Evil Entity Black IPA | Cornerstone Brewing Company

Added by jampics2 on 05-24-2010

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.5/5  rDev +35.5%

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a dark black coffee body with a one finger tall creamy tan head.

Scents of burnt caramel, orange peel, and a hint of pine.

Tastes of roasted caramel, orange, grapefruit, charred malts, and pine.

The mouthfeel for me is a bit of an issue the carbonation borders on being to heavy and is coarse and biting in texture.

Overall not a stellar bipa but also a solid go at the style. It does tend to drink somewhat like a hoppy porter but I don't think that steps out of style guidlines for what should be an ipa with more roasted malt character.

2.76/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap @ Fat Head's First Ever Brewer's Brawl. Billed as a "Black IPA with an imperial complex, roasted character balanced with sturdy hopping rates resulting in an evil yet well balanced entity". 75 IBU's.

So, I really wanted the barley wine but apparently it wasn't pouring well, so I got this instead :(

Looked OK, black color and a bit of cream colored head.

Smell is roasted malt, some nice hops (simcoe?), but WAY too much caramel. I'm loosing the black IPA thing here.

Taste is just like I feared. It's not horrible but it has way too much caramel sweetness, giving it an under-attenuated impression. Like a sweet porter with a ton of citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is OK and drinkability was average. Just not my thing, I guess. I like much less caramel sweetness in a black IPA and more straight up roast and chocolate.

Evil Entity Black IPA from Cornerstone Brewing Company