Hopsquatch

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: An American style IPA brewed with a single variety of hop and a simple American grown grain bill allowing the hop to be "front and center. We created this beer using 3 grains, a two row brewers base malt and a small percentage of toasted malt and red wheat malt. The real star of this ale is the new Citra hop which gives off loads of character and will be recognized as heavy citrus, grapefruit. Much of the hop was used late in the boil preserving all the character of the hop without going over the top on bitterness.

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Some numbers on the bottle, but not clear when it was bottled. Please be clear Mad Anthony. I won't buy an old hop forward beer and I hate it when I do. I took a chance on this as I was traveling and liked the only other beer I had from this brewery. Bottle says 7.5%, which works for me. I love single IPA''s just on the edge of double strength. Beer looks great, smells even better. The Mosaic hops really come through. I put this beer up with the best Mosaic single hop beers I've experienced. The taste is outstanding. I would like for it to be a tad dryer in the finish, but that's minor. I'll seek it out whenever I'm in Indiana.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottled 11-9-16 bottle marked 7.5abv, not 6.8 listed by Beer Advocate.

L: Yellow orange color. Poured 1/2 white head, good lacing on sides of Sam Adams glass. Good carbonation.

S: floral, mango, sweet, then pine. A little alcohol at end.

T: citrus, mango and grapefruit hops at front, sweet then bitter hops, but not overly bitter. A little burnt.

F: more typical of dipa.

O: not quite the overall total pleasing tastes of a zombie dust. Good but probably wont try again for the price.

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

I was at the Bourbon Bacon Beer Festival in Fort Wayne, IN last weekend and I was super impressed by this beer and it was definitely my favorite there.

A - Vibrant darker orange color. Quite clear with a great fine white head and moderate lacing.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit that you would ever want all packed into one glass. Mostly pineapple mixed with citrus, grapefruit, and some pine. I can barely describe the awesomeness.

T - Terrific hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and resin hops. This beer isn't the typical "C" hop explosion since there is a great complimenting tropical fruit flavor. There is some malt, some caramel, and some alcohol but it is all in the background when tasting this beer. The bitterness is firm but with so much flavor it only adds to the beer

M - Medium mouth feel with moderate carbonation. Basically only the hop flavor sits on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I never wanted to stop drinking it.

Overall, a terrific beer. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This was definitely the best in show at the festival and I can't wait to get this one again! Not necessarily the best DIPA I've ever had but I could drink that beer forever!

Glass- 4oz. tasting glass

Bought a pint glass at the Angola Mad Anthony tap room.

It's clear golden color with a nice 3/8" head. The citra hops are definitely the first thing you aroma. Upon tasting, the first thing I noticed was the malty sweetness and the hops are more nicely balanced by the malty sweetness.

Overall this is my new favorite at MA.

Hopsquatch from Mad Anthony Brewing Company