Black Soul | Sixpoint Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2005

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by Kendo:
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Was in NYC on business last week and stopped at the Ginger Man. This was my last (Imperial) pint of the night after a Victory Golden Monkey (talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!) and I scribbled notes on their beer list menu. Hope I didn't miss anything. . . .

The beer was very dark brown, almost black, with a dark tan/brown head that lingered nicely. Immediate scent of roasted malts, chocolate and a bit of coffee with no real hops in the nose. As for the taste: at first the chocolate seemed a tad overwhelming, but after a few swallows I noticed a bit of the coffee flavor too. All in all I kept thinking "mmm -- chocolate," but towards the end of the glass I realized that a slight hoppy flavor was lingering on my tongue as well, so it was more balanced than I initially thought. As for mouthfeel and drinkability: it is not a light beer, and it did take me awhile to finish the pint (which may explain why I noticed the hops later on, as it warmed up a bit, or it may just be that I couldn't get past that initial chocolate sensation after the Golden Monkey I'd just had). However, this is a tasty porter, one that I would classify as a perfect dessert beer. While I wouldn't drink it all night or for an extended session, the balance and smoothness would allow you to have more than one, even with the heft of the body.

If you like a tasty porter or stout and are lucky enough to come across this, I would highly recommend you give it a try.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a dark brown/black color with a huge fluffy tan head.

The aroma had a wonderful amount of roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Quite roasty.

The flavor is fantastic of tons of coffee with a hint of dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is medium and not watery like some other porters. The finish has this delicious herbal, earthy bitterness. I at first thought this was a black IPA because of the wonderful balance of roasted malt and bitterness on the finish.

A truly enjoyable beer and I wish Sixpoint canned this as I would drink this all the time.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Was able to give this brew a try while at The Ginger Man the other night. On Tap, was poured to what I am figuring would be a dark brown color, but where I was sitting it looked black due to the lighting. Had a perfect tan head that excellent retention and left chunky lacing at the top and rings down the side of the glass. The nose was of heavy roasted malt aroma with chocolate and coffee, but neither where pungent and with some of the other aromas it just tied it together perfectly. This is an exceptionally smooth brew, definitely had what you would expect in this brew with roasted malt flavors, chocolate and coffee upfront. Also you can notice a slight alcohol taste that goes well with the brew. At the end I notice some hop taste and a slight lingering smokiness. Overall, this brew was exceptional, just hope that we can get some of it upstate. I would recommend anyone that likes porters and stouts to give this one a try!

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Black Soul from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.