Hired Gun Red | Hideout Brewing Company

Liked:
4/5
Alströms:

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4/5  rDev 0%

3.72/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Hired Gun Red last week for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. A Red Ale sounds pretty good tonight and I thought this one would be worth a try, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking, but it's also a little eye catching. It poured a very cloudy amber color that took on more red amber color when held to the light with almost a fingers worth of bubbly light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patching lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, but I wish it wasn't so cloudy.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with malts being the first to show up and they impart some grainy, bread crust, caramel malt and light toasted malt aromas. Up next comes some fruity yest which imparts a bright berry like aroma that's unexpected, but nice and I didn't pick up any hop aromas. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, the fruity yeast makes it a little unique.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart those same malty flavors with caramel malts and bread crust aspects showing up the most. Up next comes the fruity yeast which is a little lighter than it was in the aroma, but it still imparts the same fruity aspects. On the finish there's no bitterness with a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it has a very malty aftertaste with a little bit of that fruity yeast showing up in the background. This is a pretty nice tasting beer and it's a little unique for the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a pretty nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style and it seemed to take the malty and fruity yeast route instead of the hoppy route that most Red Ales tend to take. This beer had good drinkability, I won't have a problem drinking the full bottle. What I like the most about this beer was that it was a little unique for the style. What I like the least about this beer is the appearance, it was just too cloudy for the style. I might buy this beer again, but it's a little expensive for what you get. I would recommend trying this if your a fan of the style and you want a Red Ale that's more on the malty side. All in all I was happy with this beer, I didn't know what to expect but it turned out to be pretty nice and I enjoyed. It's not a favorite Hideout beer and it's above average for the style. Nice job guys, this was a tasty Red Ale, keep it up.

Hired Gun Red from Hideout Brewing Company