Max Rye Strong Ale | Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill & Brewery

Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill & Brewery
Georgia, United States
maxlagers.com

Style: Rye Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by glid02 on 12-08-2010

3.82/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at the brewpub.

Pours a clear and slightly dark copper color with a half-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of bright floral, citrus, and pine hops, in that order. Backing everything up are mild amounts of grainy pale malts and milder amounts of rye spiciness.

Tastes a lot more one-dimensional than it smells, unfortunately. Moderately dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by a mild soap-like flavor. Pine hop flavors join in shortly thereafter along with smaller amounts of earthy and citrus hops. Rye spiciness comes into play midway through the sip and carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass but by the last third the muddled malt flavors were beginning to wear on me.

Overall I was hoping for very good things out of this beer after I gave it a sniff but the flavors let me down. Just behind the middle of the pack for Max beers.

Max Rye Strong Ale from Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill & Brewery