Ryno 23 | Goose Island Beer Co.

3.45/5

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by Redrover on 06-13-2005

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

3.29/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this one over the summer during the Red Sox-Cubs series. I figured what could have more local flavor than Ryno 23?

This one poured with a thin, bleach white head and a very light caramel colored body. The best part about the beer is the aroma, which is fresh and biscuity, and certainly has me pining to taste. There's good balance, a caramel-like malt flavor is offset just enough by a piney hop resin. Its steady but not outstanding in that aspect. The finish is more of a scratchy, dry film and also leaves kind of a butterscotch-like remnant. Very average IMO.

4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

Ryno 23 ale is made to celebrate Ryne Sandberg’s induction into the hall of fame. You know what, I think they did Ryno proud with this beer.

Sampled at the Wrigley Field outpost, the beer is a nice dark bronze with a dense off-white head and very impressive lacing patterns.

The beer has a nice aroma of hops (I’m thinking cascade) and toasted malts.

The bar tender told me it was a Blonde, but I would have guessed this was an APA due to the nice aggressive hopping. Nice citrus (oranges) with a bit of fresh pine resin type taste. Beer is well balanced with the wheat malts adding a pleasant counterpoint to the hops. This beer went great with the buffalo calamari and patty melt I had.

The mouthfeel was solid and a bit oily. Drinkablity is very high, I’m not sure of the ABV, but the pleasant and somewhat complex taste makes for a perfect session beer.

Congrats to Ryno for going into the hall and congrats to Goose for making a very enjoyable summer ale!

Ryno 23 from Goose Island Beer Co.