Red Curry Ale | Hideout Brewing Company

hideoutbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by StoutHunter on 05-12-2015

3.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Red Curry Ale a couple weeks ago for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had a couple curry beers before and I thought this one was worth taking a chance on, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle in a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little plain looking and the fact that it says curry is the only thing that makes it eye catching. It poured a muddy red color that's slightly brown and it takes on more of a amber red color when held to the light with a finger and half of tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I think the color needs some work.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the curry being the first to show up and it imparts more spice aroma that is a little curry like, but it's the coriander that sticks out the most and that makes it a little unbalanced. Up next comes the malts which impart some nice toasted malt, caramel malt and grainy aromas with some doughy yeast showing up towards the end. The aroma is nice, but I wish the curry aspect was more complex.

T- The taste seems to be a fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the curry still being the first to show up, but it's a little lighter this time with the coriander still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which seem to dominate the taste with some toasted and caramel malt like flavors. On the finish there's a weird slightly tart flavor that seems a little out of place with a caramel malt and coriander like aftertaste. This is a decent tasting beer, but I thought the malts were too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty average for the style, the Red Ale base as nice and noticeable, but I found it to be too dominating in the taste and I wish the curry aspect was more complex. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, half a glass is enough for me. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma it was nice and it had nice balance. What I like the least about this beer is the taste, it was unbalanced. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I can't say I would recommend it. All in all this beer wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either and I think it needs some work. It's not a favorite Hideout beer and it's average for a curry beer. This one needs just a little more work.

Red Curry Ale from Hideout Brewing Company