Black Magic Rye P.A. | Iron Springs Pub & Brewery

Style: American Black Ale

Added by monkeylovebeer on 11-29-2010

4.75/5  rDev 0%

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Now this is a pint of different color--OK, it's actually the same color (blacker than black) as the Mocha Porter, and the tight head, although a third as thick, does look a little milkshakey, but that where the similarity ends.

The nose this beer throws is all hops: Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo all up front and heady. I went into this one blind, but upon first sip, I realized I was drinking the thickest, toastiest, Black IPA I ever had. Iron Springs uses 100 pounds of chocolate rye malt per batch, and that roasted character anchors the high BTUs very nicely.

This is a new one on the board, and I hope it sticks around a long time.

Black Magic Rye P.A. from Iron Springs Pub & Brewery