Original Oak Aged Beer

Jun 19, 2022
Added:
Sep 15, 2003
SCORE
Good
Original Oak Aged BeerOriginal Oak Aged Beer
Notes: This is our firstborn brew, whose accidental discovery started our story in 2003. Its originality also lies in its singular taste – notes of biscuity malt and vanilla swirling within a creamy, mellow character.

A pioneering beer, its flavour finds favour with brewing juries, blind tasting panels and barflies alike.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.82/5  rDev +2.1%
by LanceBiggums from Canada (AB)

This one is a certified hood classic. I thought this was the best and most luxurious beer in the world when I was in high school. Spent many summer nights out in the woods and fields, off my head on this stuff and the weed. It pours a light, almost-clear yellow amber, with a big three-finger off-white head. The smell is mostly sweet caramel and maybe vanilla,not much going on. The flavour, on the other hand, is actually quote complex. Toffee, caramel, vanilla, big banana notes. The hops presence is quite subtle. It is definitely on the sweet side. As for the feel, it goes down smooth as ever, almost as easily as any 5% lager despite its 6% and strong flavour. That being said I don't think I could swig this back like I used to in the old days. The sweetness, the toffee, the woody taste, and the bookings would all become cloying very fast. Overall, although now I know there are many beers out there that are much better, it does still hold up as a pretty good beer - and of course, it's a bit nostalgic too.

Jun 19, 2022

4 by Stengelfoot from California on Jun 13, 2022

3.5 by Bruno74200 from France on May 25, 2022

3.75 by KT3418 from Colorado on May 10, 2022
by menaker

One of my favorites, great flavour to drink with or without food,

Jan 12, 2022

3.02 by MacStinson from Michigan on Jan 03, 2022

4.43 by Gukkor from Texas on Dec 07, 2021
by Pegasus from Texas

Appearance: Medium golden body with just a touch of haze, crowned by a somewhat coarse and superbly persistent white head. Striking Belgian-style lacing adorns the glass wall. Streams of fat bubbles drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: The aroma is quite surprising, with fresh butter, sweet caramel, bread, and grassy notes, with just a hint of oak.

Taste: The taste opens with some moderate oak, a note that I associate with Scotch Whisky, and truth be told, vanilla wafers. As the taste progresses the oak and Scotch Whisky notes intensify a bit. Finishes with a lingering note of mild oak.

Mouth feel: Full, soft and smooth, with a ghostly zest of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A most unusual example of the style, quite unlike any other I have tried, but pleasing, nonetheless.

Presentation: Packaged in an 11.2 0unce, 335 ml bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a Lan Fin du Monde chalice.

Nov 07, 2021
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by JonnoWillsteed from England

Blind-tasted except for the beer's name and brewery/country, zero reviews below read (yet!)...
L- Bright amber, pours clear with a 1Cm just off-white head. [email protected]+10mins it holds well and forms lacing on the way down.
S- Mild, I thought I got a whisky note on the first sniff, but not thereafter.
T- Ooh! I thought it was quite a rich tasting ale and was considering that when towards the finish in leapt a whisky note
F- It has hoppy-dry on the front, malty/rounded richness in the middle and a pretty solid whisky note adding a twist into the finish.
O- I'm enjoying this more than I was expecting; not least that it's something a bit different. It suits a wet and cool evening well. To be clear, this beer has a whisky edge to it, so if you don't favour that it might work less well.
Review #1913/scoring all done, now the reveal, I get to read the bottle lables to see what I missed! ==> 'Single malt whisky cask matured. Hints of vanilla, toffee and oak. 6.6%'
330ml bottle £1.50 reduced from £1.80 BB: Aug-2022 (printed on neck) Bought from Waitrose, west London.

Jun 29, 2021
4.33/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by Stephenkerr from Massachusetts

Really darned tasty. I'm finding considerable partiality to barrel aged beers, so perhaps the bias will begin to lift as I increase my powers of discernment. In the case of this one - nice soft vanilla underlining the rummy mouthfeel.

Mar 24, 2021

4.46 by ScrewyLoops from England on Mar 23, 2021
3.94/5  rDev +5.3%
by Beerboe from Missouri

Best by Nov 21, so it's plenty fresh.
"Our unique Scotch whisky barrel ageing process unlocks flavours like vanilla and toffee, which combine with the malty character of our Golden Ale to create an incredible taste experience". I find that description pretty well sums it up. I like it and won't try to compare it to Scotch Ales, which are a totally different style. I only wish some of the reviewers below would have done the same.

Mar 14, 2021

3.75 by Chipwells from Georgia on Feb 05, 2021

3.93 by hopley from Massachusetts on Jan 31, 2021
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
by Nass from Florida

The pour is amber colored. The taste is oak, vanilla, & molasses. Cheers! B-

Nov 15, 2020

4.04 by bondjedi from Washington on Nov 06, 2020
4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
by Richard_Hung from Florida

This is the most flavorful scotch ale that I’ve ever had. It’s good. Really good.

Oct 29, 2020
4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
by Rug from Massachusetts

Best by May 2021

I have mixed feelings going into this. While I’ve heard great things about this, my first Scottish ale was not good at all

Pours a clear amber with just over a finger of off white head that quickly fades to a cap and leaves minimal lacing

Aromas of red malt, vanilla, peat, and underripe apple. Lighter notes of pepper and brown sugar

Up front I get charred oak and toffee which contrast nicely. Mid palate brings tart apple and sweet vanilla along with more toffee and light orange. Incredibly balanced taste here, I’m impressed

This is light medium bodied with quite mild carbonation. It drinks a little watery but finishes mostly dry and is refreshing for a barrel aged beer

This was better than I expected! I really did not like my last Scottish ale, but the balance here was great. I’ll have to get this again

Jul 22, 2020

3.39 by Jaasoares from Virginia on Jun 30, 2020

3.85 by Sparky44 from Illinois on Jun 10, 2020
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by InspectorHound from Canada (ON)

Look: Pours a coppery translucent shade, with amber highlights. Almost the colour of mid grade maple syrup. One 1/2 finger white foamy head with good retention. 5 minutes after pour there is a 1/2 finger foam around the entire top of the glass.
Smell: Sweet, a touch of a Belgium ale yeast smell.
Taste: Earthy, and slightly dank. Malts stand out on the front. The whiskey barrel tastes are more subtle than I remember from past experience, but the oak and peat becomes more prominent as the beer warms.
Feel: Midlevel creamy. Smooth on the front of the tongue, the sides and palate. Nothing going on on the tastebuds in the mid to back tongue.
This beer earns a solid B to B+

May 17, 2020

3.79 by smi69 from New York on Apr 17, 2020

4 by dannycohen62 from Illinois on Mar 10, 2020
2.69/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2
by Jackman42 from Michigan

I blind taste tested this against Skull Splitter and Dirty Bastard. I love scotch ales and this unfortunately disappointed. While the smell was okay, I found it almost undrinkable yet was able to finish it (I’ve poured out a few). Due to the fact I finished it I give it a two rating.

Feb 22, 2020

3.84 by BeardedWalrus from North Carolina on Jan 25, 2020
3.99/5  rDev +6.7%
by James94 from England

L: Orange/gold colour, pretty lacing, some kind of head lasts
S: Vanilla, toffee, alcohol, oakiness
T: Bitter hops at the front, sweet toffee notes at the back
F: Balanced carbonation, alcohol is there but a bit more well-hidden than on the nose

O: 4

Dec 31, 2019
4.34/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by chitoryu12 from Florida

Look: Fiery amber with some visible rising bubbles. A quarter finger of white head with very long retention.

Smell: Sweet malt, orange peel, warm spices, bubble gum.

Taste: Sweet, biscuity malt with a slight bubble gum note on the underside that fades for mild hop bitterness. Mild toasted malt is prevalent throughout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with very high carbonation.

Overall: Despite the controversy over their faux barrel aging, this remains an excellent beer that I would gladly drink any time.

Dec 17, 2019

3.62 by tgdavis from Tennessee on Nov 20, 2019

3.86 by 4ster from Canada (ON) on Nov 02, 2019
1.63/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5
by SMinkey from Canada (BC)

This beer has changed. Looks like the millennials got a hold of it as it is awful and now makes me bloated because they use not just any barrels.... all barrels.. including rum, without labeling the bottle. It used to be my favourite beer and now it's ruined. As of 2019, I will never be drinking this stuff again, pity as it was a phenomenal beer. Hope the company will read this at some point.

Aug 04, 2019

4.12 by patriotjack from California on Jul 16, 2019

3.75 by kuhndog from New York on Jun 04, 2019

3.75 by godawgs from Louisiana on May 11, 2019

1 by JLapadura from New York on May 01, 2019
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%
by Oh_Dark_Star from Washington

Way way better than most scotch style ales I've ever had. Try this before you say you dislike the style. Reddish copper clarity with an inch of white foam. Toffee, biscuits, caramel joy!

Apr 21, 2019
3.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by octortus from Canada (ON)

500 mL Can. ABV 6.6%.
Appearance: Clear, Deep amber-copper, One and a half fingers of off-white puffy head, Low carbonation, Slight lacing.
Aroma: Pear, Toffee, Bread, Oak, Whisky.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, Creamy, Smooth, Low carbonation.
Flavour: Sweet caramel, Pear, Honey, Whisky finish.
Overall: Well crafted, but I think Innis & Gunn's marketing plays a bigger factor. It's enjoyable, a bit sweet and perhaps could benefit with a bit more bite (personal preference). I like that you can smell and taste the whisky from the barrel. Let it warm up a bit.

Review: 17

Apr 19, 2019
4.08/5  rDev +9.1%
by Jarling from Massachusetts

Definitely enjoyed this, and hopefully I'll find it on tap sometime. I appreciated the complex flavor, and smooth/mellow character. I would love a variant of this that was richer/creamier/maltier. Maybe something a kin to Belhaven's Wee Heavy and Boulevard's Plaid Habit.

I rate hard, so a 4 good.

Apr 06, 2019