 Initiate (195) Jul 8, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I've been for the last two years and had a killer time. It has been a great opportunity to try beers from the breweries down south that aren't really accessible to me (i.e. Monkish, Highland Park). Also, they line the center divides of the street with cornhole and have plenty of food trucks. My fiance isn't nearly as into beer as I am, but she still had a blast (there were enough sours and cream ales to keep her happy ;)). We will definitely be going again next year.

The only bummer was that we showed up a little late and missed out on RR Intinction and Sante's Appreciation.

22. Xul

Xul Crusader (749) May 18, 2008 California

I've got a bit of an amorphous question that hopefully I can get some input on. I'm looking to spend a night in the general Sacramento area (Sac, Roseville, Auburn, whatever) in a few weeks, and my goal is to stay in a fairly central area to have several options to drink good beer, with these specific qualifications:
    1) It will be a Tuesday night, so some breweries are closed (Moonraker for example, I checked, and they're closed).
    2) I will be in Tahoe, Oakland, Berkeley, Redwood City, and San Francisco on other days during the trip, so I'm looking specifically for fairly local beer - Moonraker, Berryessa, Track 7, whoever else I should be trying. If I'm near the Fieldwork Sacramento tasting room I might stop in, but I'll be going to the brewery in Berkeley so it's fairly low priority.
    3) Optimal area would have a couple breweries I can hit in the afternoon, a good dinner spot (can be a restaurant or brewpub), and then a couple bars to have a few pints after dinner. Preference to bars that are focused on local beers (see #2), a bar who has a ton of great San Diego beer or has Cellarmaker handles is of little interest to me.

I know this is a fairly broad question and I've done some research of my own, but I'm hoping some locals can point me towards a good area where I can hang out for the evening, maximize my enjoyment of local beers, and minimize my Uber usage. Any other specific tips - food, something I should hit on the drive from Tahoe to Sacramento, or anything else - are welcome as well.

23. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

It's tough for a Tuesday, as you stated most places I'd recommend are closed (Moonraker, Bike Dog, East Sac places like New Glory/Device):

-Track 7 Curtis Park location is probably my recommendation to start.
    -Oak Park Brewing is not far, I'm not the biggest fan of their beers but they have their following(trying to leave my bias out of this). Cool atmosphere there and they also have a kitchen with some decent food options.
    -Hot City Pizza for pizza and local craft beer. I'm sure they will have offerings from the closed places like New Glory, 12 Rounds, Device etc.
    -Capitol Beer & Taproom to close out the night.

I left out Pangaea café as they usually have Societe, Cellarmaker, Russian River and it sounds like you're not after that. But they have a good kitchen and a couple local options as well. Pretty much located between Track 7 & Oak Park.

atomicpunk5151 and Xul like this.
  24. atomicpunk5151

Sacramento is so spread out with suburbs, it is tough to hit all the best spots in one close location. Several good places also closed on Tuesdays (about 15 places...lol...).

Mid-town is probably your best bet to be centrally located. Track 7 in Curtis Park. Oak Park not much further

For tap rooms....Capitol Beer and Tap Room, Burgers and Brews, and University of Beer are good and close to Mid town Sacramento. You mentioned Fieldwork in midtown as well. Final Gravity in Roseville is great, but a bit of a drive from Sacramento.

Up the hill near Auburn you can still hit Knee Deep and Loomis Basin on a Tuesday. But that might be a little out of your way if you are going straight to Tahoe.

Xul likes this.
  25. atomicpunk5151

One other hidden spot if you are looking to get Moonraker and a few other locals on a Tuesday.

This may sound weird, but Arena Softball batting cages in Roseville. They have a new tap room called "The DRAFT" inside the facility with over 36 beers on Tap (usually about 20 are Sac locals).

http://www.thedraftsportsbarandgrill.com/

Moonraker YOJO on tap
    [​IMG]

badb_rad, DJturnstile and xmcmc like this.
  26. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (167) Oct 6, 2004 California

If you hit up Track 7 Curtis Park, Dad's Kitchen in Land Park is maybe a mile away and always has a solid local selection. They regularly have Bike Dog, Device, Berryessa, etc. Tasty food too.

Otherwise I'd say Marco Gtz is on the money, except I will let my personal bias in and say skip Oak Park.

27. Xul

Xul Crusader (749) May 18, 2008 California

Thanks for the tips guys, looks like Midtown Sacramento is my best bet, with a stop at Auburn Alehouse and possibly Knee Deep on the drive in from Tahoe.

28. atomicpunk5151

One other quick tip if you are in Auburn. For lunch we usually go to the Little Belgium Deli & Beer Bar. It is in old town Auburn by Auburn Alehouse. Very cool little quirky place. Great sandwiches and their famous stuffed avocado. They mix up the beer taps with Belgians and West Coast locals.
    http://www.littlebelgiumdeli.com/beers/

Xul likes this.
  29. atomicpunk5151

Track 7 can release today. Natomas and CP locations.

L&H in VT (NE Pale Ale)

[​IMG]

jakecattleco likes this.
  30. SDRedDevil

SDRedDevil Defender (686) Oct 25, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Any idea how long this will last...till Friday?

31. atomicpunk5151

The T7 facebook said: Only 50 cases available at each taproom for L&H in VT.

Looks like a 2nd can option as well: 40 cases of Malas Palabras Mexican-Style Lager with Lime in 16oz can 4-pks from the taprooms today for $9/4-pk.

32. atomicpunk5151

Track 7's new NE Pale Ale is pretty good. I have enjoyed all of their recent can releases.

[​IMG]

33. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

Anybody know if T7 sold out of L&H cans?

34. atomicpunk5151

They just posted this a few minutes ago on FB:

If you missed out on the L&H in VT yesterday, we have a few more cases at each taproom. Snatch them up today before they are gone.

+++++++

I would guess you better go today or Friday at the latest.

Marco_Gtz likes this.
  35. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

Looks like New Glory has set the new date for the Astro Haze release:

GOOD NEWS! The October 4th date has been secured for this event, and both beers are tasting truly amazing!

Join us for this epic double can release!

- ASTRO HAZE IPA: Northeast Style IPA brewed with copious amounts of flaked oats and Australian Galaxy Hops. Beautiful, hazy, tropical, and juicy!

- GREENERGY DOUBLE IPA: Double IPA brewed with copious amounts of flaked oats, Citra Hops, and Australian Galaxy Hops.

36. mani

mani Initiate (179) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm coming into Auburn next week for a quick business trip. Looks like two nights I'll be there. Where should I hit for dinner? Also, any good bottle shops that I might be able to hit?

37. atomicpunk5151

Lots of good info on Auburn back on Page 1.

Knee Deep
    Moonraker
    Auburn Ale House
    Little Belgian Deli

Also Goat House if you can drive a little bit.

mani likes this.
  38. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

I have heard good things about Auburn Thai Garden for Thai food & craft beer. The owner is really into craft beer. I have yet to make it out there.

Also, for bottle shops you can hit up Final Gravity.

porkinator, mani and theconductor like this.
  39. theconductor

Auburn Thai is most definitely worth a stop! No draft, but an extensive bottle list. Tell Nu (the owner) that you're a beer guy and he'll take care of your pairings...

The new brewery, Crooked Lane, across the street from Auburn Thai is also worth a stop. Though they're still finding their groove, the kolsch and porter are great.

+2 for bottles (and draft) at Final Gravity Auburn. Though I am a little biased ;)

All in addition to what @atomicpunk5151 already mentioned...

40. Marco_Gtz

Beer Trader

Track 7 today:

Double Dry-Hopped Left Eye Right Eye Double IPA coming at you! It's being canned right now and will be ready for you to pick up at 3pm at both taprooms. Only 20 cases are available so stop by today to pick up a few 4-pks.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe