2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,580 | Reviews: 354 | Show All Ratings:
BuckyBeerBeaver

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Brouwerij Bockor nv is located in Bellegem, West Flanders in Belgium, within a stone's throw of the French border. Its origins date back to May 1892 when it produced its first barrels of "Ouden Tripel", and the brewery has been continuously family owned ever since.

Looking to try an unflavoured lambic for the first time, Bucky spotted a bottle of the brewery's Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge ("CJR"). CJR is a Flemish Sour Ale, spontaneously fermented (ie. exposed to wild yeast) and barrel-aged for at least 18 months. The beer is cooled overnight in a large, shallow metal vessel called a coolship and then fermented and aged in large oak foudres which are made in France and assembled on-site at Bockor. CJR came in a brown 330 ml bottle, with a best before date of June 2, 2015, and was 5.5% alcohol by volume.

CJR poured a deep ruby/purple colour with a thin, off-white head that quickly faded into a small collar of foam, leaving some minor spotting and lacing down the glass. Its aroma jumps right out of the bottle at you...black current cordial, wine and sour vinegar, even though none of these things have been added to the beer. Amazing what aromas and flavours the Belgians can generate with their choice of yeasts, grains and hops! The beer's flavour is as intense as its aroma, starting with sweet black current juice which quickly gives way to tart, dark fruits, with a big blast of vinous, vinegary sourness a couple of seconds later. The aftertaste is a long-lasting, acidic/sour flavour that takes a bit of getting used to if you've never tried a lambic beer before. The mouthfeel is quite thick and sticky for a beer with a 5.5% ABV, and its carbonation is dead on...strong enough to play up the juiciness of the fruit flavours without being prickly. Definitely a sipping or dessert beer with its strong sour element.

In summary, a very tasty beer with a good mix of the sweet and sour, though not everyone's cup of tea with its strong, long-lived sour aftertaste. Hats off to the LCBO though, for taking a chance on selling this unusual style of beer. CJR is quite reasonably priced at $3.30 per 330 ml bottle, and I'd recommend giving it a try if you're looking for a style that's out of the ordinary.

04-13-2014 22:54:32 | More by BuckyBeerBeaver
constantine_272

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark brown with translucent red tint. About a finger of white foam that faded to a small ring. Mostly clear, tiny haze. Looks ancient.

S: Dark sour cherry and cranberry. Rich dark wood. Earthy and composted. Fermented tobacco.

T: Starts off fruity with raspberry and strawberry and a tiny bit of blackberry. Huge sour tartness of bitter raspberry black current and dried cranberry. Doesn't have the same earthy tones as the smell did.

M: Finishes long with with big raspberry and strawberry fruitiness. Tanginess finishes with a bit of a tickle it is so sour.

O: Really tasty sour, though it lacks a bit on depth. It mostly only has a tart fruit profile and not much else. Could go for a bit more earthy tones to round out the big lactic sourness.

04-12-2014 02:59:53 | More by constantine_272
dar482

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a hazy copper red.

The aroma has tart lemons in the front, dried white grape peel, tart cherries and raspberries, some malt sweetness,

The flavor hits again of lemon and tart orange, then onto a hint of sweetness of red currant and cherries, some tannins on the finish. The beer cleans off very nicely.

A very refreshing beer with lots of tartness compared to Rodenbach Grand Cru. Where that beer excels in barrel complexity and fruity sweetness, this has aggressive tartness throughout.

03-26-2014 03:40:25 | More by dar482
Alieniloquium

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at Coffee District. Served in a flute.

Appearance - Deep red body. Thin white collar and a few wisps at the surface. Filled to the brim, so apparently it doesn't pour with a big fluffy head.

Smell - Acetic aroma. Caramel malt. Rich and deep caramel. Nice oak.

Taste - Sharp vinegar sourness, but not too strong. Dies down as caramel builds. Oak and vanilla permeate the whole beer. Finishes with a puckering dryness that I feel on the insides of my cheeks.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Ample sourness, but never overpowering the flavors.

Overall - An excellent, easy-to-find sour. Pricey, but then again all sours are. Doesn't always have to be rare to be good.

03-24-2014 23:22:21 | More by Alieniloquium
dank203

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours dark red. getting sourness on the nose, it reminds me of tomato juice or ketchup, and maybe some sweeter overtones as it warms. slightly offensive. the flavor is very well done. its tartness is muffled, pretty friendly. sour apple, definitely strawberry or raspberry notes. do not over chill this, the best came out as it warmed a bit

03-11-2014 20:28:19 | More by dank203
poolemhore

Maine

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - very clear dark amber hue with a small tan/white head that persists only as a ring around the glass

S - funk, musty dark fruit, phenolic, intriguing but not the best I've smelled

T - sweet fruityness quickly turning to extreme tartness and then transitioning to a smooth lingering apple and cherry sweetness, excellent!

M - very dry, astringent, lightly effervescent, pleasing complement to the taste

O - well balanced, subtle complexities under a huge tart punch with exciting flavor changes from start to finish

03-10-2014 18:44:15 | More by poolemhore
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Acquired in a trade as a generous extra, thanks!

A- Pours a copper red hazy body with a modest head that doesn't stick around very long. No lacing.

S- Super funky, leather, lactic acid, sour citrus, some caramel and toffee.

T- Big punch of sour lactic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar. The finish is delicious with roasty, malty, nutty notes. Very nice.

M- Medium-light body, super crisp and refreshing, easy drinker.

I really liked this beer. Wish it was available in bombers, 12 oz just isn't enough!

03-07-2014 03:11:25 | More by gcamparone
JLateralus21

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

I've been craving this beer recently because I moved to New Hampshire and I've found out that the distributors don't sell a large selection of Belgian beers, I drove an hour to Massachusetts to pick up a four pack, and since I went all that way, I figured I might as well review it as well.

This was my first introduction to 'sour' beers, and it still ranks up there as one of my personal favorite beers (of any style).

A: Appearance ranks up there as a 5. It can't get much better. It is a very dark red. Think black cherry. When held up to the light, you can see it is perfectly clear. No haze or sediment. Very very good. Head doesn't linger very long, and small bubbles trickle up from the bottom.

S: You can smell the sourness exploding out of the glass (tulip). I pick up sour cherries, maybe the slight smell of the funkiness from the wild yeast. The one complaint I have for the smell is that it smacks you in the face when you open and pour, yet doesn't last long. I had it set as a perfect 5, and I lowered it half a point for this.

T: For those that are new to the sours, this one, in my opinion, defines the Flanders red style. It is a perfect 5. Initial taste is of sour cherries, you get the lactic acid in the middle, and the end dries your mouth making it want for another sip. Very very good. Leaves nothing to be desired. This finish is very very sour. Almost mouth puckering. A very dry beer. Very little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough for me. Because, as far as the styles go, I have nothing to compare it to. But I just think it could be better, slightly. 4.5/5 is still great, but it just is missing the intangible on the mouthfeel that some beers just have. Can't explain it.

Overall: An excellent beer. For me, it is worth the occasional road trip to pick up a few. One of my favorite sours. This beer started me in the direction of sour over bitterness, in fact, I love sours so much that I recently went to Belgium for a week to try all I could find. If you like this, you will love Gueuze. I believe this beer will open your palate to many more beers, and many more styles.

4.75/5 Outstanding. For me: 98/100.

03-02-2014 23:02:29 | More by JLateralus21
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gorgeous body of ruby like red coloring was capped by a off white head of sticky froth.

The aroma was sweet and tart with a real Sweet Tart like aroma. Tangy cherry, slightly acidic with aromas of wine, vinegar, and sour raspberry.

The flavor is full on sweet, sour, tangy and delicious. Sour tangy cherry, candied Sweet Tarts, balsamic characters with a slight raspberry and sour malt all meld well to make a easily drinkable ale.

The feel is a tinge sour but as the palate warms to it all it becomes all too easy to drink.

I'm partial to Flanders and this ranks as one of the better one I've had.

02-24-2014 00:15:22 | More by KYGunner
BradC

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Deep reddish hues in a tulip glass with a very thin head, almost rouge..

Smells of sour cherries, slight vinegar smell,

Way sour here, tastes of tart cherries, sour lemons, some oakiness, light vanilla and sour!

High carbonation, light body and easy drinking. The carbonation adds to the tartness in the finish.

I've been gaining more and more appreciation of sours and this has to be one of the best I've had yet!

02-17-2014 00:36:21 | More by BradC
cambabeer

2.08/5  rDev -52%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Nice amber deep ruby brown body, simple white head and lace. That's where the good ended.

This is the first beer rated well on BA that I really hated. I'll chalk it up to I don't like this style, but there are other beers that aren't my style but I can tell they're actually good and I enjoy them as a change. Not such here.

This beer smells of funk, and tastes of it too. It is far to sour and tart in the taste. There's a little cherry and slight malt in the body, the only ok qualities. Really it tastes like vinegar, quite seriously. I'm not ok with this. I respect this beer, but couldn't finish it. It may be your style, but goodness it is not mine. Sorry to rate what I guess is good beer as so poor, but I have to rate the numbers I feel reflect my opinion.

Hate to admit it, this was a drain pour.

02-15-2014 06:05:54 | More by cambabeer
Stevedore

4.2/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz bottle, states 03 on the bottle, unclear what this means. Poured into a 2013 Cantillon Zwanze glass today, 2/4/2014. I think Gunch sent this one as an extra; thanks for this one John!

App- pours a dark ruby-brown body, fairly opaque but illuminates nicely to show an dark amber body. Minimal <1 finger white head, minimal retention, no lacing. Looks bubbly.

Smell- Tart cherry, strong oak tannins, lots of vinegar, faint hints of musty, earthy funk.

Flavour- Quite tannic, vinegar which makes for a 6/10 sour quotient, more earthy funk than in the nose. Some tart cherries comes out, similar to Supplication but not as intense on the cherries (I know this is not made with cherries), and certainly nowhere near a Kriek.

Mouthfeel- Thinner-medium bodied, less carbonation than expected for the style yet still very drinkable despite its acidity. Mouthfeel is a sour earthy fruitiness that doesn't stick around for long.

Overall- Very nice Flanders red, probably the best shelf Flanders red I've come across. I certainly enjoy this more than Rodenbach Grand Cru, but the price point ($20 for a 4-pack) does deter me a bit even though I know sours are usually more expensive.

02-05-2014 05:19:30 | More by Stevedore
NODAK

Tennessee

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured this one into my oversized Duvel glass...took up just about half of it!!

Brilliantly fruity and tart aroma. Among the more tart that I've smelled....makes the taste buds twinge a bit with the vinegar on the nose here.

Taste wise, this one is no joke when it comes to sours. Unlike some others which highlight fruity sweetness a bit, this one is a citric acid extravaganza! So fruity....so full of vinegar. My taste buds water with this one. I even wince at first. But it's a good wincing. I love tart things, and this is no exception. And my acid reflux doesn't like it, either! I probably couldn't drink more than one.

Oh man, this is quite an experience. One of the most sour beers I've ever had. But I look forward to drink after drink, even though my eyes close sometimes at just how sour it is.

01-12-2014 02:09:23 | More by NODAK
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Not the most impressive-looking beer, especially with the little head it produces. The head dissipates quickly and leaves only bits of lace. The liquid is dark brown with hues of red, somewhat intriguing and mysterious and this redeems the lack of head.

The sour cherry aroma hits you the moment you crack the cap, but other aromas are less forthcoming and only emerge as the beer warms. Once it does, the yeast becomes more apparent, as do some sherry and wine-like notes and sweet vanilla.

Much like the aroma, some warming is necessary to allow this beer to come alive. Initially, I detected the sour cherries and yeast but little else, but eventually the sherry, oak and vanilla emerged.

The beer is very vinous, tart and then mouth-puckering sour, before leading into a dry, wine-like finish.

I enjoyed this beer, especially as it warmed more, but I still didn't detect a lot of the complexities that I would have expected. It was good, but not my favorite sour.

01-06-2014 22:16:10 | More by ONovoMexicano
thebigredone

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Wow, can't believe I've missed out on this one for so long.

Pours a deep reddish/purplish brown with a nice two fingers of head.

Smell is of lactic sourness, oak, and red fruits.

Taste is brilliant. Strong sourness, very ripe cherries, and oak. Strong sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is great. Strong acid but very, very smooth.

Overall, I love this beer. One went down way to quickly, I'd love to drink a couple of these at a time.

01-01-2014 19:31:02 | More by thebigredone
titty_mcbitty

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful dark dark reddish-brown with foggy ruby tones when held up to the light. Not much head, but that's okay. It is a very good looking beer.

S: Sourness or tartness, cherries, sugar, maybe some vanilla as well.

T: Best part... tart cherries and plums dominate. Vinegar and acid next. Cream, wood, vanilla, kind of an oak-y character, yeast, strawberries, syrup, maple, nuts, and blush wine. This is damn good.

M: Medium-light with a good amount of carb. Pleasant creamy feeling. This is a perfect mouth feel for this beer- I wouldn't have it any other way.

O: This is a perfect Flanders Red and I recommend it to everyone who can get it. The price may look daunting, but it's worth it and relatively cheap for an aged beer like this one.

12-29-2013 04:33:46 | More by titty_mcbitty
MaineBrewing

Maine

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - poured a clear dark amber almost mahogany with loose small head that did not last long. Although wasn't expecting much head, it still looked lively and the color was great.

S - strong sour aroma with a great fruityness, mostly cherries, raisin. Slight Brett character, peppery, as well as some enticing sweet notes of caramel, molasses and slight chocolate.

T - taste is mostly sour, a strongly acidic sour. Only in the finish can a malt character be found. Dark candied fruits can barely be discerned, although they are present, they would be a little more forthright with less acidity.

M - on the thick to syrupy side for the gravity, ample carbonation. Alcohol not present.

O - not able to surmount the acidity to really get any of the flavors I found in the aroma, I felt from the nose I was going to get more complexity. This example is a little one dimensional. It is rather enjoyable none the less, with an approachable price point. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few more for the celler, it's just not blowing my mind.

12-28-2013 04:36:27 | More by MaineBrewing
steagall

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

a: clear beautiful dark red color

s: smell of wonderful flanders red funk. you know its gonna taste good simply by its smell

t: wow. might be too acidic for some, but its prefect for me. ph tested at around 3.2.

m: just right for the style

o: by far my favorite flanders red. If you are the kind that likes the more extreme sours... this is for you.

12-27-2013 15:17:39 | More by steagall
bennetj17

Arizona

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark, tawny-amber color, with a reddish glow in the light. Good clarity. Thin tan foam quickly dissipates to a ring. The aroma hits the nose as it is being poured. Very intense, dominant tart cherry and raspberry notes, with hints of ripening. Touches of oak, faint herbal hops, a bit of earthy funk. Awesome aroma.

Strong cherry fruit character in the taste as well, moderately tart, but balanced slightly by a vanilla caramel sweetness. The flavor doesn't seem too heavy on the oak. Alcohol seems low. The carbonation is just strong enough for the style, and the body has a touch of syrup-like character but is mostly clean with a light to medium thickness.

Overall a very nice example of the style. The flavor is quite intense and enjoyable. While the light sweetness gives a good balance, it hangs slightly in the finish, and I think I would have preferred it to lean even further in the sour direction. Perhaps a few more months in the bottle would round it out nicely.

12-26-2013 04:50:04 | More by bennetj17
VincentFrey

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pour / Appearance: A beautiful red, with hints of amber outside the light. Thin but resilient head, indicates a nice bit of carbonation which sometimes doesn't happen after 18+ months of barrel aging. Pours nicely and easily; no real sediment or anything in the bottle that might make you lose any of the 11.2oz. Hits all the marks for a Flanders Red that I know of!

Aroma: Some sour apple and vinegar, as is expected. Definite lactic notes accompany, with a backing of light oak. Not terribly complex but no real need for it. I could certainly see it lilting too far toward vinegar / apple for some but this is traditional flanders.

Flavor: Fantastic. I wish this were more available, as it could even compete with my standby Rodenbach Grand Cru. Vinegar dissipates but is still there, and it cuts through the remains of a small lunch. The oak becomes more apparent, lending some tannins along with soft, soft vanilla. The sourness is consistently biting, and the beer changes very easily with the temperature.

Overall: A great Flanders Red, but pricy at about $5.69 a bottle or $22/4pk. I'm not going to be importing this instead of sticking with my Rodenbach standby, but only because of the shipping.

Bottom Line: Buy if at all possible if you like sours or reds, or traditional Flemish brews. If anything above sounds unappealing, it's there in spades, so buyer beware.

12-21-2013 17:49:17 | More by VincentFrey
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Crooked Stave Tulip.

Appearance- Kind of a mahogany/cherry color with quick bubbly off white head that left a little lacing.

Smell- Cherry, malts, light vinegar, light lemon, light oak. Not too crazy, but nice never the less.

Taste- Real acidic up front with cherry and wood dominating the taste. Some raspberry and stone fruit comes in too. Lemon and cider vinegar finish. Real nice.

Mouthfeel- Pretty highly carbonated with heavy tartness and acidity to balance it out. Lighter body.

Overall- One of the best flanders reds I've ever had. Well balanced with great flavors going on.

12-21-2013 01:58:16 | More by Seanniek91
bergdj

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think "Whoa" was the first thing that came out of my mouth after I had my first sip. Really hits you with sourness. More sour than any other sour beer I've tasted. I get a lot of tart apple and cherries up front with a lingering sour aftertaste. Enough sweetness in the middle to balance it out. The dryness makes it a very drinkable beer. Just noticed it's almost gone as I'm writing this! A great price for a sour.

12-05-2013 19:43:34 | More by bergdj
Ri0

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 11.2oz bottle into Teku.

A - Dark, dirty ruby color with a 1.5 finger off white head. Leaves a small white ring around the glass with no lacing.

S - Tart cherries, sour apple, vanilla, with hints of cocoa and oak.

T - Very intense tartness of stone fruit, green plum, cherry, and sour apple. I pick up the vanilla and oak in the middle. Finishes with a lingering tart sourness. This is pretty sour, with a bit of sweetness to knock it down a bit.

M - Light bodied with excellent carbonation. Mouth puckering finish.

O - This reminds me of New Glarus Enigma, but with much more acidic quality. This is a fantastic Flemish sour and worth the price; $22 a 4 pack.

12-01-2013 20:06:45 | More by Ri0
ludachris

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The body is an intense hue of garnet red, only truly visible by light. It's perfectly clear, but its dark shade gives it a murky look. A finger's worth of fizzy pop-like head crackles for a moment before it dies and moves to the edges of the glass. The carbonation is very lively. Small streams of tiny bubbles rocket to the top.

The nose is deep and rich with plenty of sourness. Sour cherries and white grape juice mesh with sweeter notes of red apples, oak, and soft vanilla. A bit of cocoa is sprinkled on top as well. Although the influence of the barrels in terms of aroma isn't prominent in the nose, it's clear that they have done well at rounding and smoothing everything out.

Immediately there's a burst of sour cherries and tart grape skins. Paired with the carbonation, the sour quality has a bit of a candied edge and makes me almost pucker. Mulled red apples come in a flash midway through. As the sourness continues, the dryness becomes more apparent. By the time it reaches the finish, the palate is completely dry with a punch of tartness that sticks at the back of the throat. This, along with sweet cherries is the last impression. The oak does play a part in the taste even though it's subtle. It gives off a touch of sweetness and similar to the nose, helps to round everything out.

What really jumps out about the body is its fizzy carbonation and its incredibly dry feel, both of which help to compliment its delightful sourness. It's medium bodied and its dryness makes you want to take sip after sip.

Sours are still a broad style I'm exploring and getting use to. With that being said, this is most enjoyable sour I've had to date. It's smooth and the sourness is perfectly rendered. What a treat!

11-25-2013 23:18:43 | More by ludachris
CAMRAhardliner

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a bright, clear ruby color with a frothy, shortlived head. While quickly receding to a ring, it musters up plenty of lace trails on the glass. The aroma is of sour cherries and oak with some yoghurty acidity and chocolate, indescribably complex. The taste is sublime. Excellent blend of sourness with malt flavors. Redolent with fruit - tropical fruit, berries, grannie smith apples, cherries. Lactic mouthpucker. Iron, blood, mineral. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a creamy, textured carbonation. The nuanced sourness lasts a long while in the finish. Oak and malt fruitiness also lingers.

This is a benchmark Flanders Red Ale, we were so fortunate to have it at a great price at the LCBO recently. Full of flavor and depth. Worth seeking out.

11-23-2013 03:42:04 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.