Preseason Lager | Goose Island Beer Co.

good

Added by Bdyzr76 on 12-25-2016

Reviews: 23 | Ratings: 76
3.51/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours amber with tall, long-lasting, fluffy white head. Aroma is of grassy hops and caramel and biscuit malt. Body is medium and crisp. Herbal hops and bready malt fill the mouth. Finish is long and bitter. They should’ve used different hops.

3.57/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a beautiful orange/copper color with lots of carbonation that had me slow down my pour. The ivory colored head did not last long however. Nothing special in the aroma, malty with no real grapefruit and pine (advertised on label) that I could detect. Flavor is the same, very malty with little bitterness in the finish. The carbonation is fine and overall not a bad beer. I would drink again if offered this beer, but wouldn't seek it out.

3.61/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear amber color with a two-finger head of tan foam. It smelled piney and roasty. Good burnt toast maltiness with piney and citrusy hops. Light to medium bodied.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a glass.
Enjoyed with a friend on the front porch.

Look: Nice light amber, bright copper hue. Clear as a bell, effervescent. Dense and frothy head stuck around til the last drop. Impressive.
Smell: Fresh and bright smell, some citrus, malty undertones. Not really getting grapefruit or pine in the smell, but close.
Taste: A moderate, refreshing hop punch upfront. Grapefruit rind and pine needles. Then a malty, yeasty taste settles in. Little aftertaste. Very clean.
Mouthfeel: Clean and smooth.

I almost did not buy this...the description on the label says "grapefruit and pine aromas". All I can taste is another great brew with a smooth blend of hops and malts....... It also has a great aftertaste .

3.86/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Looks are good. Redheads catch the eye, different (and often fully bodies.)
Smell gives me mostly malt allure with just a touch of spicy fruit as background music.
Taste lets me down a bit as the malt is still prominent but the spice tries to steal the show and finishes to dry for me to have a second without food.

Good as a refreshment after exercising, I'm going to guess that this goes well with some salsa like foods... maybe Indian, too. I'll try that with my next Preseason. Those food should hide some of the dry finish.
GI is a master marketer and I believe they made this beer for that very narrow segment of malt-heads who like spicy food (which describes me well enough in a sentence.)

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted from a 12 ounce bottle at Charlie's on March 23, 2017. A nice hoppy lager for enjoying a preseason baseball game during spring break. Recommended if you are in the mood for a lager.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

With Lagers being my guilty pleasure I was very happy to find this beer. It reminded me a great deal of Brooklyn Lager, hoppy and with caramel malts. Delicious. In the aroma I did not get the pine and grapefruit mostly just the Saaz type of lager smell. Which is ok. Taste had a lot working. Fruity esters, caramel malt and dry hoppy mildly bitter finish. Went too pick. Please brew more and put in pint cans.

3.43/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottled 12/16/16 poured into a pint glass at fridge temp. Pours a bright copper color with an inch of off white head. Head is gone in minutes but lacing is there leaving just a trace behind. Smell is grapefruit & pine as advertised on the label but very faint and I'm not sure I could have picked it up without the clue. Taste follows smell, again faintly, with malt overwhelming the hop flavor. There is a bitterness at the end that is consistent with the 48 IBU mentioned on the label. Mouthfeel is smooth and well carbonated. Overall, this is good, if this is what you are looking for. An amber/red lager with some hop presence.

3.86/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very nice malty lager. It pours copper with fluffy two finger head. The aroma is biscuity malt with light citrus and pine aromas. They aren't strong, but are definitely there. The flavor is really refreshing, tHe sweet biscuity malt gives way to a light pine finish. It's not overbearing and leaves you ready for another sip. It's a solid lager from goose.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Marvelous copper color with great clarity and a creamy white head. The aroma is fresh and hoppy, with a hint of malt. The hop scents are clean, with some citrus and a bit of grass. The taste is nicely balanced, with plenty of malt and a clean finish. This is a wonderful, flavorful, straightforward lager. I wish there were more beers like this.

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decent scent to this beer. Seems to be a good mix of malt and hops. To me, not the best flavor profile with some sort of caramel malt clash with the hops almost creating a metallic tinge with an ok ending. Easier to take as you drink it.

3.51/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The approved pic does not do it justice, but the label is meant to evoke the vines on the outfield wall at Wrigley Field (I think). Wouldn't it be cool if they grew hop bines in their place? I might actually feel nice towards the Cubs if they did. I am a lifelong Pirates fan with divided AL loyalties among BAL, OAK & the CHISOX. I also feel strongly about bottles, but I cannot seem to get shut of them. Here is another example.

From the bottle: "Amber Hued Lager * Grapefruit & Pine Aromas"; "Hops grown for Goose Island at Elk Mountain Farm Bonners Ferry, Idaho".

It was a very fresh bottle, but the earlier Deschutes lager left me gun-shy since it was bottle conditioned. I am taking no chances! I Pop!ped the cap and commenced a very gentle pour. It was an unnecessary exercise as the beer's clarity was bright throughout. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. A gentle in-glass swirl raised two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, light-tan head with good retention. I'll buy the "Grapefruit & Pine Aromas", but they were not pungent. Instead, they were rather muted. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was slightly bitter, but there was also a biscuity maltiness to it. It was kind of an odd duck, I mean, Goose, since it just did not seem to go anywhere or achieve anything. I wonder what they intended for it.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Goose Island Beer Co. "Preseason Lager"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON DATE: 23JAN17BF67" and sampled on 22FEB17
$2 @ Wegmans, King of Prussia, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Preseason lager. At least it's not another IPA - "What the world needs now", right? "GRAPEFRUIT & PINE AROMAS" though, so we'll see. Clear deep amber/copper color with a bit of a reddish cast beneath a short head of off-white foam - it's dropped in the time it took me to get here in my review, so that's not good. It's still got a full surface covering though, although it is mainly whispy. The smell is malty! And there's also pine and fruit, which includes citrus, although I wouldn't call it straight-out "grapefruit". It holds promise, let me taste it... nice, toasty and nutty malt with some almost minty herbal notes and a marmalade-like fruitiness that does have a citrus edge to it. I'm pleasantly surprised at its richness, and I'd think this would actually be a great fall beer, although it works for me right now as the snow is starting to melt outside. The listed 48 IBUs are doing their job and it's kept in check - very nicely balanced, not just in bitterness and maltiness, but also in flavor. Just a little more malt would have thrown off the fruitiness, or vice versa. Impressive. Very clean, and nicely polished. I wasn't expecting a malty beer but here it is. Medium bodied and gently crisp. Nicely done.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear orange-brown body, creamy yet coarse head that leaves webs of lace, plenty of bubbles rise. Nose offers balanced bitter and acidic fruits and toasted malt with an overarching floral quality. The taste better defines these fruits as grapefruit and orange rind and even some juice and the malt as bread crust and biscuit, which is actually appealing to me both individually and collaboratively. Body is medium weight with too biting and coarse of carbonation- too filling and harsh to enjoy taking successive sips.
This makes anyone who dismisses lagers as boring cereal grain swill drink their words. While it was just as annoyingly over-carbonated as most BMC products, it had more meat to its body and much, much more character. While it wouldn't stand out among other legitimate craft-level products, it was tasty and, again, a refreshing reminder of the potential of lagers.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep amber with a heath head that dissipates quickly leaving a mottled layer that initially clung to the side of the pint glass but disappearing with almost no trace.

Only grapefruit and pine was on the label.

Balanced flavors but with pleasantly more depth. The played well with the color

A little thick but consistent with the color and taste.

Definitely would grab one of these again.

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

To tell you the truth, I'm stunned at how drinkable and delicious this beer is. Was a little hesitant because of the alleged grapefruit and pine aromas, and thought picking up a twelve pack was going to be repeated stupidity after not enjoying Goose Autumn Ale too much after buying a twelve pack, but this one takes the cake for one of the best Goose beers I've had yet. It's crisp like a lager with the bite of a mild, drinkable pale ale, blended elegantly, and good to session, despite its tad higher ABV.

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Saw this and bought it without knowing anything specific about it, I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I expected a golden color but it pours a nice amber red with a decent head. Aroma is soft malt with a hint of hops. Flavor is dominated by the malt but the hops show their presence on the tail end. Really a nice lager, crisp, bright and not plagued with being overly sweet. Will definitely buy this again.

3.94/5  rDev +5.6%

The pine flavor comes through more so than the grapefruit, I'd rather have it the other way around but it is still a good balanced flavor. It's worth buying again.

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful rose red gold color with solid cap and good lacing.

Rather mild malt aroma with a hint of floral, citrusy hops.

Solid lager flavor being both rich and crisp at the same time. Malt is full without being sweet and the hops, while apparent from the beginning, don't really come into play until the finish and really shine in the aftertaste.

Full rounded body that feels more than medium.

On first taste I immediately thought Alt or perhaps Dortmunder. My take anyway the value of which combined with some out of pocket expense would buy a cup of coffee. I like the way they managed to balance a fullness with crispness, quite a high wire act. The hops (don't know what they are) seem to bring a New World take to an Old World style. It doesn't stray far to call this a modern update on a time honored classic. As a Helles fan myself I believe this is good grog.

4.23/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I try rate to style and for my money this is an exceptional lager. It has German traits with a touch of American hop presence. Obviously this is an amber lager but the beer looks beautiful in a glass. The first step of any good lager is proper head and lacing and this beer executes fantastically. It belongs in a stein. The nose is subtle as is the case with most of the beers of the style but there is a light piney hop aroma. The flavor profile isn't far off from a Marzen to be honest. The 48 IBUs are restrained. The winning aspect here is the mouthfeel. The mouthfeel reminds me of some of Great Lakes lagers, especially their Okto. It is both crisp and smooth and not every beer can pull that off. For a lager, it is just as I want it to be. Overall this is a nice beer and a great "off season" Marzen replacement. I was pleasantly surprised.

3.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Kidney bean red with a butter color head.

Nose of caramel, raisin, white baked bread crust, grapefruit and blueberry.

Flavor is pretty hoppy - pine and grapefruit with a touch of caramel roll. Some raisin-like flavors on the finish. Just doesn't come together well.

Feel is wet and quenching with a dry, scathing finish.

Overall it's not my kind of beer but I could see other people liking it.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Goose Island Preseason Lager just placed on the shelf in a HyVee, 6 pack 12oz bottles.
The label states that it is a Amber Hued Lager with grapefruit and pine aromas, that is made with Elk Mountain Farm hops..
I like it..
L. Golden Amber hue.
S. Malty with a bit of pine-citrus smell.
T. It reminds me of Goose's Honker's ale with a bit of a citrus accent. It's not very hoppy , and has a nice malty taste to it..
M. Smooth malty feel..
O. It reminds me of Goose Island's Honker's Ale with a bit of citrus taste to it. It's a very clean malty lager.. I really like it..

This is my first review of a beer on Ba.. My favorite beers are from Weihenstephaner (Lager, Pils, and pretty much all of them), I am not a huge hop head, and like a good clean tasting beer..

Preseason Lager from Goose Island Beer Co.