Clone Ale | Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant

Clone AleClone Ale

Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant
Iowa, United States
oldemainbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Simply a "Clone" of an American classic, this American Pale Ale is crisp and clean with a noteworthy hoppy bite. The subtle malt background balances out the refreshing ale.

Added by bditty187 on 10-27-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Had pint on tap at Olde Main in Ames, IA.
Billed as a pale ale, the dominant taste up front was malt and biscuit; more than expected but not off-putting. The hops come in rather late and linger. I would not call this a balanced APA but it was decent and a rather different flavor profile compared to others of its type. Not sure what it's supposed to be a "clone" of; not SNPA, for sure. I'm surprised at the number of low ratings; perhaps it doesn't bottle well. At $3.50 a pint I would buy this again, for sure.

3.36/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured vigorously into a tulip glass, this pale ale gave a reasonable head and a nice hop aroma, but definitely isn't is the class of the best pale ales. It tastes fine, had a good feel, and I collect beer labels and I like this one. I don't understand all of the harsh labels, if I was in Ames I wouldn't have any problem drinking one of these beers. When I went to ISU back in the 70s we had to drink beer that was much much worse!!

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

3.08/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a color more toward the brown end of the spectrum rather than golden (as many apa's are described). The nose is unremarkable - no impression of hops. The taste is good - somewhat malty for an apa and not very hoppy. Mouth feel is about right. I found this a very drinkable if unremarkable ale, but I'm from Ames and I'm a Cyclone fan, so what do you expect?

I think those that trashed this beer were overly harsh, or perhaps the brewer is inconsistent. Certainly there are better apa's but this isn't bad.

1.3/5  rDev -50.8%

I had one of these from a 6-pack of 12oz bottles which I poured into a frosted glass mug about 2 years ago. This was the 2nd to last beer I had from Olde Main and I don't think I'll be having any more. I was really harsh on this beer rating-wise because I feel like it's criminal for Olde Main to call this a beer. Every beer I've had from Olde Main tastes really flat even though the bottles are carbonated. This beer was one of the only beers that I couldn't finish the 6-pack on.

The beer literally tasted like seltzer water with a bit of pale ale flavoring added. I really shy away from things that are named from sports teams, so when I saw a 6-pack at Hy-Vee I normally wouldn't look twice, but it was on sale for like $5.00 so I thought I'd give it a try. I want to try to be constructive and examine the good and bad points of this brew, but this is just ridiculous. I can understand having lower standards because the customer-base at Olde Main is largely college students who don't now any better, but this beer is downright terrible and it's unfair to try to honestly critique it. It appeared golden in color and had a decent head, smelled really "weak" and as I mentioned it tasted like seltzer water, not beer.

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.94/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from an inch or so above the glass leaves a big white to off white head above a clear golden colored ale.

Aroma is a light sour lemony almost soapy, with some citrus hops notes.

Taste is of light lemons with a little citrus hops through in which makes an almost decent tasting APA, I wouldn't might drinking a few of these to get a better feel for them.

Slightly watery which makes a smooth drinking light to medium bodied beer with a slightly dry aftertaste that still holds a little bitter hops bite to it.

4.5/5  rDev +70.5%

1.94/5  rDev -26.5%

poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

a-somewhat cloudy bronze color with about a 1/2" head that diasappeared rather quickly leaving a little lacing, at least it looks good there may be hope for it

S-sweetness and maybe a little corn kind of like frosted flakes

T-not a lot of flavors here but it seems to me something like bitter nuts like walnuts and then holding a penny in your mouth, so not very good at all

M- carbonation was ok not over carbonated.

O- I had this the other day straight from the bottle while watching monday night football and did't think it was that bad, but after pouring into a glass and getting some air to it seems to open it up and not in a good way. I boiled some brats with it also and could smell some carmel malts to it so I was hopeful it would have some good flavors. I really wanted to like this one since it is my hometown brerwery, but try as I might I just can't. It is not what I would call a Pale Ale (no hops taste or smell anywhere) so if you are going to drink this just go straight from the bottle.

2.41/5  rDev -8.7%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with minimal head retention

smell: sweet, malts,

taste: sweet, malts, medicinal,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: not very good. but always happy to try beers I can't get in my home state.

Cheers,
The CPJ

2.16/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz bottle picked up by my wife on her recent adventure into iowa. drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass.

A- a strong pour yields a somewhat hazy golden colored body with a finger and a half of bright white head. little to nothing gets left behind as far as lacing goes. the head is quick to dissipate.

S- very subtle nose here. cereal grains with a little bit of herbal and floral hops. i dont like where this is heading.

T- the taste is just as subtle as the nose. it starts out with some pale malts and cereal grains. after that i get an odd metallic twang. light floral and herbal hops at the end.

M- light bodied with an almost unmeasurably high level of carbonation.

D- nope. avoid this. i didnt like it at all. thanks again to my wife for picking it up, but this isnt a worthy pale ale at all. no hops, no malt, no body....its nothing but carbonation.

3.68/5  rDev +39.4%

Slight haze to an orangish liquid. Just over one finger of head forms and has very good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma is the weakest point of the beer. Just faint citrus hop and pale malt aromas.

I love the malt bill used in this APA. A little toasted and musty. The citrus hops compliment the malt nicely. Bitterness and hop presence are a bit low for a moderen APA. There is nothing in the flavor that tells me this is a subpar beer.

The body is on the lighter side and has good carbonation.

With a little more hops this could be a very good APA as the malt side is very good as it is. More of a gateway pale ale at this point but it seems to be well crafted. Maybe the brewer got some things worked out and are not putting out a better product than the previous reviewers were drinking.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast