Barrel Aged Cyclopes | Hideout Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Hideout Brewing Company
hideoutbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by StoutHunter on 04-24-2015

3.85/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Barrel Aged Cyclopes a couple weeks ago for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. Out of all the Hideout bottles I picked up this is the one I'm most excited to try, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Beer 12 Batch 1 Bottle 74 of 78. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label doesn't look that great, I'm just not into the design and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't really let any light come through with a little over one fingers worth of bubbly tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I don't have any complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the cherries being the first to show up and they impart a nice natural cherry aroma and tart aroma followed by the barrel which imparts some typical funky barrel aromas with some noticeable oak aromas also showing up. Up next comes the stout base which is a little grainy and it imparts some roasted malt, sweet malt and chocolate like aromas. This beer has a good aroma, each aspect shows up pretty evenly.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the cherries still being the first to show up, but they are a good amount lighter than they were in the aroma and they are followed by the funky barrel which is also a good deal lighter with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the stout base which is also a little lighter, but it imparts the same stout aspect with the roasted malts and chocolate seeming to stick out the most. On the finish it's a little watery with maybe a slight amount of bitterness and a light amount of tartness with a light tart cherry, light funky barrel and light stouts like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice beer, that's exactly what it is says it is, but I still wish it was a little bolder.

M- Smooth, not acidic, a little complex, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is good and it works well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was pretty much exactly what they claimed it to be with all the aspects showing up pretty evenly and I thought they worked well together. This beer had nice drinkability, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, but I know i won't have a problem drinking the full bottle. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, is was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is that the taste wasn't as bold as the aroma, if they were both on the same level this would be a pretty good beer. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind trying the non barrel aged Version. I would recommend trying this if you want a sour stout that's on the light spectrum of the style, it would be a good introduction sour stout to see how you feel about the style. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer, I just found myself wishing that the taste was as bold as the aroma. So far it's up there as one of the better Hideout beers I've had and while this is nice I still prefer Jolly Pumpkin's sour stout. Nice job guys, this was a pretty nice beer, keep it up.

Barrel Aged Cyclopes from Hideout Brewing Company