Rosie's Old Ale | Barley John's Brew Pub

barleyjohns.com

Style: Old Ale

Added by fantome on 03-01-2004

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours rusty dark brown with some ruby highlights, and a thin light tan head. smell is great bourbon and oak with light dark fruits . Taste very bourbon forward with raisin and plum mixing in ,toffee and toasted malt round this out. All components of above mentioned meld well together nothing dominates,lower carbonation with ABV warmth, this is a sipper.

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at the Great Taste of the Midwest 2014...
Walked up to the Barley Johns Booth, asked for a pour of Rosies...the guy rolled his eyes at me and asked if I had ever tried the base beer...Wild Burnette. I said I hadn't and he proceded to pour me a glass to try...I took one sip of Wild Burnette, and then took a sip of my buddies Rosies...Dumped my glass on the ground, handed it back to the guy and said Rosies please...its THAT good...Like sweet ice tea on a hot summer night, perectly balanced....I could drink it by the pitcher...The best Old Ale I have had too date...too bad its only made every three years! I am in love

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I've avoided reviewing this over the past couple of months because I didn't want to sully the memory of it's sweetness, but here I am...again. Six times back for this beer, & counting. Another wildly expensive ($9) five ounce pour.

The pour is my favorite, redhead, with red highlights. The smell is like sticking your nose into heaven, but who cares? I want this in my mouth, not up my nose. Onward.

Rosie's Old Ale is a purebred work of art. The overwhelming impression is one of fine, artisanal caramel created by gorgeous virgins & imbued with a kick of searing, high-quality alcohol. After that perfect onslaught of caramel, almost nothing else matters. Huge sweetness. Great balancing vanilla with a slow, subtle burn of bourbon that never overpowers the beer. Dry. Five ounces at a time is probably a good idea given the ABV, but I could go at this in pint glasses & die happy.

This beer has that elusive "X" factor that so many brewers strive for & so few achieve. A dull rendition of the tastes - barrel, caramel, blahblahblah - just doesn't do it justice. This is liquid poetry, the formula probably found on ancient stone tablets delivered by some pagan god. This is perfect beer #5 for me. Simply stunning.

4.82/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

At 18% I expected some rubbing alcohol taste, but none present at all. For the ABV, actually remarkably smooth drinking. Brewery pours a 5-6oz pour. Taste lingers well, rum and raisin present.

Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma, which is the only knock I haven't against this awesome beer.

Rosie's Old Ale from Barley John's Brew Pub