Barrel Aged Brett Barleywine | Goose Island Beer Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

Added by cnbrown313 on 05-22-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 4
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was excited to see something new on the "barrel aged" section at the Goose Island Brewpub, so I gave this barrel aged barleywine with brett a shot. On tap, served in a cervoise glass.

A - Pours thick and cloudy, with a brownish / red color. Cool looking beer with (what appears like) lots of live yeast floating around.

S - I was expecting some funk, but it actually smells more like a sweet lambic. More sour smelling than I expected.

T - Tart and sour up front, but this is immediately balanced out by the sweet malty backbone. Very interesting barleywine. I'm not sure what kind of barrels they used, but I can taste the oak for sure.

M - Mouthfeel was medium for the style, which I liked, since I don't like super-thick and cloying barleywines.

O - Definitely worth trying and a very unique take on a barleywine. I'd like to see GI keep experimenting with the sours and the funk...

Barrel Aged Brett Barleywine from Goose Island Beer Co.