Fulton & Wood: My Shout

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Fulton & Wood: My ShoutFulton & Wood: My Shout
Notes: Introducing our next Fulton & Wood Release My Shout.

Named for an Australian way of calling the next round of beers, My Shout brings a style to Chicago that has rarely been seen in the US. Brewed specially with an Australian sparkling ale yeast, hints of apricot and stone fruit combined with mild but spicy and citrusy hops make My Shout a refreshing way to forget about the subzero temperatures here and take a 16-ounce trip to summer down under.
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 37 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.42/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

February 2015 vintage; drank 3/3/15 @ Fischmans.

See-through orange appearance; champagne bubbles throughout.

White head; a curtain of lace.

Mild peach & champagne yeast in the nose.

Thin mouthfeel.

Mild peach & champagne flavors; effervescent but forgettable.

3.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am in the midst of a Goose Island horizontal as I continue to beat down The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & while the bottles have slowed to a trickle, the floodgates are poised to reopen on The CANQuest (tm).

From the Bottle: "Est. Chicago 1988"; "Sparkling Ale"; "Sparkling Ale with hints of Apricot, Stone Fruit and Citrusy Hops"; "33 IBU rating".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, C-Line pour which produced just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention, leaving nice lacing behind in its wake. Color was a solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose was very fruity, especially laden with apricot & peach & I did not really need them to tell me that. It was readily obvious on the nose. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not watery, but not as full as I would expect from any iteration of an Ale. The taste was interesting in that it had a low bitterness, but a pronounced jammy, fruity quality, like peach & apricot preserves or butter. It also had a biscuit maltiness which worked extremely well with the fruit flavors. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing & a nice change of pace from what I normally expect in the style. I know that I usually get down on APAs that do not measure up to SNPA,but this one had a totally different design & kind of gets a break from me. YMMV.

4.37/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured into a Belle*Vue Framboise 'champagne' glass (seems fitting)...love the very sparkling appearance, massive pancake head that mutates into quicksilver/subsiding effervescence...deep straw...on the tongue is sings dry and subtle but let repeat this often so it can build...amazing oscillation between 'this is some sort of pale ale mutation...this is a bubbly something else?"...hits on all points in conjunction with the mouthfeel...lush yet thin...bubbly yet smooth...flavors are very spectral but this isn't some double or imperial IPA/APA...it's light, broad...the finish is designed to stare at the elongated sunset horizon and keep (steadily) sipping. impressive! an imperial session ale!

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

Taste: Apricot stone fruit notes, mix with a crisp dry champagne mouthfeel. Earthy stone fruit nose. Honey/gold hue, cloudy, with a thin delicate head and lace. Medium body. 33 IBUs

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This nice little apa pours a nice
amber color with a dissipating head of white foam that settles to a
thick ring, thin layer, and showcases some rather attractive lacing.
Nose of honey malts, subtle caramel, subtle spicy and herbal
hop notes, and a touch of apricot. Flavors follow the nose with
subtle apricot mingling with spicy hops and sweet honey malts
in a well balanced symphony. Nice mouth feel; medium body,
medium high carbonation, and a lightly sweet hop touched finish.

Overall, a solid brew from a great brewer who presents their
version of Cooper's Sparkling Ale which is a personal favorite.

Nice

Cheers

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hazy orange body with a soapy white head, no lace or visible carbonation. The nose is mostly bready yeast and malt, with a bit of mild fruits like apricot and nectarine. Finally, a generic bitter, spicy hop note adds itself, mostly sneaking by in the yeast Trojan Horse. The taste is ambling, mild, loosely based on malt and yeast but with those nuanced fruits blending in, too. Call it delicate, I call it weak. To add to that, none of it is particularly tasty. It offers a small amount of bitterness towards the end, and is very dry. The feel is nice; light bodied, tiny prickles of carbonation (but not enough), a teensy bit sticky.
This would be a great beer with super powerful foods, like some spicy thai, because it would just be there to drink and you wouldn't feel bad for ruining your palate or trying to analyze it as your mouth burns. I'm always dubious of beers that claim to be inspired by non-beer cultures (German or Belgian, sure. Mongolian or Burkina Faso, no.), and this beer did nothing to change my views. Sorry GI and Australia.

4.06/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Goose Island Beer Co. "FULTON & WOOD MY SHOUT SPARKLING ALE"
12 fl. oz brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON : 17MAR17" and sampled on 24JUL17
$1.83 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well I can only assume that this is intended to mimic Cooper's Sparkling Ale, one of my all time favorite beers. The appearance is similar with a hazy amber body with golden highlights beneath a finger-thick head of frothy white. In the nose I'm finding some moderate yeasty fruitiness and earthy/mineralish notes over a very light malt base. It's floral as well. They've suggested apricot on the label and unless I'm being led by that I think that fits quite well. The flavor is sharp with some acidity that's almost citrusy but doesn't quite get there. It's light-medium in body and "sparkling", although not to the levels that I recall from Cooper's. It does bristle the tongue though. The same fruitiness found in the aroma is present as well and it basically goes from sharp to fruitiness to spicy and dry in the finish with some lingering fruit and fading malt. There's some apple and light plum in there as well. It's quite nice and really unique. Why this style never became more popular I'll never know. It's sharp, fruity, refreshing, and remarkably drinkable. This version doesn't quite hit the same character level as the Cooper's that I'm so fond of but damned if I wouldn't buy a case or two of this! I'll have to look for it but I think I'm too late to the game.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had at Rockit Burger Bar in wrigleyville. Served in a pint. Pale, mildly opaque to translucent in color. Head held for a long time. Little bit of Skunky smell. Effervescent mouth feel.

Fulton & Wood: My Shout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 82 out of 100 with 37 ratings