Ginger's Winter Warmer | Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

santacruzmountainbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by RunDWP on 02-23-2009

2.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.73/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a hazy gold color, really hazy, like a hefeweizen, with a decent white head.

Light clove and spice notes on the nose, as well as some sugars and candies.

Taste is of light ginger, cloves, other spices, and creaminess. Some general sugar sweetness from the malts, and a crisp mineral like, and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Feels thick in the mouth.

Drinkability is good. This is a unique brew. I had a ginger beer from Caldera at a brewfest that I prefer, but this is still tasty and worth trying. With that said, this seems like a curious style for winter, as this was pretty refreshing on a warm spring day.

2.71/5  rDev -14.8%

I guess the busty, voluptuous woman in the slinky Santa outfit on the bottle label must be Ginger. Over the years, I've met women like Ginger, who look great, and are rather enticing, but get to know them and they are rather unfulfilling, harsh and leave a bad aftertaste. I'm afraid Ginger's brew is a lot like these women.

Now it looked good when I poured, the liquid a lush golden yellow, with the white foam gently caressing the sides of my tulip glass. Light aroma of ginger, with a slight underlying sourness, which was a bad omen of things to come. How to describe the taste? I believe ginger was added to a wheat ale, as there is a grainy, wheatiness, with a harsh ginger and sour taste on top of it. It is unique and interesting what Ginger is trying to accomplish here, but that doesn't mean it is good. I just don't think this worked.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking here, but even if this worked, it would be more of a lawn mower type beer, than a beer one would drink in winter time. Sure, winter in Santa Cruz is different than most winters elsewhere, but this beer doesn't suggest enjoying on a rainy day in the 40's with a stiff breeze blowing off the Pacific.

Momma always told me to stick to the "Mary Ann's", anyway.

Ginger's Winter Warmer from Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing