Blueberry Stout | Hideout Brewing Company

Style: English Stout

Added by StoutHunter on 04-22-2015

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.17/5  rDev -17%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours clear nearly pitch black color with a 2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big blueberry, blackberry, plum, chocolate, cocoa, toast, dark bread, light coffee, herbal, and yeast/roasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of blueberry, roast/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop notes; with good strength. Taste of big blueberry, blackberry, plum, chocolate, cocoa, toast, dark bread, light coffee, herbal, and yeast/roasted earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/roasted bitterness and slight fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of blueberry, blackberry, plum, chocolate, cocoa, toast, dark bread, light coffee, herbal, and yeast/roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness, complexity, and balance of blueberry, roast/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop flavors; with a great bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready, and slightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice fruited English stout style. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of blueberry, roast/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Blueberry Stout a couple weeks ago for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. It's time try another new Hideout beer and I'm interested to see how the blueberry works with this stout, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage, Beer 18 Batch1 Bottle 6 of 78. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- It poured a nice black color that didn't really let any light come through and it had one fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the blueberries being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural blueberry flavor that is just a little tart and there's some other nice berry aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which are on the light side and they impart some roasted malts, sweet malts, and light chocolate like aromas. This beer has a good aroma, but I wish the roasted malts showed up just a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the blueberries still being the first to show up and they are lighter this time and it's more of a mixed berry flavor that comes through this time. Up next comes the malts which show up a little more than they did in the aroma, but they are still a little on the light side and they impart the same aspects with the roasted malts sticking out the most. On the finish there's just a slight bit of bitterness with a watery roasted malt and berry like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the malts and the blueberries were both a little bolder.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly silky, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a solid example of the style, I really liked how the blueberry showed up in the aroma, but I wish it was more like that in the taste with a little more robust stout base, but it was still a nice beer and it didn't have any off flavors or carbonation issues like some of the other Hideout bottles that I've had. This beer has nice drinkability, one glass is the right amount for me, but I won't have a problem drinking the whole bottle. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the lightness of the stout base and the lighter blueberry flavors. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't mind trying it on nitro. I can't say it's highly recommended but if you like Blueberry Stouts I think this is worth a try. All in all I liked this beer, but I thought it was just a little rough around the edges and I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer. It's not a favorite Hideout beer and I think it's just a little above average, I would rather have Darkhorse's Tres Blueberry. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty good beer.

Blueberry Stout from Hideout Brewing Company