Ye Olde Shillelagh | Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant

Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant
Iowa, United States
oldemainbrewing.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

We named this traditional Irish red ale after Irelands traditional beating stick, the shillelagh. A shillelagh is a stout knotty walking stick with a large knob on the top/business end. It was originally used thousands of years ago to “settle disputes” (read: give beatings). If one was lucky enough to win said dispute we imagine that they’d celebrate in a traditional manner, with a beer. A malty red ale to be specific, one with a deep auburn color and pronounced flavors of biscuit and toffee. Just like Lucky Shillelagh Irish Red.

Added by mdwalsh on 03-15-2011

Liked:
3.48/5
Alströms:

3.48/5  rDev 0%

A: A little hazy, actually a lot hazy, and maybe a little too dark, but reddish and with a nice, creamy looking head.

S: A lot of roast, way to much. Pretty blunt aroma as well.

T: ICK. I was told Olde Main was better on tap. It's not. The same metalic taste I remember from the other beer I had, followed by a processed banana taste only eventually giving way to a little caramel malt. It is slowly improving I suppose, but still a little odd. There's no crispness here, it's very rounded and again, blunt.

M It's really much thicker than I expected, too thick. I think most Irish Reds are too thin, but this one goes way beyond the sweet spot into density.

Ye Olde Shillelagh from Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant