Old English Ale | Redoak Boutique Beer Cafe

Redoak Boutique Beer Cafe
Australia
redoak.com.au

Style: English Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by laituegonflable on 03-01-2011

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Clear red colour with a thick creamy white head. Good head retention.

Toffee malt aroma with plenty of dark fruit and chocolate. Mild port note. Good.

Rich, rounded bread and toffee flavours. Mild English hops. Toasty. Very good.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Quite creamy.

A decent malty ale with nice balance of flavour. Certainly one of the better Redoak beers I've had.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear ruby colour, nice shimmer with off-white head, dense and pleasant around the edge and sinking slowly. Pretty nice.

Wow, where are those hops coming from? Pleasant hop aromas but there's little English on here, it all strikes me as Pacific American. Citrus freshness, with pleasant nutty notes, a touch of pine and caramel. Pleasant, but not what I was expecting from something calling itself an Old English Ale.

Yeah, that cultural jarring continues on the palate.Pleasant vanilla biscuity malt notes on the front with hops coming through early. Not sure what variety they are but there's plenty of citrus-forward character with candied orange, grapefruit bitterness and notes of walnuts and pecans as well. With this I really expected a milder, cleansing sort of ale and instead I'm getting a fair amount of hop bitterness and fresh fruit notes. Kudos for a nice beer, but I disapprove of the marketing and I'm compelled to call it an instance of Redoak's sort of preying on the uninitiated and just spreading misinformation about beer. This is pleasant, but it's not a well-done English beer.

Full, fairly slick body, with not a lot of carb. Pleasant. This is more in keeping with the English style, smooth and creamy and good.

Very drinkable and tasty beer, for my palate. But I just can't get past how much this beer is not "old" (which I might take to mean "in keeping with tradition") and not "English". This is like ordering a filet mignon and receiving a plate of buffalo wings instead. Both pleasant, but hardly interchangeable.

Old English Ale from Redoak Boutique Beer Cafe