Gypsy's Kiss Bock

Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
granger10 from Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev +24.7%

The only bock I have had before is the Michelob AmberBock, and that's no bock. So it's sort of hard for me to judge this against style. Here goes. Pour is a dirty brown, car rust looking color, seems a little flat as well. Smell is really weak, I can get maybe some caramel but not much at all. There's a slight sweetness in this beer with mainly caramel notes but they're kind of dry. Hops are very weak, they're only supposed to support the malts in a bock but I'm not completely sure if they even do that. The finish has an astringent lingering malty flavor that's nice then gets a little annoying. Seemed kind of one dimension and not too complex. I think this beer could use a little more complexity, more residual sugars in there along with maybe some more bittering hops, and maybe some more liveliness to it with more carbonation. Body is medium but not real smooth. I'm guessing that this is brewed with ale yeast instead of lager yeast. All in all this is an enjoyable beer, straghtforward and to the point maltiness without making me think about it too much. I liked it enough, but it has room to improve.

Dec 31, 2004