Demolition Strong Ale | Elliott Bay Brewing Co.

3.79/5

Elliott Bay Brewing Co.
Washington, United States

Style: American Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2005

Reviews by Hopmodium:

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

A - Served a medium orange with a light tan head.

S - Nothing? What? Malty.

T - Some hoppy bitterness and Carmel.

D - Solid body and lots of carbonation.

O - Described asan ipa by the waiter, but not sure whst it was. Miss of the night. Lets try something else.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

One of my go-to IPAs at EBB.

Coppery color. Balanced beer where the high IBUs are noticeable but not overpowering. Solid IPA but don't quite get the flowery, citrusy spicyness expected in a big IPA. Get a little more carmel and malt along with the bitterness. Also don't get the black Sharpie flavor you sometimes get in big IPAs which is a good thing for me. .

I actually enjoy having them pour half Highline IPA to make a High-Demo. I will mention is that EBB is practically my 2nd home. Great food, beers, and people.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

indeed, this is not quite an imperial ipa, not really a strong ale, and just a bit out of the abv range for a pale @ 7.5%. oh well.
coppery goodness with a pretty nice head, floral and spice hops are in my nose. the malt is pretty straightforward, balancing well with the earthy spicy hops and leaving a clean aftertaste. i liked it but i was hoping there'd be more hop to it as i thought it was an ipa at first. it was, merely an imperial pale ale. even still, quite drinkable, just the smallest amount of complexity in the hops.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Since this is listed here as a "strong ale", and the breweries website has no info on this brew, I'll review it as such even though I think this is more like a big Pale Ale. In my opinion the gold standard for the Strong Ale category is North Coast's Old Stock Ale.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a lovely coppery-amber color with just under an inch of slightly off-white head that had minimal retention and left a little better than average lacing.

The aroma was predominately citrus hops, with some malt and spicy hop notes in the background. The flavor was virtually identical to the aroma, nothing new revealed on the tongue.

The body better than average for a Pale, but way too thin for a Strong Ale. Drinkability was very good, this beer could very easily slide into my regular rotation.

Overall, a very good beer that is worth some effort to try. The numbers on my review don't reflect how much I like this beer. If there is a style change I will happily change my numbers.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Demolition Strong Ale from Elliott Bay Brewing Co.